Scent for Plastics?

Ivo

Hey guys,

I normally fish with plastics such as Gulp or Squidgies which come with scent. However I was thinking of trying some other brands that don't come with scent. Should I make or buy something to put on these? Or is a good action enough?

P.S. - don't need any brands or anything, I have some ideas. Just was wondering about your personal experience and whether you find the scent to be beneficia on unscented plastics.

Cheers,

Ivo

I mainly target flatties and I am not sure it make that much difference. I have used Gulp, Squidgies and Zman in various shapes, sizes and colours, with and without sent. Mind you I am still to catch a big girl, so others here may have a better idea.

Most of my crew use Non scented lures such as atomic paddle tails for flathead. It's all in the action and keep it on the bottom. 2 1/2 inch have caught small ones and large ones with a good range of by catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience it's more the action of the plastic, so as long as it's coming into contact with the bottom I'm catching flatties.

I've used scents for a while now and am still not 100% convinced they make a difference but while it comes in the packet I'll keep using it.

Probably another advertising ploy to sell something to we hapless fishos. I agree with previous comments that movement and proximity (normally) do the trick. Maybe if the fish were timid, it may make a difference.

Probably another advertising ploy to sell something to we hapless fishos. I agree with previous comments that movement and proximity (normally) do the trick. Maybe if the fish were timid, it may make a difference.

+1. I don't use scents on lures but with any fishing, if nothing is working try something different!

I have the opposite view. Scent adds another dimension to the lure. Smell. I use it every time ,on both hard and soft body lures. Dead bait bait has no action but fish find it by smell. Why not use both on our lures! I find I catch a lot of my fish Just after adding scent. Either S factor or Sax scent. I like Sax Scent Crab.

I mainly use Sax Scent and use it on Z man ,Gulp, Berkley power bait, Atomic, Squidgie, Cranka crrabs, Viblicous, I often put it on the night before so I'm ready first cast. Have never had it affect the lure.

My Bil that lives on the south coast loves his lure fishing and told me he just melts down a jar of Vaso and adds a capful of Wilson fish attracting oil,gives it a stir to mix and lets it cool down to re-solidify.

He gave me a bit to try a while back and I did well on the flattys using squidgees with the scent at Windang on the runout on my cheap gear running straight mono.Im sure it will be even better with the braid and proper gear.

Cheers.

Edited by Fab1

• 2 months later...

Several questions please:

1. How are Sax Scent results comparing to X-factor for estuary fishing?

2. How often do you apply scent to lure?

3. Can be Vaseline melted on a gas stove or only in Microwave, and can be Microwave be used for traditional purposes after that (i.e. no smell in it)?

Savit, S factor and Sax Scent are very even in fish attracting ability for me. I like Sax scent for a number of reasons. I can choose a flavour to suit where I am fishing , what lure I am using , and what fish I am chasing. Eg crab, prawn, or bloodworm. It is a waxy base so it sticks to the lure well. S factor seems watery compared to Sax Scent. AND Sax Scent is made in Port Macquarie. Australian owned and produced. It's contence are not restricted by Quarintine laws !! S factor is imported. Sax Scent has better quality controle. S Factor had a batch of almost white scent instead of yellow one time, Contaminated!! There is an article in the local Port Macquarie news parer about Sax scent which i found interesting.

I am using it to add the dimention of smell to my lures, so I add it every dozen or so casts, if I miss a fish I imediatily put some on! It works very well for me. My wife won't fish without it and has her own tube up the front of the boat! The number, size and variety of fish I have caught in the Hastings River since moving up here late last year is a testiment to it's value. Have a look at the Sax Scent Face Book Page. S factor comes in a 35 gram tube. Sax scent in a 50 gram tube for around $16. Howard.

Thank you Howard. I hope to get Sax scent from my local tackle store. Bloodworm flavor seems to be most popular among scent addicts.

I used S Factor for a while with success. It is 'free' complement in many Squidgy SP bags so no additional investment is required. Yes it a bit watery - the benefit was that the consumption was quite low, disadvantage - it had to be applied more regularly and it did not stick well to HBs and Blades. I noticed differences in S factor batches color in the store and even checked the production date for that reason. Both light and dark S factor tubes worked for me.

Do you mind to share which Sax scents worked for which fish species from your observation?

Also, did you apply Sax scent to non- SP lures (e.g HB or metals) and what was the fishing result and how long the scent remained on non-SP lure comparing to SP lure?

Which flavour works for which fish ? Most fish eat Bloodworm, Prawn and Crab. How do I choose? I should give a long explanation about When the prawns are running and the crabs are crawling, But. I like the Crab. I catch fish with it. I sometimes grab the wrong tube and find I was using Bloodworm all morning, with no ill effects! I realy don't know which is best. It's more about how I feel when using it! I use it on ALL my lures. It sticks well to hard body lures and Blades. There is a guy using it on green weed flys with good results.

Howard.

Thank you Howard for further explanation. It's good to know that I can use the scents on flies as I had not much luck with them yet. I found yesterday an old interview with someone from Sax Scent :the remaining scents - Abalone and Wasabi (garlic and aniseed) are suggested for freshwater fishing.

Hi mate i use pro cure mullet if the going gets tough but generally just a confidence thing i think,like changing a lure if ones not working keeps you focused and awaiting a bite.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Some scents have a UV reflective value that is built in which I have tested on jigs & found it out fishes having no scent at all. Plastics with a high scent value such as gulps will get pecked at while sitting lifeless on the bottom while non scented plastics will need movement to entice a bite. Some plastics still have a strong petra chemical smell to them from manufacturing which I find fish terribly without scent being applied. For slow moving bottom dwelling fish that are in areas of low current where you have to present the plastic in the best way possible to get a bite I think it dose help. For pelagic species or areas that has a lot of water movement the action of the plastic is the key.

Cheers

I noticed several times on the forums - people are stating that is Gulp is more bait rather than plastic due to 100% biodegradable and made of 100% natural ingredients. That might also partially explain bites when sitting lifeless and a short product life.

I do not know much yet about UV attractants however I presume these products might be more efficient for depth / night fishing where normal colors are less differentiated .

It's a good idea to apply scent to 'hide' the strong chemical smell in SPs. Thank you, Towlersbay boy.

Will check my SP with UV squid torch in the evening for UV reflections.

I have found that scents have made a huge difference to my soft plastic fishing. I've been using S-factor, because I love the Z-man soft plastics that don't have any added scent. The combination of the two gives you a really hardy re-useable lure. Even when tailor are thick, the z-mans will survive a dozen fish or so. I know people who use Sax, and Procure. They have differing opinions, but most are around how easy it is to apply, and also the relative costs. In some of the areas that I fish, the before and after particularly with bream isn't even close, scent definitely makes the difference. I was being stubborn before, taking the view that it was lure fishing and was all about tricking the fish with movement etc. Well bullcrap to that, I'd rather catch 18 bream than 6 any day, and I think the difference is of that scale.

Matt

Thanks Matt. Do you mind to answer 2 more questions: How often do you apply S-factor to lure? Do you use it for HB and blades lures as well?

Just wondering if anyone used successfully scents with metals ( e.g halco twisty/streakers) on the beach?

S-factor comes in a 35ml tube. I think it is slightly more expensive than procure per ml, but I just find it more convenient to buy and like the size of the tube. Just apply a smear onto your fingers and rub it into the plastic. I haven't tried it with hard bodies or blades. I actually haven't been fishing much with hardbodies recently as I have been killing it with the z-man grubs and slim swimz. But I know that others use it on their hardbodies when fishing the boat hulls.

Matt

Thanks Matt. Do you mind to answer 2 more questions: How often do you apply S-factor to lure? Do you use it for HB and blades lures as well?

Just wondering if anyone used successfully scents with metals ( e.g halco twisty/streakers) on the beach?

Probably no use putting scent on metals when working them off the beach since you are working them really fast, doesnt really give a chance for the smell to disperse