Vibes for Jews

Fishing_Maniac

hi Jamie,

I've got relatively limited experience here, have only been catching jewies since summer just gone, so ... don't lend too much weight to my comments.

Most of my jewies have come on 5" soft plastics. Paddle tail or jerk shad - I can't tell any difference in effectiveness. Bounced along the bottom, as if fishing for flathead.. Change the size and rhythm of the bounces, until something works, of course.

I've also tried a few brands of soft vibes. !st some Spanyds, which I only ever caught one flathead on. In retrospect, I think the rod I was using (my bream gear) was probably a bit light to work the lure effectively.

Next I bought a Jackall Trans Am, 100mm. I got two small snapper on that (still using a 7' bream stick), over two trips, before a passing tailor took it off the line - ouch, they cost.

More recently, I've been doing pretty well using a Samaki Thumper Tail, 100mm, in chartreuse/pink head, and now on a better suited rod.

I've also been told the UV ones work very well. UV Ginger and UV Motor Oil. I haven't taken any jews on those colours but can say; the Motor Oil (orange, I'd call it) in particular, on a 70mm Thumper, seems very effective on flathead and bream - bottom bounced for flathead, vertically jigged for bream.

My big thought on all this is cost and tendency to snag. Soft vibes are well up the scale from regular soft plastic on both counts, as well as on cost. They're heavy lures and the two sets of trebles catche just about everything they touch, weed, rocks, sticks, old nets, line, etc..... At $20 a snag, it's a definite downside and, I imagine, more of a problem if you're fishing from the shore.

I'd love to know, has anyone here tried snipping the bottom prong off both trebles? Does it significantly affect hook up rates? I've just started doing it - no conclusions yet.

Edited by HenryR

I swaped them for singles on the viblicous, missed the first 2 fish and haven't tried again. The hastings is very rockie and a lure a day lost is common :ranting2: But i can often get off the rock by driving over it and pulling away from the other side. Regards Howard.

Vibelicious in any size (depends what bicatch you do or dont want)

Drop it to the bottom, immediately begin a drawn out slow lift (enough to JUST feel vibration) and repeat the process.

Just work em' like a blade and you'll be in with a good chance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I dunno about hook ups, or whether vibes are more effective than regular soft plastics, I've yet to notice much difference. Most times, when I find jewies, they come within the first dozen or so casts of arriving at a spot or they turn up when the tide comes good - those factors seem to matter much more.

Where I have noticed much better hook up rates on soft vibes vs soft placs, is for flathead. Two sets of little trebles gets them almost every time ...

One really clear difference between soft vibes and soft plastics is; soft vibes are much easier to use. They're generally heavier and more compact so they cast further, into wind, or whatever, with little effort. For the same reasons, you don't have to wait as long for them to sink and you can tell, with ease, when they hit the bottom even at depth and in current. And, when you work them, because they 'vibe' you get constant reassurance that they're doing something. With something like a a 5' jerkshad on a 3/8 head, it's much easier to get a insecure and worry you should change tactics.

You should probably get a few of both and see what works for you where. If the cost of that is off putting, stay away from soft vibes unless you're fishing over sand!!! Different circumstances will suit one or the other. For example: I wouldn't bother bouncing treble laden vibes down snaggy rock walls along the shore line. On deeper water drop offs, with a sand bottom, I'd opt for vibes pretty much any day.

In 5m, landbased - what sort of bottom are you fishing over? - mid sized soft plastics rigged weedless, on worm hooks, is well worth considering.

I dunno about hook ups, or whether vibes are more effective than regular soft plastics, I've yet to notice much difference. Most times, when I find jewies, they come within the first dozen or so casts of arriving at a spot or they turn up when the tide comes good - those factors seem to matter much more.

Where I have noticed much better hook up rates on soft vibes vs soft placs, is for flathead. Two sets of little trebles gets them almost every time ...

One really clear difference between soft vibes and soft plastics is; soft vibes are much easier to use. They're generally heavier and more compact so they cast further, into wind, or whatever, with little effort. For the same reasons, you don't have to wait as long for them to sink and you can tell, with ease, when they hit the bottom even at depth and in current. And, when you work them, because they 'vibe' you get constant reassurance that they're doing something. With something like a a 5' jerkshad on a 3/8 head, it's much easier to get a insecure and worry you should change tactics.

You should probably get a few of both and see what works for you where. If the cost of that is off putting, stay away from soft vibes unless you're fishing over sand!!! Different circumstances will suit one or the other. For example: I wouldn't bother bouncing treble laden vibes down snaggy rock walls along the shore line. On deeper water drop offs, with a sand bottom, I'd opt for vibes pretty much any day.

In 5m, landbased - what sort of bottom are you fishing over? - mid sized soft plastics rigged weedless, on worm hooks, is well worth considering.

Thanks for the info mate. I'll be fishing on a marina which I was given permission to fish off- so definitely a sandy bottom. I have a feeling that it could hold jews considering there is plenty of bait there.

I'm also keen to give the squidgy fish in 100mm a go, heard many good things about them.

In deeper water depending on what part of the tide I'll fish a 3/8th or a 1/2 ounce. I've been having success in shallower water using as light as 1/6th and 1/8th. I vary between a slow lift and let it sink back, to a double hop to try work out what part of the water column they are feeding in. 99% of the time they smack the plastic on the drop I find

• 1 month later...