Port Hacking - early morning session

Yowie

Pumped some nippers yesterday, so I could head out early this morning.

Drifted the sand flats in Gunnamatta Bay from first light on the horizon with the nippers, and picked up the fish by about half light. A few just under whiting amongst them.

The breeze dropped and the drift slowed to almost nothing, and the bites stopped, so I headed home and was back at the boat shed just after sunrise.

post-13153-0-31312500-1456095211_thumb.jpg

Hi Yowie

Do you airate the nippers for over night keeping? My guess yes

Also a bit of sand in the keeper box? Or no sand? I haven't in past.

General rule I follow is cool place and fresh water!

JD

I don't aerate the nippers, but I keep them in a flat tray. I use the lid of a large plastic box, about 80 x 50 cm, and it has an indent about 1.5cm deep. (any similar large plastic tray will do, with 1 to 1.5cm of water.)

Fill the tray or lid with clean salt water and add the nippers. The nippers crawl around on the tray and can poke their heads out of the water if they want to. Keep in a cool place and the nippers should survive a couple of days, though I only keep mine overnight.

If kept more than 1 day, add some new water and remove any dead nippers.

You can add some sand, but I don't do it.

Nippers kept for some time in a bucket with 5 or 10 cm of water tend to die faster than those in a flat tray.

Edited by yowie

Flat shallow trays makes scence

Cheers for you reply yowie

I worked at the bait and tackle at Tom Uglys Bridge for a few years a lonnnnnng while back and Blood worm trays were shallow, water changed at least twice a day, and in air conditioned room.

Never mastered nippers there in my time. Probably was illegal to catch and resell.

All good

JD

Aka Dave

Flat shallow trays makes scence

Cheers for you reply yowie

I worked at the bait and tackle at Tom Uglys Bridge for a few years a lonnnnnng while back and Blood worm trays were shallow, water changed at least twice a day, and in air conditioned room.

Never mastered nippers there in my time. Probably was illegal to catch and resell.

All good

JD

Aka Dave

Well Dave.

I have been buying some bait (pillies and the occasional bloodworms) from the Tom Uglys Bait Shop for many years, so I may have purchased some from you over the time.

Dave.

well done on a good feed again

Thank you, it was a couple of feeds.

Top job yowie! A great feed and off the water by sunrise! The time when the rest of us are getting on the water.

It means an early rise to find the fish, but then again I was heading home and watching many boats heading out.