Kayak Krew Meet

krause

Hello all,

Well if you have taken note of the kayak krew threads, you’d see that we planned a trip/meet. Today was the day. HenryR, Razzell, Allen F, Lungfai76 and I ventured out into port Kembla this morning at the spritely hour of 5.45am. After talking about allllll the yakkas and kings that were there the day before (yes I did it 2 days in a row, I wouldn’t recommend it), I lead the group out to the spot and said “just drop your jigs here, there will be bait everywhere”….. After 40 minutes and only 2 yakka later, I was feeling the pressure hahaha.

We gave up the bait chase with most moving to lures and we faced a very slow first hour. It got worse for me when Razzels first hookup tangled with my line because I wasn’t on the ball, causing him to loose the fish. Needless to say I was really feeling under the gun. As time passed our drought was broken with a nice little Samson fish caught by HenryR. A rarity for us all, it was a cool catch and a good start.

Meanwhile Allen had been Allen and paddled of to the other side of the world, and bloody hell it was what we needed. Not soon after he disappeared we get the call on the walkie to “come quick”, and so we did. Upon arrival Allen had released a bub kingie and bagged a nice trev whilst some boys in a boat were playing with a rat king. And this is really where it kicked of….

I don’t remember the order, but slowly one by one we found kings, not huge, but kings none the less. Slowly but surely everyone had one or two landed, excluding me of course (best for last haha). I finally broke my drought with a nice fish, and it was about this time that poor old lungfai disappeared. Sadly for him it was also the time we found the numbers. As a pack we found a school of 40-60cm fish and just had an absolute ball. Many big grins were on display as fish were landed one after the other. After watching a bloody big ship come through and being chased by the authorities, it went quiet and Razzell headed back to the ramp. Again, poor bastard, because we who remained found the next school….

Without making this report about myself, I headed up wind to restart my drift, and hooked a cute little baby on my light plastics setup. With Allen and Henry somewhere behind me, I confidently brought in the wee lil’ fish when all of a sudden the 10lb goes off behind me. S#!%!!!! I start screaming, the little guy gets thrown aside and left on the hook in the rod holder and I start on the 10lb gear, which was a much more solid fish that went straight for the only crab pot in the damn ocean (gotta love kings right?) At this point my knight in shining armour is on the way and comes and deals with the little guy on my 2nd setup. With a serious fight on the end of the rod in my hands, I hear yet another drag go. F. M. L…. Here goes the 3rd setup (yes Im the fool out there with 2 baits out). With what is now a triple hook-up I’ve got one rod with Henry, one in my hand and a third fish going for broke in the holder. Long story short the big bugger finally got to the crab pot and went through the leader, and I got the third fish in. Bloody hell I tell you want that was an action packed 10 minutes. And now they were on again…. And up to just short of the magic 65am and pulling hard.

Both Allen and Henry were onto fish time and time again, with poor Henry losing a few battle on his bream gear haha!!! Not learning from my first experience I had 2 more double hook-ups before the school went quite again, with Allen, Henry and I landing a total of 31 kings before we called it a day. Raz and Lungfai would have to add another 10 or more to that count, making for the most action packed day on the water any of us had seen.

There were highs and lows with each of us being bested by what can be assumed to be well and truly legal fish. There were tragedies with Raz not so willingly donating a rod and reel to the bottom of the ocean, please no one tell him about leashes, it’s just too soon :P . There were tangles, which I have to own up to (sorry raz hahah) and despite the real lack of livies we did bloody well! Shame we couldn’t bag a legal with the biggest going 63 (I think….). The weather was quite literally perfect, and it was a damn good day that none of us will best for quite a while. Im looking forward to the next meet (Botany Bay for those interested) and am keen to get a few more fish in the near future. And as I write this, half asleep and drooling on my keyboard, I say farewell, and cheers for the day boys. Allen, photos are on you.

Thanks for the read,

Regards, the idiots in the yaks!

well well well, today's session has me completely wrecked. Thank you for the write up krausy, here is my side of the story ;) Being first to port kembla after one hour of sleep, I was wrecked. I passed through a maccas and racked up a 24 pack of nuggets, bless the $9.95 deal and 2 burgs (with the intention to share ofc). I'd like to think of myself as the saviour for today, giving life to a starving krause as he arrived at the boat ramp eager to get out there for some big kingies. As krause said, the first hour was slow with only 2 livies being picked up and a handful of ugly little sweep. I switched up tactics and started micro-jigging on the gomoku for the first time in my life. Shortly I got onto a fat salmon, with a quick fight and beautifully acrobatic leap to the backdrop of the rising sun, it spat the hook and tears were shed. A few more drops later and that was pretty much it, no more action for a while then ofcourse tragedy hits for raz and a fish is dropped before he gets onto a nice sergeant baker (estimating roughly 40cm). A few more drops of the jig and nothing before I decided to head to the northern breakwall for a go. Upon arrival, the water was busting up all around me, a few boats chasing the bust ups and I drop the jig again. First drop and I was onto a fat trevally, going 40cm. Whilst I had the fish on, I was calling the boys over on the walkie, as soon as I popped the trev in the yak, I saw another boat hook up and I dropped the jig down again. Second drop and I was on, it was peeling line, I was stoked, turned out it was a 30cm kingy!!! TOO CUTE. I almost took it home for the aquarium (joking joking, thats illegal a f) But never the less super cute and put up a fight for much bigger than it seemed. By the time the boys were around, everyone started hooking up within the hour, smashing kingies left right and centre up to 60cm, with krause picking up the biggest of the day at 63. Just prior to the pick up, raz had hooked up to this first for the day and come over for a measure when tragedy struck and an outfit went overboard during the handover (hope you picked up a nice combo after!! :1crybaby:). Regardless we pushed on and as I pulled up next to krause while he was checking bait, a metre or so hammerhead circled his bait, pretty cool (also a good edition for the fish tank). Pushing on, everyone was hooking up and smashing kings and I landed an eastern fiddler ray at roughly 50cm, thats a first for me so that was pretty cool. Pushing on kingie after kingie and almost being flipped by some idiots speeding past us, I can safely say it was a great day out with lads. Nice meeting a few of you boys which I haven't met before and I definitely look forward to more sessions together!!! Let's hopefully get into a few legals next time aye, but for now, my back is gone and my ass cheeks are also gone, I believe it's time to sleep hahahah.

All the videos I took today are on my Instagram, nothing special. But here are the photos I managed to take :)

16523705_10155190035705934_893306305_o.jpg

16522190_10155190035820934_1189372436_o.jpg

16466260_10155190035870934_1709071424_o.jpg

P.S NEVER TRY TO FIGHT KINGS OFF THE YAK AFTER BACK DAY AT THE GYM.... You're in for some crazy suffering :1crybaby::1crybaby:

Edited by allen_f

1 hour sleep? Hehe I had 0, which caused me to forget sounder, SP setup, my breakfast esky (hence the empty milk crate), wrong landing net, and my sunnies. 

By 9am I was hungry enough to take a bite out of a rat kings shoulder before releasing it ?

All in all was a great day out there. Hopefully the new job allows me to attend the next meet as it's nice seeing a gaggle of idiot kayakers annoying the bloated boaties ?

1k from boat ramp, about 50m radius of breakwall heads, so basically just dipping our toes into open ocean. No point going further unless you are heading towards the islands, we mainly stuck to the structures.

Session was about 5-6 hours.

Kayak Meet.avi

Edited by Lungfai76
Playing around with attachments

16 minutes ago, Lungfai76 said:

1k from boat ramp, about 50m radius of breakwall heads, so basically just dipping our toes into open ocean. No point going further unless you are heading towards the islands, we mainly stuck to the structures.

Session was about 5-6 hours.

Thanks.

Great write up guys, sounds like you had a nice morning on the water. I headed out on my yak to Malabar and it was definitely one of the nicer mornings I've had on the water in a while with perfect conditions. 

Ah you legends! Fishraider Kayak Krew rocks

That was a great report and you always make it an adventure. It must have been exciting using your Comms to talk to each other. We need to get some stickers to you! 

We are actually sitting having breakfast a long way away and it is nice to see what members are up to. Here is our view :)

IMG_6040.JPG

Top morning guys, really enjoyed it. Highlight for me was watching Krause squirm at the thought that we were going to blank on kings and blame him, haha.

I knew there would be more as soon as I buggered off... I picked up a mac tuna on the way back to the ramp which gave a good account of itself. 

Stopped by BCF on the way home to grab a replacement setup, but of course they had a sale on so it would have been rude not to get two set ups... Lose one, get two. That will make sure I'm never out of gear no matter how many I drop!

Look forward to the next one!

9 hours ago, Razzell said:

Top morning guys, really enjoyed it. Highlight for me was watching Krause squirm at the thought that we were going to blank on kings and blame him, haha.

I knew there would be more as soon as I buggered off... I picked up a mac tuna on the way back to the ramp which gave a good account of itself. 

Stopped by BCF on the way home to grab a replacement setup, but of course they had a sale on so it would have been rude not to get two set ups... Lose one, get two. That will make sure I'm never out of gear no matter how many I drop!

Look forward to the next one!

omg you picked up a mac tuna? :'( cries. How big was the fella? And yesss soon you'll become a hydra, drop one combo, come back with two instead :P You should name the new yak, 'hydra of the seas'!!!