Squid spikes

Fab1

With everyone using jigs these days to catch squid I was just wondering if anyone still uses the old fashioned squid spike with a Pilly skewered on?And are they effective at night perhaps with some lumo beads attached?

Cheers.

I do when snapper fishing...get a lot take the floaters or follow to the boat so try to leave a bait out when the drift allows.

I was thinking off suspending one under a float while fishing.

I have a couple sitting in my tackle box that I have been meaning to use. If I get them out int the next couple of days, I will let you know how I do.

Please do.

i use pillies as spikes sometimes when im desperate but once i catch a yakka its spiked straight away lols

Im hearing yakkas are the go,I used a spike with a Pilly a few years ago at Windang suspended under a float with reasonable success.Mind you I've only targeted squid a handful of times.

I could never get those things to work, or work properly. The spike would kill the Yakka straight away, so no live bait. Then when casting it out it's very heavy for the light rods you like to use for squid. When retrieving, the bait would spin and flop around and look totally unnatural. Drifting would be ok but the bait still just hangs there unappealingly. I use normal jigs.

I'm going to try them next time but will purchase 6 or so green king prawns & skewer them . I think a prawn will be more attractive & they are a lot firmer than a pillie so harder for the squid to get off & more chance of being caught on the spikes

As for yakka , I have found that if I have a livie out hoping for that big fish the squid attack it eating into the back of the neck .

The livie does not last very long and the chances of hooking the squid is remote so I have taken one of the skewer "jigs" cut the shaft down attached a hook to a leader then attached the spikes to the leader close as possible above the hook with cable ties so if a squid attacks the livie before a fish my chances of a hook up should be improved.

Hopefully the livie will not go to waste & I have two options , fish or squid

Sounds good in theory , have yet to give it a field test

Geoff

Lots of guys in the illawarra hit the main squid spots with spiked fresh yakka. They always produce a few nice squid amongst them. They just throw them out and slowly retrieve. Theyre always singing their praises because they are dirt cheap

They're not designed to keep the bait alive, and use salted pillies as standard obesity won't last long. And make sure the bait is on the right way, theres always that one guy using it with the bait upside down haha

I tend to get the biggest squid using spikes. When drifting and flicking jigs around i usually have a rod in the rod holder with a squid spike loaded up with a fresh yellow tail (head first, squid like to hit the back of the neck and having that area near the spikes helps).

Add a small bean sinker straight on top of the line above the spike, drop them over the side and freespool till the spike hits the bottom, then lift it up about a meter or a bit more and drift away. When the rod is bending rythmically you haul in the squid, easy as!

Also, off the stones, use the same procedure but add a float (and adjust to suitable depth -> the spike about a meter off the bottom) and your in business.