Dogs Used As Shark Bait?

Faulks

Hey guys,

Was just reading this on another forum (not fishing related)

Is this true or a load of shit?

STRAY dogs are being skewered on hooks and dragged behind boats as live shark bait, The Sun can shockingly reveal.

The cruel practice takes place on French-controlled Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, where Prince William spent two holidays.

A six-month-old labrador pup was recently found ALIVE with a huge double hook through its snout - like the dog above - and another through a leg.

The pup was found in a coastal creek and is thought to have somehow freed itself from a fishing line.

But other dogs and kittens have been chomped up and swallowed by sharks.

The RSPCA plans to petition the French government, demanding an end to the hideous torture.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450117,00.html (the photo is pretty horrible.)

If it is true that is well and truely f*cked up, has anyone else heard of it hapenning?

Edited by Faulks

There are some truely sick people in this world so nothing would surprise me.

There is something about the photo that doesn't look quite right. You would expect there to be a lot more redness and swelling around teh top lip where the hooks come out. Not nice and neat like in the picture.

You be the judge

post-44-1128914504_thumb.jpg

Hiya guys; have access to all Pommie papers; the pic of the poor pooch with the double hook in its nostrils got heaps of press, not just The Current Bun (Sun). Don't know how legit. The follow up story however was a load of crap. This second yarn had a pic of a dog with what was about a 4/0 hook....in its paw! Yet The Sun trumpeted this as another case of dog-baiting. Methinks this pooch just trod on the hook. cheers Bombie

Whilst this looks like a stitch up!

Freshwater fisho's in years past used to use live frogs and live mice as bait for big cod. They would pinch the skin on the back of the mouse put the hook through and cast it out. The poor little rodent would try and swim arround until it was taken.

I have heard stories off and on over the years that people had done the same with cats and dogs.

It is just so cruel and wrong. I really hope we have progressed beyond that.

Using live nippers, live worms, live squid, and live fish is one thing......but cats and dogs I just don't know perhaps we should just use fillets of pooch, or frozen cat as bait.

Only kidding it is just too cruel

Cheers

Trev

I have just contacted Berkeley and they are putting out a new range of soft plastic for sharks

The power dawg a soft plastic shaped like a poodle with real doggy scent

but my favourite is of course

wait for it

The new Berkeley GULP PUSSY These lures are a real treat

sorry I had to do it

Cheers

Trev