Botany Bays most expensive king release

Xsite

Hi

Launch boat at 8 am this morning, caught some yellow tails but could not go outside due to swell so stay in close, caught two rays and then move to bare island for squid and got 5 small one.

We then went back to wall without success and decided to drift from drum to middle of bay before go home,

Got one king 66cm near the drum so drift again and caught another one 70 cm,

Third drift and another king was on and when it got to surface, look either on size or slightly under so I decided not to use net for better release, as I went to catch its tail, it made a final massive run which the line burnt my finger and it let go of the rod, rod and reel went straight over, my best king set up, a penn 650 live liner, spool with 300 m of 30ld exeed orange braid and cant remember the rod. $350 set up gone. we drop the reef anchor and move around for 15 minutes but no luck

I hope some Raider can find these and make good use out of them or better return them to original owner.(wishful thinking, LOL)

Too upset to take any photo

Xsite

Agh raider therapy! Sorry for your loss xsite. I'm sure we've all donated some quality gear to the world beneath. Be it lures, tackle or rod and reel.

Whilst it really hurts on the return journey there are plenty of shops to get your mojo back! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Bad luck mate, in my experience it pays to drop the drag right off when landing so this doesn't happen. Good on you though for wanting to look after your catch, lost some gear but gained my respect ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bad luck mate, in my experience it pays to drop the drag right off when landing so this doesn't happen. Good on you though for wanting to look after your catch, lost some gear but gained my respect ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapata

Unfortunately, Mr king is not doing well towing a rod and reel, I did release drag but not enough that why the line burnt my finger (let go of the rod was reaction without my control). I felt more sorry for the king than my rod, I don't like catch and release as it hurt and may kill the catch, I only target one that me or family will eat or for bait. I have always tried to be gentle with sharks, rays ECT

I hope king will survive

Thanks for your comment

• 4 weeks later...

Hi , I am very sorry for your loss of gear, but with respect to Adsy91, when near the boat with a kingy do not loosen the drag, keep your fingers away from the line (assuming you were using braid) and use the net. They are tough when they see the boat and thats when you have to fight hard. I'm sure that he or she has freed itself from your rod and reel by now, if that's any reassurance!