Sunrise Kingfish

Krispy !

Hey raiders,

Havent posted a report in a while as i've been busy with uni exams but the itch finally got to me and I couldn't wait another day so headed out early this morning at 5 to clear the mind and hopefully get a kingfish as a bonus. Didn't bring any bait with me so was relying on the squid coming on the bite.

It was a bit slower than id hoped but managed 4 in an hour which was enough to get me started for the morning:P. 6am prepared the first little lollipop squid pinned with a 1/0 owner in the tip of the hood and 14lb leader and slowly lobbed it out, opened the bail and set it down:1fishing1:.

14936878_1264261380291432_1120010067_n.jpg

I didn't even have a chance to turn around as I saw a decent fish smack the water near where I casted my squid. simultaneously my line tightened up and began peeling off my spool:thumbup:, gave it another 10 seconds before I picked up the rod and closed the bail and set the hook. the fish took a screaming run out and deep at the start before I started gaining line on it. It was slugging it out down deep before it began arcing towards the pylons under me and that's when I realised I was in trouble, I opened the bail into free spool for about 20 seconds and then loaded up the rod again to see the fish had swum out as I had hoped. This time I kept proper control as the fish took yet another but this time it was tired and didn't have the stamina, began putting on the hurt and it surfaced a few metres away, a nice sized kingfish. A fella that was fishing near me kindly netted it and brought it up. It went 74cm:icon_peace:, not a bad way to clear the cobwebs and the exam stress. Quickly dispatched it and into the esky, thinking that there was going to be more action for the morning but that proved to be the only hit, still no complaints, sashimi on the cards tonight :D

kingy.jpg

9 hours ago, seriola lalandi said:

Hey raiders,

Havent posted a report in a while as i've been busy with uni exams but the itch finally got to me and I couldn't wait another day so headed out early this morning at 5 to clear the mind and hopefully get a kingfish as a bonus. Didn't bring any bait with me so was relying on the squid coming on the bite.

It was a bit slower than id hoped but managed 4 in an hour which was enough to get me started for the morning:P. 6am prepared the first little lollipop squid pinned with a 1/0 owner in the tip of the hood and 14lb leader and slowly lobbed it out, opened the bail and set it down:1fishing1:.

I didn't even have a chance to turn around as I saw a decent fish smack the water near where I casted my squid. simultaneously my line tightened up and began peeling off my spool:thumbup:, gave it another 10 seconds before I picked up the rod and closed the bail and set the hook. the fish took a screaming run out and deep at the start before I started gaining line on it. It was slugging it out down deep before it began arcing towards the pylons under me and that's when I realised I was in trouble, I opened the bail into free spool for about 20 seconds and then loaded up the rod again to see the fish had swum out as I had hoped. This time I kept proper control as the fish took yet another but this time it was tired and didn't have the stamina, began putting on the hurt and it surfaced a few metres away, a nice sized kingfish. A fella that was fishing near me kindly netted it and brought it up. It went 74cm:icon_peace:, not a bad way to clear the cobwebs and the exam stress. Quickly dispatched it and into the esky, thinking that there was going to be more action for the morning but that proved to be the only hit, still no complaints, sashimi on the cards tonight :D

kingy.jpg

9 hours ago, beejay said:

nice early season king mate

Thanks mate

8 hours ago, Rah said:

Well done. Shame there was no more there that wanted to play.

Cheers

Tara

Thanks Tara, wouldve been nice if a few more wanted to join in

8 hours ago, justonemorecast said:

Beautiful fish there mate. Btw I think I'd eat that squid (".)

Thanka mate, squid is awesome eating but i love turning it into a nice kingy

8 hours ago, will_l said:

Nice fish mate, did you put the squid down with a sinker or let it float down?
Cheers

Unweighted mate

4 hours ago, Ozcar said:

Nice catch Krispy?

Sydney Harbour?

Thanks

Thanks Ozcar yes sydney harbour

1 hour ago, 4myson said:

Nicely Done Mate ! Squid for entree & Kingy for main :D

Thanks mate, thats a great menu

45 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:

Great start to the day :-)

Thanks mate it sure was

Well done on the result. Hope you do as well with your exams at Uni! Thank you for the concise description (including photos) of the events as they played out. Having never caught a nice Kingfish, I felt that I was there with you. Top job! Big Neil.

Nice work mate. No idea how you land them on that gear. Whenever I hook a 70cm+ king land-based on my 30lb gear it seems to dive straight down and reef me within seconds. Only seem to land them on my game gear. 

An another note, how do you cook them? Great sashimi but I find them dry and not much flavour when cooked. 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:06 AM, IratusEst said:

Great catch mate!

There had been some great reports on Spring King lately. It's a shame that you didn't get multiple hit. There's always a next time.

Thanks mate! yes hopefully there are more around next time

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:43 AM, big Neil said:

Well done on the result. Hope you do as well with your exams at Uni! Thank you for the concise description (including photos) of the events as they played out. Having never caught a nice Kingfish, I felt that I was there with you. Top job! Big Neil.

Thanks Big Neil hopefully you get into some kingys this summer

23 hours ago, Werry said:

Nice work mate. No idea how you land them on that gear. Whenever I hook a 70cm+ king land-based on my 30lb gear it seems to dive straight down and reef me within seconds. Only seem to land them on my game gear. 

An another note, how do you cook them? Great sashimi but I find them dry and not much flavour when cooked. 

Landing them on that gear is all about getting the right balance of tiring them out and giving them a lot of stick, also gotta make sure all the knots are 110%

They're great sashimi, but in terms of cooking them, just steaks on the hot plate with lemon, salt and pepper is insanely good. just don't cook them for too long, just enough for the meat to turn white.

18 hours ago, Mike89 said:

That is a cracking fish there, well done!

Hope this season I can land one that size.

What was the rod?

Excellent catch!

Thanks Mike, the rod is a custom built one around 7ft and the reel is a Stella 4000FE

8 hours ago, mauricio said:

great catch... 14 lb leader, great effort. great start to the season 

Thanks mate :)

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:57 PM, Fishing_Maniac said:

Well done mate

Thanks mate!

13 hours ago, sam bros said:

The kingfish must be scared of you by now

You always seem to produce the goods

its a love hate relationship I have with the kings, sometimes they co-operate other times they leave me hanging

7 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

So what was the area location/water way/state??

Werry, the trick if to just cook it & not over cook it.

I also like sushimi but its really nice also done in a 4-6 hour cure.

North Sydney area mate

1 hour ago, Penguin said:

Nicely done there on the Kingy candys and King.

Cheers

Thanks penguin

7 hours ago, seriola lalandi said:

Thanks mate!

its a love hate relationship I have with the kings, sometimes they co-operate other times they leave me hanging

North Sydney area mate

Thanks penguin

Whenever I go with him they leave us hanging :angry2:

Guest 4myhubby
On 02/11/2016 at 1:47 PM, seriola lalandi said:

Hey raiders,

kingy.jpg

Nice catch,well done

On 03/11/2016 at 6:59 PM, Werry said:

Just adding to what others have said Werry...

In the past three weeks, I have a few times landed kings around 67-70cm accidentally on the rocks when I was targeting trevally and bream.

I was using a 7" Gold Stick (old school made from the US handed down to me this year). Fiberglass tip I think. I had 10lbs braid  main line and 10lbs leader combined with a size 6 hook and small strips of sand whiting fillets.

I assure you it was an amazing fights and feeling that left my hands shaking every time. As you come across to your experience, it could be a quick KO or it could take forever.

As I have learned from others is that once they fight dirty and headed for the reef. I just have to let it run and consumed more lines. With all the excitement and adrenaline pumping. I know that we all need a bit of luck sometimes.

Shasimi is best the day after you leave it in the fridge. It taste better when it's a bit cold.

You can use the rest for spicy ? radish, enoki mushroom and add any other vegetables to your taste.

9 hours ago, IratusEst said:

Just adding to what others have said Werry...

In the past three weeks, I have a few times landed kings around 67-70cm accidentally on the rocks when I was targeting trevally and bream.

I was using a 7" Gold Stick (old school made from the US handed down to me this year). Fiberglass tip I think. I had 10lbs braid  main line and 10lbs leader combined with a size 6 hook and small strips of sand whiting fillets.

I assure you it was an amazing fights and feeling that left my hands shaking every time. As you come across to your experience, it could be a quick KO or it could take forever.

As I have learned from others is that once they fight dirty and headed for the reef. I just have to let it run and consumed more lines. With all the excitement and adrenaline pumping. I know that we all need a bit of luck sometimes.

Shasimi is best the day after you leave it in the fridge. It taste better when it's a bit cold.

You can use the rest for spicy ? radish, enoki mushroom and add any other vegetables to your taste.

Thanks for the info IratusEst and Krispy! I think maybe I have just been unlucky. I usually run 2-3kg of drag on my medium rock combo and I have landed plenty of rats, but the few times I have hooked very big fish (assumed kings) they have taken tons of line and reefed me within seconds. Sounds like next time this is happening I should open the bail arm? 

Recipe tips sound great, can't wait to try!