2/4/16 - cronulla

Stu-SP

Hi raiders, long report but a top day out!

I went out sat morning with the aim of getting some squid and targeting some bigger kings! Picked my mate up from sylvania just before 6am and we launched at Dolans bay and were flicking for squid by 6:15am. I managed one medium size, my mate had no touches so I gave him my rod and said use this while I enter some co-ordinates in the gps. Bang he gets one straight away, then ten minutes later the drag is screaming, we both thought it was weed/reefed but then is starts pulsating! Up came an absolute horse! It's outstretched tentacles went 80cms, the hood was just over 30cms. With 3 on board we headed out to get some kings.

Decided to have a troll on the way out, rounded jibbon bombie and headed south and bang we are on, a little bonito. 5 mins later another bonito, turned around and we are on again! Found a good bit of ground about 500m -1km south of the bombie and decided to give it a drift when we pulled up we noticed the squid had turned white and died( I don't have a live bait tank, just a few buckets but we changed the water a few times so not sure...) rigged up some SP's and second cast with the soft plastic and I'm on to a little rat, went just under 60cm. Back in the drink it went. My mate had never caught a king on an SP, 5 mins later he is on!! Went 55cm and he is absolutely stoked! Quick photo and went back. The next 3 hrs was one of those days when the stars align. We had a hot session going, multiple double hookups and we boated 15-20 kings. But all rats and no legals!! Tried trolling a squid but we couldn't keep it near the bottom, don't own a downrigger yet. Still had it sitting out the back hoping for a bigger specimen cruising past and the rod buckles yes we are onto one, then nothing. Pull it up and just the head was missing. Decided to cut the hood into strips, sent it back out and 10mins later we boat another rat king and it spat the squid head out on the floor! Found the culprit. My mate took his plastic off the jig head and put a strip of squid on it and what napped next was a first I've seen. He hooked up to a nice little 42cm snapper, kept it for dinner. He fished this way and it seemed to be working, I was surprised. Hey if he's catching fish why not! I also had a first and caught an amber jack on a SP, went 40cms and back in the drink. We picked up a live yakka and sent that out, had a couple of moments when we thought we were on, but the yakka was just panicking a lot!! It didn't get hit for the 30-40mins it was down.

We decided to head wide to try some other spots for no luck. On the way back in we saw flying fish and dolphins. We decided to head over to kurnell to try our luck and only got another 4 bonito on the troll. Nothing on the SP's but we did see a 5 ft hammerhead just cruising along the surface, my mate got a little video. We pulled stumps about 2pm, it was an absolute cracking day on the water and one I'll remember for a while. No monster kings, but hopefully soon. That's the beauty of fishing, the unknown!!

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers Stupost-38525-0-45473600-1459765762_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stu-SP

Great report. I could tell in your post you enjoyed yourself immensely. Maybe a tip, if your chasing kings and you catch a bonnie, pin it through the upper lip and send it out live on a slow troll. The big kings love them! Also, bait on a jig head is a great technique I use all time especially with prawns. They float down a lot more naturally and if you hit the bottom, retrieve in long loops. You'll be surprised. Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Some really good reading amongst the fishing reports today, well done on your catch Stu sounded like a great day, hit me up if you ever need company always willing and keen to learn, cheers.........Stu

Thanks guys, I've heard some reports of some good size kings taken on the weekend not far from where I was. Hopefully persistence pays off.

Thanks for the tip scratchie!! I'll try it next time. I'll really focus on live baiting next time, squid and bonnies!

I'll keep you in mind stunami.

It was great on the table!