Bolt on hydrofoils

Space Ace

I don't really know what they claim. I have them on my 15HP Yamaha and they work really well. I think it's still important to balance the boat by having weight forward if (like yours and mine) it's tiller steering.

There's been lot of discussions on this in many fora (forums??). The hydrofoil manufacturers claim great improvement in lift to get on a plane, the outboard manufacturers claim the anti-cavitation plate where you bolt on the foils was never designed to bear the extra load of the lift (neither was the shaft or the bushes on which the motor tilts) - they say if you fit foils eventually you will see cracks on the anti-cavitation plate or have early failure of the tilt mechanism.

I am sure a lot of this depends on how you handle your craft and as Neil says - correct balance helps the most.

If u do decide to proceed Don't buy the wing type , they can be dangerous in certine situations. Buy the SE sport 200

But as others have said , ensure the balance & trim setting is first correct

I always thought of them as a band aid solution to a underpowered or overloaded boat.

Proberbly better off shedding some weight from your boat or powering up if at all possible.

^^^

They might help as above,

If you have enough power a hydrofoil won't make anything better

If u do decide to proceed Don't buy the wing type , they can be dangerous in certine situations. Buy the SE sport 200

But as others have said , ensure the balance & trim setting is first correct

G'day Geoff. What conditions are wing types dangerous in? Please explain. I have them on my tinny and need to know if they're going to present me with some sort of problem. Cheers.