Have you tried?

Fab1

I was thinking,as boaters how many of us have tried to use the mandatory oars/paddles carried on our vessels before they are needed in a real life scenario?I have tried using the paddles on my tinny with my son and I can tell you it is hard,slow going.If there's a strong current forget about it.If your far from the ramp you'll age a year before you arrive.

What about changing plugs from within the boat?removing/installing prop?Pull starting your engine?etc.

I have tried all those things on the water in the event that I'll need to perform them some time and there not easy things to accomplish from within the boat and this was in a relatively calm estuary.

My boat is very easy to start either with the key or the pull start if something happens such as a flat battery etc,but is only a 30hp.

I know that you can paddle to the nearest beach and work on your engine from there etc,but what if your a long way from the nearest beach,sandbank,land etc.

It will be interesting to here how many of you have given these things some thought and tried.

Cheers.

That's why I have an electric motor for peace of mind and great fishing options

I'd hate to rely on an electric when xxxx hits the fan but it certainly is better than nothing.

Yes tried the lot, forget about paddling with oars or paddles if there is a current. Changed plugs and pulled started motors, looked at and disconnected batteries.

I agree about the current.

Paddles are great for fending off but unless you in a canoe they are next near useless in any sort of current. Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Paddles are there so that you can tie on a shirt and wave for help.

Grandad

I thought they were there so the guys running tiller steers could use one as a makeshift tiller when theirs broke.

Good old Marine Rescue is great in any situation where we need a hand. Put the local MR phone number in your Contact list, know what channel to tune to on VHF/27MHz radio. Consider joining the MR Radio Club in your local area so that your details are on SeaHawk, Log on when you are on the water. None of this will prevent an accident on the water, but any/all could save your life.

I have the marine rescue app on my ipad, a paddle, a 27 mhz radio, a vhf radio, a mobile, a vsheet and an epirb on my bigger boat

plus a bracket for a second engine. I can't see that I'll b able to paddle it. When I had my less reliable engine on,

i used the little yamaha on that and it was interesting sitting on the transom steering back to the boat ramp.

A tip is to raise your outboard when you want to paddle

Also have a little boat has a pull start 30hp yamaha, and we used the paddles a couple of weeks ago when the engine stopped

and woundn't go again. Little boat stays in brisbane waters so after a while, I'll end up on the shore

Edited by antonywardle

I have done most of these, even on still water they can be very challenging.

Rowing, pain in the bum.

Changing plugs, what if water gets in?

Pull start, could I use the cord from my tracks dacks?

I lost the prop once, sheared off. I had a coke can and some wire. Maybe I could...

Idiot, call for help.

Have rowed my tinny (13 footer) from Lilli Pilli to Gunnamatta Bay a couple of times over the years, when the bloody motor would not start at all. Takes about an hour, and the last time was a killer (not as young as I used to be) As for the current, not much you can do but have a short rest, then start up again.

Helps that I used to row the main channel of Lake Illawarra in an 8 foot boat as a kid when on holidays down that way. The Christmas high tides in the channel were very strong, almost going backwards at times.

I can change the shear pin on the prop, but have also had the bearing on the prop pack it in and there is very little forward power for a lot of engine power (and may be overheat the engine) so rowing is the only way home.

Edited by yowie

If my motor died, I wouldn't even be able to pull the cowling off in the water. So no chance of trying to work on it!

Paddles and oars won't really be able to assist! I would just have to drop anchor and wait for help.

Is a vessel over 6m with single propulsion required to carry a paddle?

yes you are required to have a second method of propulsion, , but dont expect me to actually use it LOL one person with two paddles in a six meter trophy just aint gunna work !!

snr

If my motor died, I wouldn't even be able to pull the cowling off in the water. So no chance of trying to work on it!

Paddles and oars won't really be able to assist! I would just have to drop anchor and wait for help.

yep i,m with you there!!

snr

All require massive effort, that is why they are a last resort option.

I've had to paddle a mates boat that the motor broke 50m from the ramp and he never put the bungs in. Night from hell!

Last year took the wife out to the fad wanting to get her a mahi. First drift turned off the motor and we hook up to a nice fish. Went to start it again to take it away from the fad and no start. She dropped the fish and I couldn't start the boat. Two boats out there and neither seen us waving for help. I'm not a mechanics bumhole but I remembered seeing the pull start under the cowling, so with a last ditch effort before ringing marine rescue, I undid the cover, plastic protective cover all in a rolling swell and gave it a pull and it started. Much to the relief of my panicked wife. We headed straight for home. Ended up being a dry starter motor.

This thread is a great reminder to have as many options available to you to get you out of trouble as well as all the safety gear you need.

You never know when your going to need it!

Cheers scratchie!!!

yes you are required to have a second method of propulsion, , but dont expect me to actually use it LOL one person with two paddles in a six meter trophy just aint gunna work !!

snr

Ok no worries. I was talking with a water policeman the other day at port Kembla. It Cleary States vessels less than 6m must carry a paddle or second means of propulsion but nothing really for vessels over 6m (that I could find). He took my number and said he would call me back with clarification.. Haven't heard anything guess I'll just go get a paddle [emoji106]

• 4 weeks later...

I've been travelling along at high speed through the heads only to have the boat die in the water without warning (dicky battery isolator switch). Complete power loss...no ignition, no radio, no accessories. Switched to the other battery and all ok but did require a change of underwear. A very timely reminder when underway to STAY WELL AWAY from shorelines, cliffs and rocky outcrops etc.

You never know when a total power loss will happen. I now consciously think about plan B if the same thing happens again. Do I have the right anchor? Is there enough anchor rope? Which way is the tide running? How big is the swell? Is the marine radio on the right channel? What's the drill if I have to bail out?

As the saying goes "If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail...."

Cheers

Pete