Psychotic Trailer Lights - Help!

TheFoosh

The lights on my trailer are playing up.

Started a few weeks ago with the lights not working at all. Checked the inside of the 7-pin adapter and it was a bit corroded and lots of gunk in there so have changed that, now seats perfectly into the rear of my car. 

Lights worked fine.

Now they are back to playing up. Sometimes the left indicator gets stuck on which keeps the indicator light on my dashboard lit up. Then when I put my foot on the brake, the headlights come on in my car! I can't figure out what to do. Any advice?

Regards

Nick

How old is the trailer? It is not unusual for the lights to play up when they get to the 7 - 10 year mark. What happens is that corrosion sets in. It can travel along the wires so patch ups can be a waste of time and you will probably be better off replacing the whole lot. Or you can do what I did and get a light board. This is a lot cheaper/ less hassle if you don't mind getting into the habit of removing it for launching and putting it back on again after retrieval.

Edited by kingfishbig

Check all the earths for your trailer wiring as well. Without seeing the harness first hand my initial reaction is you have a bad earth somewhere. the first place to look would be the trailer at the plug. White is the universal colour for the earth on trailer wiring. And depending on what plug your using will depend on where it is to go. On my trailer it is pin 3 for a 7pin flat. Now depending on how your trailer is wired up, you can either have the earth return by a wire looping to each light to supply the earth, or by the earth going to the trailer frame. If it is to the trailer frame I suggest cleaning each earth at each light, then finding where the earth for the plug is and cleaning that too. The last one to check would be the car. Make sure you have an earth to the appropriate socket on the car socket assembly. I have found, from a past life as an auto-electrician in the RAAF servicing vehicles, that the earth return there can create issues. One vehicle I looked at didn't even have an earth wire fitted on the car side, the owner was relying on the return through the towball assembly.

Hope this helps, or as kingfishbig suggests, buy a new lightboard with harness, my brother just did that. BCF have either the olf fashion incandescent globe light boards or an LED version. And the come with a slection of plugs to suite.

Hope all this helps

Hi Nick,

Having done a fair bit of wiring (my dad was a sparkie) it sounds like you have more than one problem and are seeing the compounding effects. eg car lights coming on - sounds like something is feeding back to the car through the trailer or trailer wiring - some old trailers are wired to use the trailer as earth - a bad practice. 

So, as others have suggested you need to start isolating the problem - so start with your car plug and establish that it is wired correctly. Simplest may be to test your car with someone else's trailer that is known to be wired correctly or arm yourself with a 12v test light  (<$5 at any auto shop or bunnings) and have someone operate the vehicle brakes and switches while you test the car plug pins.

Use these diagrams ....

JTF-Wiring-Diagram.jpg

If all is ok with the car... then work your way through the trailer wiring...again using the same wiring diagrams.

Cheers

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962

..Only just saw the previous post - must have come through while I was posting mine. Its a very good detailed answer.

As mentioned here you need to isolate whether its a trailer or car issue.

Connect the trailer to another car if there is no issue then its your car - If the problem still exists then its the trailer.

It looks like either the trailer plug or the car socket is wired incorrectly although bad earths can cause similar issues.

If our are not comfortable with electrical wiring then you can buy a trailer wiring checker tool on the web for about $25 Bucks.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

I would assume the problem only occurs when the trailer is hooked up. It's not unusual for faulty trailer wiring to effect the car, though this tends to take the form of a fault code such as DSC and or ABS.

It is also not unusual for trailer lights to play up with age due to exposure to saltwater.

Sounds like you have a crossed wire either in the 7 pin plug or due to corrision in the wiring. It is a good idea to replace the entire wiring if when you replaced the  7 pin plug the copper wires to the trailer looked greenish colour.

Thanks for all the responses!

I did have another box trailer connected to the car, works fine. I will connect the boat trailer to the wifes car and see if it does the same.

It only makes the lights in my car play up when the trailer is connected so it isn't my car however I will check. Might be time to re-wire the trailer!

It goes without saying these days I guess, but replace with LEDS and you will have less trouble.

There are trailer lights on eBay that come with wires attached at verious lengths i.e. 5 or 7 metres long.  These give less trouble than the usual ones with a short wire attached as they eliminate joins in wire that usually end up under water risking corrosion issues.

Oops, forgot to mention.  You will see that connecting pins in coupling have a split in them.  Try spreading pins a little with a small screwdriver, as this will give a better connection and can solve if you have a contact issue between car and trailer.