Catching Mullet for bait

GordoRetired

Decided that it was time to catch my own bait so have been trying all week to get some Mullet. That is tried for an hour or more 4 days this week.

I had seen some big Mullet cruising around close in under the Roseville Bridge so 1st session I used floating bread crust on a small longshank. Nothing. 2nd session started the same then changed to squished up bread that sank. Nothing. 3rd session, squished up bread on a small longshank around 18 inches down under a small float fished close to shore. Nothing. 4th session, squished up bread on a small longshank around 3 foot down under a small float fished 25 - 20 feet out from shore.... Finally Success. I now have 3 good size mullet in the freezer to use as bait on my next off shore trip.

Might even pop down again this afternoon if the rain stops to see if I can get a few more. :-)

Update: Went down again this afternoon, now have enough bait for my next trip out the heads :-)

Edited by GordoRetired

Could you please describe the exact rig you were using? I've been frustrated to no end trying to catch mullet

I was using a light rod with 6lb braid, snap swivel on the end of the line. 3 foot trace of 6lb mono to a small, size 6, log shank hook with a split shot around 6 inches up from the hook. Had a swivel on the end of the trace that went onto the snap swivel. Hung a small float, little red & white plastic thing that they give away with kids rods, off the snap swivel. Bait was white bread which I squished up around the hook being sure to leave the hook tip exposed. Before heading out I also turned a few slices into breadcrumbs using the wife's blender and threw handfuls of that out for berley. Make sure that the bread is fresh otherwise you can not make it doughy enough to stay on the hook. Late afternoon yesterday that set up caught 10 good size Mullet in around 1 1/2 hours with the bigger ones being quite fun to catch on the real light set up.

Good luck :-)

mate as kids when we went to Jervis Bay we would get a 2L bottle cut a hole in the side of it fill about a 1/4 of sand while the bottle is on the ground sideways put bread in the hole waited about 5-10 mins while the bottle is sub merged about 5m off the shore line and then retrieved the bottle with mullet inside happy days. yes this maybe an old way of doing things but it worked than it should work today. good luck

Thanks for this post GordoRetired.

I've seen those buggers jumping out of the water all the time and always wanted to snag a few for bait but never been able to get any interest from them at all!!

Will definitely give this a go next time I get a chance and hopefully have some success.

When I was like 15-16 the only thing I would get is mullet from the George's near Liverpool station.

I couldn't drive so I could walk down under the bridge.

I also didn't have money so I would use a hand line...

The rig would be...

A little piece of lead at the tag end of the line, 50 cm up would be a hook (not a long shank) then about a meter above would be a float.

I would use stale bread and bread crumbs with flour and water and knees it into a dough.

I found on over cast days, I would land 40 cm mullet quite often.

I haven't been to the same place in about 13 years so not sure if it's still there

When I was a kid, and that is a very long time ago, jagging was all the rage. Down at milperra it was nothing to see dozens of people having a go. Lost count of how many people I saw with hooks stuck in their legs, hands and face. I can recall going to the casualty ward with a mate who had one stuck in his eyebrow.

We have caught our share of mullet over the past few months but gee they are hard to get. Dough on a small long shank hook with a tiny float is the only way that works for us. The most frustrating part is you can watch a giant school swim past and none of them will look at your bait.

whiskey299, on 31 May 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

Hi Gordo,

Just wondering which side of the Roseville Bridge, Babbage Road or the Boat ramp side? I've also been frustrated trying to catch mullet so I will definitely give this a go. Thanks for the tips.

Babbage Rd side, in the small park. Good luck :-)

I should add that during the day I have not seen much, they seem to come on later in the day.

Edited by GordoRetired

There are a lot of mullet around the Chipping Norton lake area at the moment. When we go flicking out there they are jumping out everywhere around the boat. I have also noticed people using mullet traps full of bread near the Georges River boat ramp (Georges Hall).

Good Luck

-Good-In-Tension

I make my own mullet rigs using old bendable springs and bend the end down through the centre with an upturn at the bottom, then fill it with bread (not compact it must be loose in there and better broken up before hand. Attach it to a float and tie some stinger assist hooks to the top of the spring and you're on your way. Narara creek runs through the back of my house and I do this with a beer to clear my head occasionally in the afternoons

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Babbage Rd side, in the small park. Good luck :-)

I should add that during the day I have not seen much, they seem to come on later in the day.

Didn't have much luck on Saturday probably because the weather was wet and wild on the weekend.

Another problem I had was the the current kept dragging the float inwards and all the small bream were taking my bait.

Might try again this long weekend, Gordo when are you heading out there next maybe we can meet up?