Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to the deep off Lilli Pilli. Expected to get rained on, but only one heavy shower.

Tried pillies (for nothing) and fish strips, which caught the flounder, crab and a kingie that would have been about 50cm. A live yakka just kept swimming about.

A couple of fish splashes near the boat, thought they were frigates so started spinning and eventually hooked the little mack tuna.

Packed up and headed to Maianbar to pump some nippers. While there, I saw a massive flock of gulls and terns feeding away in the shallows nearby, so motored over and threw out a lure. Pulled out my bag limit of 10 tailor, only just over the size limit, and some throwbacks as well. Most had full stomachs of whitebait but hungry tailor will just keep eating away. Left them biting. Less than an hour's fishing for the tailor.

I had a few nippers, so drifted about the flats but only the one flattie, then headed home.

fish.jpeg.94.png

Guest Guest123456789

Well done!

Looks like you found yourself a nursery there full of seafood. The smaller ones are sweeter right?

13 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Nice one Yowie,

The tailor bust ups are a lot of fun eh?

Cheers

Jim

They certainly are Jim.

After the surface action went quiet, I found they were still feeding but not too deep.

There were a couple of bust ups by bigger fish, probably salmon, in water a metre or less deep. Salmon are not scared of swimming into very shallow water to grab a feed.

Dave.

13 hours ago, Farvos said:

Nice little haul.. are there crabs a plenty in lilli pilli to your knowledge?

Not a lot, only the one yesterday, but I was not fishing specifically for crabs.

12 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Well done!

Looks like you found yourself a nursery there full of seafood. The smaller ones are sweeter right?

As for tailor, I like a fillet from one of 40 to 45 cm, crumbed and panned fried, or marinated in lime juice, a little bit of sweet chilli and onto the BBQ. A slightly stronger flavour at that size to the smaller ones (which I still like anyway). Over the 50 cm mark, the tailor become rather stronger in taste, and need a bit of flavouring to balance the taste.

7 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great stuff yowie! Ive changed my mind on tailor, they aren't that bad on the tooth! But still reckon they make better bait! :) 

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie.

They do make very good bait. I salt the fillets for a day, then freeze them, fillets into individual bags. Still good after 12 months in the freezer  (at times I hear, "The freezer stinks. Do you need so much bloody bait?) Well, yes I do, it's cheaper than buying it. :lol:

11 hours ago, finin said:

Yowie thats disgraceful, not even a mowie there lol.

There is a picture of a mowie with a red circle around it and red line across it, on the side of the boat.

Mowie free boat.   :lol:

On Thursday, March 02, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Yowie said:

As for tailor, I like a fillet from one of 40 to 45 cm, crumbed and panned fried, or marinated in lime juice, a little bit of sweet chilli and onto the BBQ. A slightly stronger flavour at that size to the smaller ones (which I still like anyway). Over the 50 cm mark, the tailor become rather stronger in taste, and need a bit of flavouring to balance the taste.

How do those taylor go smoked??

11 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

How do those taylor go smoked??

Have tried them before in a shoe box size smoker and they tasted rather good. Hot smoked as they were eaten straight away, not left to cool off and later eaten as cold smoked.

Edited by Yowie