Squid behaviour

Flickn Mad

Hey guys. I haven't been on here for ages.

It was getting to frustrating while working every waking moment between family commitments then reading about you fellas actually catching fish. 

Any how we recently headed up to tea gardens for our anual family get together and thought I might post about the squid I encountered up there. 

While the kids were playing in the sandy shallows with the grand parents I walked out to waiste deep water and cast a squid jig out to the weed line. 

5 casts and 3 squid. All average 25 cm units. The best fun was walking back to shore all 30 or so meters away pulling the squid past the kids. Watching the squid ink and change colour was a great experience for the kids. One squid did some thing I have never seen before. As soon as I de hooked it and returned it to the water it inked and instead of shooting off turned itself jet black in an instant and stayed motionless for about 30 seconds before slowly dropping to the bottom  turning pale and skulking off. I thought that was pretty cool.

I also witnessed a tiny snack size 4 inch squid drifting over a barren sand flat sitting parallel to the one drifting strand of sea grass visible for 50 meters. I guess it's the oasis in the desert. The little bugger was darting out and grabbing tiny bait fish not much larger than 15mm long. 

This was also really cool to watch and I will defiantly keep in mind when trying to catch bait.   

Also posted in the aquarium section about some weird prawns we caught. 

Any way, gatta rate tea gardens and hawks nest pretty high on my favourite spots since spending time there with the extended family.  Lakes, rivers, surf beach. Golf course. What more could you whant in a holiday.

Gotta agree tea gardens and Hawks nest is a fav of mine, spent many a school holidays up at my grand parents place out on the boat and having a hit if golf. Some really nice sand flats up near Jimmy's beach that we always use to catch some nice sized lizards at. Need to get back up there. Were you squiding near the shops near tea garden pool just before the bridge??

Brownie

swimming off the beach one day saw a semi circle of blackfish halfway down in about 5m.8 or so fish .One looked odd- it was a calamari in the conga line.Tentacles clenched to make a head shape and stripes matching the luderick.My guess it was hunting an unsuspecting passer-by,not sure what all that impersonation was all about.

On ‎6‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:09 PM, Welster said:

That's right everything does.  Well maybe not the blackfish. 

actually I once caught a blackfish on a squid tentacle of the beach when targeting bream. I was fairly surprised but I guess they are like my mate, not always vegetarian ?

1 hour ago, kiwicraig said:

actually I once caught a blackfish on a squid tentacle of the beach when targeting bream. I was fairly surprised but I guess they are like my mate, not always vegetarian ?

Ok everything then.