PB luderick

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Fish were angry this morning. Managed to keep 2 - all caught on the cabbage. Started out 10lbs and kept getting busted off. Stepped it up to 15 then 20lbs and still couldn't stop them.

PB went 43cm :D

IMG_0854.JPG

Sounds like your getting pigged or you are doing something major wrong.

The flip flopping Luderick is best left to tire them selves out before landing as they don't fight dirty.

Pigs (Black Drummer) need to be man handled.

JD

Guest Guest123456789
5 hours ago, Johndory said:

The flip flopping Luderick is best left to tire them selves out before landing as they don't fight dirty.

JD

Indeed I was. 10lbs braid was snapping. I upped the leader but couldn't set the drag tight enough to keep the fish off the reef.

i will be consulting my mentor for guidance here. He's fished the ledge for 40 years so I'm confident he can help me stop them next time. Need to make some gear and possible technique changes.

Guest Guest123456789
15 hours ago, hawkesbass said:

Nothing wrong with that new pb.

Any luderick above 40 cms is a great fish.

Thanks mate

11 hours ago, Rah said:

Well done on the new PB  :lol:

Cheers

Tara

Thanks Tara

10 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Good stuff mate, you know I love a good dig at the blackies!

Well done! I haven't broken the 40cm line yet!

Excellent stuff.

Thanks Mike. Do you venture out of the harbour and fish from the stones yet?

4 hours ago, blackfish angler said:

Well done 43cm in my books is a great fish .

Thanks mate

5 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Well done Luke on your PB. Great to find the fish raring to go, eh? Cheers, BN

Thanks BN

Guest Guest123456789
10 minutes ago, DaveBM said:

Is it just me, or is it actually 45cm?

Not really, 43 as it's been gilled and gutted and I go from the shortest part of the tail

10 hours ago, Johndory said:

JD

Spoke to my mentor. The main problem is stiff braid and floro. Not enough give in the line he reckons. One thing I'm doing is getting some mono. We're going for round 2 today, let's see if one of us can stop them assuming they're still hungry.

Guest Guest123456789
47 minutes ago, DaveBM said:

You sir, are a paragon of scrupulous honour.

Haha at times I think we all are. After making a few posts you will quickly realise the audience here are largely grumpy old men who will jump all over you with a volley of criticism if you give them a chance ;)

Guest Guest123456789
10 minutes ago, luderick59 said:

what rod are you using?

I'm using a 10'6 Sakana rated 4kgs. It's a graphite composite rod with the reel positioned lower towards the butt of the rod.

Ok rod, tip flexes a bit too much. Best thing about it is the guides, the runners are metal not that crappy grey plastic that cracks and fails.

7 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Indeed I was. 10lbs braid was snapping. I upped the leader but couldn't set the drag tight enough to keep the fish off the reef.

i will be consulting my mentor for guidance here. He's fished the ledge for 40 years so I'm confident he can help me stop them next time. Need to make some gear and possible technique changes.

20 lb mono for pigs straight through to running ball sinker to hook

never braid

for blackies no10 float line main and max 2.7 kg trace

if they are finicky I drop to 2kg fluoro on the trace. Will land 99.9% of fish. Use your flex in rid to tire them out until ready to wash out. If you hook a good pig on blackie gear lots of fun unless you lose a good float.

hope this helps

1 hour ago, DaveBM said:

You sir, are a paragon of scrupulous honour.

I agree! Speaking for myself it's always total length rounded up to the nearest centimetre!

@flatheadluke I've been out on the stones for blackies a couple of times. Managed a few hook-ups but the 7ft rod I used to use wasn't great at bringing the fish in. I was also using braid there as well.

Since upgrading my blackie gear I've been using a 10ft graphite rod that is quite brittle and as such I'm a bit scared to take it out on the stones. I'm thinking of picking up one of those 10ft telescopic rods made by Alvey to take out onto the ocean rocks.

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, cossie said:

20 lb mono for pigs straight through to running ball sinker to hook

never braid

for blackies no10 float line main and max 2.7 kg trace

if they are finicky I drop to 2kg fluoro on the trace. Will land 99.9% of fish. Use your flex in rid to tire them out until ready to wash out. If you hook a good pig on blackie gear lots of fun unless you lose a good float.

hope this helps

Interesting, very different to the setup old mate and I use. To each their own, as long as it works for you right.

• 4 weeks later...

Have gone 50cm, many moons ago, weighed close to 4 and a half pounds, 15 minutes to land. Could not pick it up in one hand. Not braggin', but was fishing 2 foot deep!, on a protected south facing ledge adjoining a beach in a black nor'easter with all the many schools of luderick that normally sit on the long flat east facing ledges deciding to congregate 'round the corner from the blow and raging sea (as they often do). Also caught a nice bream and a "poddy" mullet that day. Both thrown back. 17 blackfish landed (20 bag limit at the time). Guy fishing next to me got 16. 

Edited by dlo2
typo