Bearing buddie cap

Martyy

Hi everyone, some bugger flogged one of my bearing buddie dust caps yesterday at the boat ramp while I was out. Didn't realise till wash down at home so it was missing while I retrieved the boat and went underwater. Still heaps of good grease in there, but do I need to pull it all apart and repack? Any advice be good thanks

I dont think they actually seal the bearings (more a dust cover), Ive also lost them from time to time and regularly pick them up at the boat ramp. They are super cheap to buy and a good reminder to pump in a little grease when you lose one.

Jon

Depends on the grease. If its marine grade (typically dark blue in color), then exposure to water is fine as it will not mix.

If its normal grease, like those Timken tubs of red grease, they are no good and will muddy up and seize your bearings within a few outings.

You can usually tell by an muddy grease around your bearing buddy. Also jack up the trailer and spin the wheel on both sides, see if there's any difference. 

If you haven't had any problems before then I don't think there is anything to worry about. Those dust caps don't actually seal out the water and there are still the seal between the bearing buddy and the hub and the other seals to possibly let in water. 

PS: There is some debate as to whether bearing buddies do any good. If possible don't dunk your bearings in the water if you don't want to regularly re-pack them.

Edited by kingfishbig

I had bearing buddies on my previous trailer with no caps. Never had a problem with the bearings. when I did finally get around to repacking the bearings the grease and the bearings were fine. A quick spray with some WD40 and a wipe down of the nipple before pumping in the grease always helps to remove any possible contaminates.

5 hours ago, Martyy said:

Hi everyone, some bugger flogged one of my bearing buddie dust caps yesterday at the boat ramp while I was out. Didn't realise till wash down at home so it was missing while I retrieved the boat and went underwater. Still heaps of good grease in there, but do I need to pull it all apart and repack? Any advice be good thanks

Hi mate,I use insulation tape over the caps and haven't lost one yet.My boat came without caps and I launches and retrieved it for over 3 years without issue.I only added them recently.

If your unfamiliar with bearings I've done a few posts on this site in the workshop which will she's some light on the subject you may want to look at.

Look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future.

Cheers.

58 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

I'm going to drill and tap the hub edges and fit tiny grub screws to my wheel hubs to lock the bearing buddies in  on my 2 boat trailers after reading this.

They are talking about the plastic caps on the bearing buddies, not the actual bearing buddies coming off, even though they sometimes can if they are not put on properly.

Edited by Roylo

I did have a problem once with my caps coming off and at first I thought it was some bugger at the ramp nicking them. I then realised that it was air pressure that was doing it. I'm guessing as the inside of the hub heats up when driving, the air expands and puts pressure on the cap. I have put a pin hole in the caps and haven't lost one in years.

11 hours ago, Roylo said:

I did have a problem once with my caps coming off and at first I thought it was some bugger at the ramp nicking them. I then realised that it was air pressure that was doing it. I'm guessing as the inside of the hub heats up when driving, the air expands and puts pressure on the cap. I have put a pin hole in the caps and haven't lost one in years.

When you put the cap on press the centre in with your thumb to expell the air out in between the cap and the buddy.This creates a vacuum that helps hold them on.

For good measure I tape them up also as I use the set and forget method.

• 2 weeks later...