Gasmate Travelmate Stove

blackfish angler

Guest Guest123456789

When I was courting my wife I took a burner like yours to queenscliff beach for bacon and eggs while the sun rose. They're great, so portable and put off heaps of heat.

i read somewhere another trick is to cook hot dog frankfurts and put them in a thermos (like the ones for coffee). Them you can serve hot dogs. Haven't tried it yet might give it a go in winter

23 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

When I was courting my wife I took a burner like yours to queenscliff beach for bacon and eggs while the sun rose. They're great, so portable and put off heaps of heat.

i read somewhere another trick is to cook hot dog frankfurts and put them in a thermos (like the ones for coffee). Them you can serve hot dogs. Haven't tried it yet might give it a go in winter

Will have to try that mate sounds the go

1 hour ago, Johndory said:

Hey

a little while ago I read a article about a heap of these style burners and it wasn't good

hope yours is OK

Turned out the whole thing was a bit of a hoax. There wasnt an issue with them at all

The banning of these portable cookers was NOT a hoax.

there were a number of person seriously injured from these cookers, hence the ban.

As a result of a detailed inquiry/study, these style cookers manufactured prior to 2015 were banned and recalled.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Consumers/Product_and_service_safety/Lunchbox_cookers.page

The final result being that the manufacturers were forced to make a significant safety change.  The cookers available today are considered safe.

i have used these for years.  On the ban, I got rid of mine and have since purchased another.

Hi,

Used to use one but decided on balance to get rid of it for the following reasons:

1. Got sick of adding to landfill with disposable gas containers

2. The gas gets used pretty quickly

3. Safety issues.

I now use a normal 2 burner gas stove and keep 2 1.25 kg gas bottles on hand. Not quite as quick to set up but 1.25kg of gas goes a hell of a long way and not using disposable packaging.

KB

7 hours ago, shakey55 said:

there were a number of person seriously injured from these cookers, hence the ban.

As a result of a detailed inquiry/study, these style cookers manufactured prior to 2015 were banned and recalled.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Consumers/Product_and_service_safety/Lunchbox_cookers.page

That is realy scary that 30+ burners were suspended from sale

JD

10 hours ago, shakey55 said:

The final result being that the manufacturers were forced to make a significant safety change.  The cookers available today are considered safe.

i have used these for years.  On the ban, I got rid of mine and have since purchased another.

Thank you for the heads up Shakey 55

6 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Hi,

Used to use one but decided on balance to get rid of it for the following reasons:

3. Safety issues.

I now use a normal 2 burner gas stove and keep 2 1.25 kg gas bottles on hand. Not quite as quick to set up but 1.25kg of gas goes a hell of a long way and not using disposable packaging.

KB

KB thank you for your advice I hope my one goes well I am now thinking why I got it .

On 2 January 2017 at 7:22 PM, flatheadluke said:

I've had hotdogs out of a thermos heaps of times and there great both in the boat and at work.We get long rolls from the Chinese bakery and pack some butter,cheese,mustard and sauce and of you go.

Sometines we do the usual home made soups like minestrone and chicken and corn etc as we need to keep it simple in regards to space.My mrs and son make a wicked sausage roll and we have those sometimes too although we eat them cold.

Heck when I use to have my old bigger glass boat I use to take a webber and beach my boat to cook up some marinated ribs,steaks,chops etc with the salads my wife had made the night before.

Im thinking of making up an ally frame that hangs on the outside of my gunnels to run a 2 burner gas stove again as I simply don't have the internal space in my tinny.

On 3 January 2017 at 11:38 AM, Koalaboi said:

Hi,

3. Safety issues.

KB

I don't blame you and you'll find the gas stove burns a little hotter too and the obvious advantage of running the two burners at once.

19 hours ago, blackfish angler said:

I would like to try Bacon and Eggs at first then other things I got it to use when fishing and you want something to eat as it  beat shops and a hot drink has to be the go .

The thermos will solve the hot drink issue on its own but don't skimp if purchasing.

These two thermoses that are around 22 years old have never let me down .One is a soup flask and the other is a coffeeimage.jpg thermos. 

Guest Guest123456789

@Fab1 re mounting a gas stove on your gunnel, pretty please can you make it??? I'll copy the design that would be the most awesome accessory on a tinnie ever.

On 1/3/2017 at 7:48 AM, shakey55 said:

That is absolutely correct shakey and thanks for posting. 

We got rid of all ours too and also our little heater that we used for hairtailing. 

I have the exact same one as yours. Works great, but you are very limited as to the size of pan recommended to fit on it. They have the outine of the allowable size on a piece of paper inside the packaging.

Matt