How big is a boat before it becomes too hard to handle by yourself

mob0103

Wish I could help you wth this. All I know is if the wind is low I am fine by myself but if it is blowing I need my wife's help or I don't try because who wants to pay for unnecessary repair bills? We are in a berth rather than a trailer so it is not really a fair comparison.

Yes, I agree with all the other comments. It all depends upon conditions and experience. :sun:

Thats pretty much it. I used to handle a Flightcraft 5.45 SF by myself. No Problems

Mates of mine Nth of Coffs beach launch and retrieve 6m cats single handed

Edited by Crossfire63

I have the 449 baymaster and it's easily a one man job. 460 would be no issue as long as trailer in good condition and for first few runs you have a mate to watch if anything goes pear shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Stacer 539 with a drive on trailer and on a normal day at a normal to good ramp I have no problems solo even with 3 kids under 10yr.

Can be tricky when the wind is up and the ramp is busy but most people are happy to help if you having trouble and ask politely.

I find being set up correctly, ropes ready to go, trailer in good condition and in deep enough and a deep breath and it's usually all good.

P.s

It also comes down to your physical fitness and strength as well, I think if you had a injury or were on the small build size you would struggle with my boat.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Thanks again!

On a slightly different note. Has anyone seen the 460 Renegade with the Motor Well? Do you think its necessary and does it take up too much room. Just worried about water coming in when going over a bar and the like.

have a rope tied to the bow and another long rope tied to the rear corner of boat that the wind or current is coming from and you can pull boat in or around to suit...I launched and rtrvd 6.0 mtr solo all the time ...cheers rick

Plus one for what rick says - aluminium boats are nice and light but the wind across the boat ramp can be a pain if blowing hard. Doesnt happen very often but have a think about wind direction if its blowy and rope onto the appropriate rear corner if you are on your pat malone.

Cheers Blood Knot

I have 6.1 Trophy and only do solo from good ramps with a pontoon beside it wind can be a huge factor I launch by myselfe at green well point ,Coffs Harbour and south west rocks .a good ramp with pontoon will allow you to use either side depending on wind conditions [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailer set up, boat ramp with floating pontoon and weather conditions are key to handling a boat by yourself.

Make sure trailer rollers or bunks are in good condition, winch is easy to operate and easy to wind in and out.

Boat ramp choice is important if boating by yourself more so than with another person. Is it easy to launch and retreive from , what is the ramp like at low tide, is there a pontoon to tie up to whilst getting the car and trailer if buy yourself you dont want to beach the boat whilst parking or retreiving the trailer.

Weather conditions when single hand boating is important, not only when out fishing , remember to keep an eye on the weather but also when retreiving the boat at the ramp, wind blowing from the wrong direction (depends on ramp and location) can make loading the boat onto a trailer awkard if not impossible by yourself.

If you are having trouble at a boat ramp by yourself, be a man and ask for help, majority of people will give you a hand no worries as we have all needed a helping hand at some stage. If ever I see people in trouble at the ramp I always offer my help.

• 2 weeks later...