Friday 3rd Feb - Fishing Report

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Been a while since I did one of these due to work commitments.

Got up at 3am this morning with the intention of checking out the Sydney FAD, Long Reef and the Harbour on the way back.

I caught some livies which was not a problem as there seem to be gazillions in the harbour at the moment. The problem is more the size rather than the volume. I like smaller live bait and they are there but the bigger specimens are more abundant. I managed to get a couple of squid as well so I was happy that I had the live bait covered early.

The wrecks, quarantine station and places like shark Island are all holding yakkas and slimies so if you are heading out tomorrow, bait is the least of your problems.

I headed off to the Sydney FAD in a swell around 1 meter but it was running at about 4 and a half seconds with a bit of a wind chop so it was not a fast or comfortable trip in my boat. At the end of the day a Quintrex 5.7 meter Lazeabout is an estuary boat and you have to resign yourself to the simple fact that unless conditions are perfect its not going to be smooth sailing.

When I got to the FAD there were already half a dozen boats there with a few wide of the FAD and a few making drifts past it. The current was not running very quickly at all and the water temperature was 23 degrees. It was an overcast day which made visibility a little poor but I could still see that there were some fish on the FAD.

I have had some success using live yakkas for bigger Dollies so I hit on a drift that started me just in front of the FAD to about 50 meters past. Did the drift about 10 times also casting an SP at the FAD and came up with nothing. I moved in close and tossed an unweighted pilchard cube to see if whatever was in close could be tempted. I immediately hooked up on something but it did not feel very big. It turned out to be the smallest King I have ever caught at about 300 mm. I flicked some more cubes at the FAD in case there was something better among them but no... just a lot more 300mm Kingfish.

I tolled a couple of skirted lures wide of the FAD around for and hour or so and then tossed it in and moved across to Long Reef.

At Long Reef there were 10 or so boats and a couple of Yaks  and to make a long story short I could see that they were all hooking up to undersized kings. I caught them on squid strips, live yakkas, cut baits from the monster yakkas I caught there, and soft plastic which I was using in jigging fashion. All the fish were in the 60 to 64 cm category and , I think a little skinny which is a surprise give how much bait is around.

I headed away from Long Reef at around 12:30 and , when I got a little South of Manly Beach I cut in close to the rocks and trolled a popper and a bibbed lure all the way back and then inside North Head and down to Old Man's Hat without an inquiry. I must admit I was expecting a Bonito but it did not eventuate although I did see a few flying fish which was pretty cool.

For the next hour or so I moved between the major channel markers looking for a king but tide was probably not on my side.

I chatted to a few other fishos and there were reports of a couple of Kings to 85 cm caught at the usual spots.

I then headed home a little disappointed there were no legal kings or a dollie for the table but very relaxed nonetheless.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Thanks for the report Jim. Always keen to hear what's happening at that FADS.You know you can't get the bigins all the time ,  atleast your amongst it. I was stuck at home waiting for the school pickup , so believe me your day shat all over mine. Lol.

Hey Jim,

I was out at Longy today too, I was the first boat there. We were there from about 6:30am to 10:30am, all baby kings! And we sounded out so much bait balls too, DR-ing through them with whole live squid, only to be hit by baby 40cm kings, biggest was 61 but no legals, such a waste! We sounded inside Middle Harbour as well, along seaforth etc, sounder showed nothing.

Dave

Mate we found fish early at the Terrigal fad were eating everything early for around half an hour then would only take liveys, no big ones but enough to enjoy some fish tacos today. Went out again this morning, perfect conditions and could not get the dollies to eat, had reports from mates who went to the Broken Bay fad and they cleaned up not sure what changed at Terrigal overnight

Thanks for the comprehensive report Jim.

I strolled down to Forty Baskets for a swim, grabbed the rod and had a quick cast trying to get a bend. Few chomps -  mainly toads I guess. Too many people about. Cracking day though. Best of luck to everyone  tomorrow. 

On 03/02/2017 at 10:25 PM, The Incredible Hull said:

Hey Jim,

I was out at Longy today too, I was the first boat there. We were there from about 6:30am to 10:30am, all baby kings! And we sounded out so much bait balls too, DR-ing through them with whole live squid, only to be hit by baby 40cm kings, biggest was 61 but no legals, such a waste! We sounded inside Middle Harbour as well, along seaforth etc, sounder showed nothing.

Dave

Hi Dave,

How did we miss each other!

Good to hear that it wasn't just me missing out on the legal fish.

Cheers

Jim

Sounds like an eventful day nonetheless mate! Always a bit of fun on the light gear at least.

Had a go out long reef way on a mates boat last week which was quiet too.

Did have a black marlin strike an xrap right in close, which was a first sighting for me.

Sure you'll get onto 'em soon.

M.