Trailer tyres

locodave

I think that with Trailer tyres, they don't wear out, they just get hard

and when they get hard, they can be a bit slippery. I bet yours still have a heap of tread on them

but general wisdom suggest that 6-7 years is long enough

The Sun kills everything here and add that to the saltwater dunks. If you were able to keep

the trailer out of the sun then you might still have a good set

Have a look at the stamps on the tyre and that will tell you the year of manufacture.

Also look at them for cracks. Is your trailer braked?

Anyway, to answer the original question, I'll take a look when I get back home

and tell you what I got.

Edited by antonywardle

Hello Raiders!

Let's get deep then!

So tyres have a manufacture date on them, after speaking to few people the lifespan is about 5 years especially since they don't get used that often. Sit in the garage and sag.

I had a leaking tyre and I know if you leave it like that it will damage the sidewalls. My tyre kept going flat and I kept on pumping it up. I knew I had to get new tyres but was waiting on the new rims to arrive first. Don't want to do the job twice.

Jumped on the freeway and had a blowout. All good, had all the tools until I realised the rubber had wrapped around the disc. Couldn't get it off with what I had so called up the marine club and they came out to help.

Here is the tyre!

So I am going to replace all 5, just want a good brand. So far Nakang seem to be popular and that is what I have.

Also was advised to have tyre pressure at 36psi but on the tyres it states 60psi. After doing some reading I think people agree to have it close to the rating so 50psi would be good. But not sure about this!

post-2301-0-15205700-1455506417_thumb.jpg

There's plenty of decent tyres in the market to choose from.Just make sure your tyres maximum load are rated higher than your rig fully loaded weighs.And keep in mind the maximum load is rated at maximum inflation pressure an stick with name brands.

You run lower pressures the tyres carrying capacity reduces accordingly.

People will tell you they run lower pressures for a better ride but there's a higher chance of having a blowout due to the tyres overheating which will eventually fatigue them especially in hot weather.

Like others said tyres begin to degrade as soon as you fit them and should really be replaced after a few years for the safety of yourself and others around you.

99.99% of people that tow any form of trailers such as boat,horse,box etc will not wear the tread out before they need replacing due to lack of use.

Hi guys - just to keep everyone safe here is the industry standard for a LTR tyres maximum load at maximum tyre pressure in a single tyre fitment for a trailer

popular trailer size fitments listed here

155R13 (90/88R) 595KG at 65 PSI

165R13 (94/92P) 670KG at 65 PSI

175R13 (94/92P) 670KG at 54 PSI

185R14 (102/100R) 850KG at 65PSI

Do not exceed these maximum inflation pressures

Whilst tyre manufacturers compound rubber using stabilisers and anti oxidants the biggest problem with trailer tyres is that they spend most of their life sitting in one spot with all the weight applied to one section of sidewall which causes premature rubber / interior cord cracking (ozone does also attack rubber)

as per previous comments

1) keep your tyres properly inflated to carry full load - do not underinflate - it is the air pressure that carries the weight - a tyre is basically a semi flexible container to hold air -

2) regularly check sidewalls and tread for any cuts , damage or bulges

3) I personally would not like to have tyres older than 5 years fitted to my boat trailer - whilst tyres are a chemically inert vulcanised product they do not last forever

4) buy a reputable name brand - there are plenty of good tyres sold in Australia but also a number of tyres that are made to cheapest price possible

regards and be safe

Edited by Suttons Curse

What tyre inflation pressure do Raiders suggest for various loads etc?

I have a 5m Quintrex tinny, single axle. Normal weight is probably 1-1.2 tonne trailer and boat. Loaded with camping gear add .3+ tonne. Tyres max inflation around 60 PSI.

Really interested in what the recommendations are of appropriate pressures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Tastee

I will assume that you have 185R14 LTR tyres on your single axle trailer with an all up loaded weight of 1.5 Tonne (750KG per tyre)

60 PSI cold inflation is the about the correct pressure for this load

(and remember it is not unusual for tyre pressure gauges at service stations to have a level of inaccuracy due to misuse)

Edited by Suttons Curse

My previous boat was a single axle trailer with a 5.3 Bowrider on it.

After about 10 years the tyres were visually fine. We had them inflated to about 60lbs. In the way up the coast we were pulled over by a policeman on a bike. He told us the inside of one tyre had a bubble. We went to the nearest tyre shop and replaced it, thankful he observed it and warned us.

On the way home a week later the other tyre blew out 1/2 an hour from home on the m7 destroying the plastic Gaurd as well.

In future I will be replacing them earlier despite the tyres appearing fine. My take on it is they were beyond there service life and probably near their max load so the safety margin was used up. Ironic they both failed within a week.

Funny enough on the first one I suggested replacing both and the tyre shop looked at the other one and said its fine.

Another thing to be aware of is the salt build up under the bead. These tyres had been removed and cleaned a few years before that.

Edited by welst

Hi Guys - without wishing to bore you too much with technical data I have listed the load carrying capacity for a 185R14 © LTR tyre at different pressures - single tyre fitment as used on boat trailers

1) 450 KPA - 65 PSI = 850KG

2) 400 KPA - 58 PSI = 770KG

3) 350 KPA -51 PSI = 695KG

4) 300KPA -44PSI = 615KG

you can use the same approximate scaling for the smaller 13" tyres listed above

When calculating gross load remember to include the tare weight of trailer plus boat , motor , fuel , batteries plus all the tackle and assorted junk we tend to carry in our boats

I trust that this is useful -

Edited by Suttons Curse

Hi Dave

Assuming that you have a dual axle trailer (with suspension correctly set up for equal load distribution) with 185R14 6ply © Light Truck tyres that is correct - 44 PSI cold inflation pressure - (Tyre pressure increases with heat from driving)

Remember to factor in fuel load , equipment , assorted gear we throw in the boat and those couple of 200KG marlin after a successful trip

Cheers

Great, thank you :)

So for example.

Boat and trailer is 2.2T... so am I looking at 550Kg per tyre, so does that mean 44PSI is ok?

I have always run my trailer tyres at 50psi.

If doing high speed road use and seeing your rig is 2.2T. I would recommend having the best tyres (not old) and good pressure. Just below the manufactures max pressure.

Also the average weight per tyre will increase and decrease depending the camber of the road etc etc.

Often I get a second opinion from my local tyre shop.