Wanting to sneak out the heads from Botany Bay in a small boat

Baysic

Hi Raiders,

I have been fishing botany bay in an old 79 dehavilland 4.9 m glass runabout. Having spent the last 6 months getting to know the bay and the boat, I am inclined to venture slightly further afield. With 25 litres on a 70 Hp outboard I have limited range.

What spots are worth trying if I stick my nose out the heads, which is something I would only be doing when the wind and weather are pretty benign.

Thoughts much appreciated

Yes definitely, in summer troll out of the heads and up/down the cliffs.

We've done quite well on Bonito, Tailor and Salmon doing that.

Also, straight off the north headland, in about 35-45m of water we always seem to catch Morwong.

A bit further north off little bay roughly, in 50m of water you can drift for flathead.

Those are all really accessible with 25L of fuel.

If you take a jerry can theres no reason you can't make a trip out to the peak in good weather too.

First time out from the bay ORanywhere else is quiet daunting and you get the feeling it's a completely different world that you are venturing into, and in a way it is.

trying to put fuel from a jerry can into a fuel can with the waves bumping and twisting the boat about can be dangerous, mu suggestion would be to get an extra fuel tank with the same fuel line connection as your main tank, even a small 5 ltr one for emergencys is better than a jerry can.

A jiggle hose is easier but take longer, just a 2nd way to do things IF you must have a jerry can.

Frank

I've run offshore in small boats for many years and feel quite confident in each of the boats I've been in. Maybe tag along with another member on here or if you are ever in Narooma I would gladly help you out. I've fished around Montague from a small quintrex 3.85 explorer and the shelf in a 3.85 Haines sea wasp. ( not saying you should do the same )

You must already have a pretty good idea on how much fuel your boat uses pottering around the bay. Have an alternative port to run to if need be and get a lift back to pick up the trailer.

Do you log on with marine rescue? If not maybe you should consider that too, there's even an app for it it now where you simply setup initially all your boat details then each time you leave you simply log on via a few clicks on the phone. The app even recognises where you leave from and can monitor your position every 30 mins from your phone if you chose it too.

Jon

my comment for extra fuel wasn't because you think you will need it for a longer session it was meant for safety purposes

i have a small boat (4.2m) and fish in bass strait and i carry 1 25lt and 1 12lt tank and a spare hose .

i had to tow a boat back one day years ago because he had a split hose .

Thanks for the comments guys, agreed a 12 litre spare tank and hose is sensible. I normally use 10 l and I am generally flat out to the oil wharf and back as well as some manouvering,

Bonito are definitely a target as are larger flathead. Snapper would be great too.

I have a vhf radio so would log in with marine rescue, not really necessary in the bay.

Would I need a longer anchor rode or do people just drift ? I have 70 foot

Depends how far from the heads you go out.

I go out the heads solo (Botany and South Head) on this.eb80ee1503e917aa20e221653f13b2d9.jpg

Its a 3.4m inflatable cat with a 9.8hp tohatsu. My mates thinks Im crazy but It is definitely possible and on a good day, can be quite exciting.

Just my 2 cents.

Rule # 1. Plan your trip. And I mean not only plan where you're going...plan for everything. Make a contigency plan. Plot evac and exit points, depending on wind and sea conditions, and emergencies. For example at botany: When I go out, my evac point is at malabar boat ramp on the north, and harbour beach at the south. I make sure I know where they are in my mind.

Rule #2: Go prepared. I always carry 2L BACKUP water, a marine radio, sea anchor, extra 5L fuel on a separate container(enough for about 8miles on my motor), first aid kit, 2 extra spark plugs, and everything needed on the handbook for offshore. I always tune my radio to the weather update forecast, and check weather on my phone every hour. If I happen to leave one of them at home, I don't go out.

rule #3. Pick your days. Swell, wind, & weather have to be good. It doesn't matter if the weather looks good when you get to the ramp... If the forecast says it's gonna get worse in the arvo, I don't go out. Always keep an eye on the weather changing.

Going out the heads on a small boat can be nerve racking at first. You will feel how tiny you are and immediately know mother nature's full capacity. Provided you respect her, you will have a great time.

Also, I think 25L on a 70hp is too small. What range does that give you? Maybe get another 25L?

Edited by guimaras

I wouldn't worry about extra anchor rope. I don't anchor over 15m - mostly because I dont want to haul an anchor in.

Get yourself a sea anchor, I recently got one and it makes a huge difference if you're getting blown away trying to fish.

Snapper might be a bit harder in a boat that size unless weather is awesome. I don't know of any snapper spots off Sydney. Only the humps and belambi which are both a bit of a haul from the nearest ramp.

Thanks for the comments guys, agreed a 12 litre spare tank and hose is sensible. I normally use 10 l and I am generally flat out to the oil wharf and back as well as some manouvering,

Bonito are definitely a target as are larger flathead. Snapper would be great too.

I have a vhf radio so would log in with marine rescue, not really necessary in the bay.

Would I need a longer anchor rode or do people just drift ? I have 70 foot

You might end up anchoring as anchoring and burleying and fishing floaters is very effective for snapper. In any event you will need at lot more anchor rope for safety reasons. If you motor breaks down you can at least stay put and not be at the mercy of the wind and current. You need around 3x the depth in anchor rope length to hold bottom (more if it's rough). So I would suggest at least 200m of rope if you are going any distance offshore.

PS: you will want an anchor chain about the same length as your boat and 2 types of anchors, ie a reef anchor and a sand anchor.

Good info... I am not looking to venture too far out, and would expect to stay within 2 nautical miles just hugging the coast, maybe get up to Malabar. Plan is to get a little bolder as time goes by but for now looking to stay close to the coast.

I will pick up a sea anchor... Any pointers ? Already have a decent pick and sand anchor with a few metres of chain.

Any other fishing insight around spots or techniques that are worth trying as close as possible to the heads ?

Help much appreciated all

Brilliant

Thanks for the tips

Yes definitely, in summer troll out of the heads and up/down the cliffs.

We've done quite well on Bonito, Tailor and Salmon doing that.

Also, straight off the north headland, in about 35-45m of water we always seem to catch Morwong.

A bit further north off little bay roughly, in 50m of water you can drift for flathead.

Those are all really accessible with 25L of fuel.

If you take a jerry can theres no reason you can't make a trip out to the peak in good weather too.