Perfect Summer Day

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Headed out today from Botany at first light with the plan to be the first customer at the FAD. If they allowed sleepingbags i would have camped there overnight haha.

As soon as i passed the corner at the tugboats i knew today was going to be special. Wel at least for those of us who have runabouts and only occasionally get to go out a little wider. 

The water was almost dead flat, i managed a smooth 18 knots all the way to the botany wide FAD and it was a comfortable ride too. Tried live baits, pillie cubes, bonito strips, soft plastics and jigs and even tried to do a couple of passes with some lures in tow before the crowds arrived. NO TAKERS. I couldnt get the dollies to bite to save my life. Water temp early was 23.6 but didnt have the right color and looked somewhat dirty.

Undeterred, and only because the conditions were sooo good, i ventured further east to try trolling some lures. About 3km south east of the wide FAD i hit a temp break where the temp rose from 23.9 to 24.4 very quickly, and almost immediately had a double hook up of striped tuna. Not the best eating, but great bait when salted. I continued to work the area and managed 2 more hookups, one which i let go. Warmest water i found was 25.1

I came across some fish traps and now could see dozens of dollies hanging around. Tried every bait/arsenal i had and still couldnt tempt a bite!! 

A little later a pod of dolphins swam by and came up besides the boat as i was heading in, almost flat stick at 22 knots. Unbeleivable how good the water was outside today.

drifted the sand infront of Maroubra Bay for some blue spots, plenty there but all undersize for me today. 

What a great day to be on the water, the sun was out, the conditions were great, i got to put a bend in the rods and stocked up on bait.

Were so lucky to live in this beautiful country. 

PS- why are the dollies so timid this year? Is everyone else having similar results at the FADS

cheers

Sam

image.png

3 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Same thing at the Terrigal fad, plenty of fish cdnt get them to eat a thing

There were about 9 dolly frames a big jew frame and two black marlin frames at the cleaning table at Terrigal this afternoon, guess it's a bit hit and miss. Nothing land based the last few days either. 

On 28 January 2017 at 6:50 PM, Fernando said:

Hi mate, nice report! Does this tuna usually stay in deep waters?

tks for sharing

Thx mate, usually in deeper waters but if the warm water comes in close enough iv cought them before right next to botany FAD (the 8km one)

21 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Hopefully head to the Terrigal Fad again on Friday with less boat action I will let you know how I go

Try to get some slimies they were all over the point  near the red marker. I caught some dollies with them Saturday. Good luck 

19 minutes ago, Sportfish56 said:

Try to get some slimies they were all over the point  near the red marker. I caught some dollies with them Saturday. Good luck 

Yeah that's the plan mate we found them there the other afternoon as well, any size to the dollies?

18 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Yeah that's the plan mate we found them there the other afternoon as well, any size to the dollies?

Around 75cm they will take the big slimies I just ran a stinger hook and that's what most fish hit plenty of warm water in close too.