New opening at The Entrance

Stapo

07244244fc3d7b9bccb8cefbe10bf60d.jpg

After the storms the other week a small opening was created to the sea. Thinking it would close in a matter of weeks it's got bigger and deeper. Resulting in better flow in the system.

Maybe bigger fish will come in now.

Well I heard from a very reliable source that a Jew was caught on a soft plastic over the weekend. Around the 70cm size.

Interesting. No location given. Well yes but I can't say.

Still catching a few blackfish. Things are looking good for the prawning season.

e1013f00bd34810adc06f0c676ea953f.jpg

Cheers Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report Stapo. Nice to see the blackies are back after the rain. Are they getting much at the mouth? Any winter flatties? I'm hoping to get out in the tinny this weekend for some blackies and flatties with my folks if the weather is good.

Thanks for the report Stapo. Nice to see the blackies are back after the rain. Are they getting much at the mouth? Any winter flatties? I'm hoping to get out in the tinny this weekend for some blackies and flatties with my folks if the weather is good.

Plenty of both mate. Not sure on down the front.

Good to see you getting amongst a few Steve! I hope for your sake that opening lets a few of the silver beasts in for you to play with!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Jeff. Some people are even talking about snapper. I'll believe it when I see it.

Great catch Steve ! How I miss the parenting session, but it won't be for another 4 months right?

I start prawning late September early October. Had some of my best catches around grand final long weekend and with no daylight saving you can be home by 8.30.

Hi,

The new opening has stuffed up the blackfishing at the run out to the sea, again...that part of the channel is now quickly becoming overwhelmed by sand.

The big swell from the north east a while back has depleted sand from the beach to the north and washed it down to the channel. It will be interesting to see how long the new outlet lasts. A big south swell and flood may see a new channel appear.

Once thing for sure, it's never boring at The Entrance!

KB

Will be up at The Entrance in about 2 weeks. The patrol is finished today with new windscreen. The caravan got clipped when I put it in the storage place so it is in getting a nuisance repair done.

When I lived there in 1948 they were going to blast the entrance to the sea and put in a break-wall and it was put off because there was a hospital at Nth Entrance (it is now gone) that had shell shock patients from the 2nd WW and it never happened.The sand will come back as I think it can't get past the reef that is opposite the entrance.

I can remember under the old wooden bridge it was 20ft deep in the the 50s, just in front of where you get the blackfish there a step in the channel and we got a lot of fish there in a clinker rowboat. Gee this makes me feel so old.

The blackfish tasted great and can't wait for the prawns imagine entree of prawns then blackfish and chips !!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...