Port Stephens

longy509

Hi i just had 2 weeks holidays with the wife and rented a holiday unit at Salamander bay spent the first week fishing around the bay and made it out to broughton island for a day  catching a lot of little stuff nothing worth writing home about  other then a decent couple of hour session on the squid out front of shoal bay and a little bonito on a lure on the way to broughton.

The second week i got hold of Scratchie who was keen to go for a fish even though he was running on 2 hours sleep over the previous 2 days i met him at little beach boat ramp at  8.15am he was coming straight from work but still keen for a fish,

After catching a few  slimies and yakkas at the heads  we headed south when we got  to our destination  a  slimy went straight out on the big rod i dropped some fresh calamari and scratchie proceeded to flick a few soft plastics around, After about an hour i was in the minus after reeling in a few boot fish scratchie hooked up on a decent snapper but dropped it close to the the boat as i was getting the net ready then he got hit by another good'n  that took some decent drag before escaping in between i got pan sized snapper that went in the esky.

We then decided to chuck a couple of lures out and head back and  after roughly 5 minutes the reel was screaming and i jumped on it and bought in a nice little mac tuna  then 5 minutes later another one  the nothing else  back to the ramp  over all an interesting 4 hour session and i learned  quite a bit from scratchie Cheers mate.

The next day i headed to broughton again with the missus  we landed a few under size kings i got smoked twice on live bait and got  a few keeper flatties and some trevally  also got  dozen blue swimmers in the crab trap so overall had a pretty good 2 weeks away from work even though i wont live down the fact that the  missus got the most squid and the biggest flatties.

DSC_0323.JPG

DSC_0332.JPG

DSC_0325.JPG

Good on you longy! Glad you had a great trip up here mate! The conditions on the day weren't fantastic but fishable! Would have liked to hit those reefs earlier for a few more snaps! They were two decent mackies you caught too! Put up a great fight and both released! Sorry it was a short trip but that was the only window of time I had! Couldn't keep my eyes open any longer! Next time I'll plan a day at Broughton with you! 

All the best,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers everyone had a good time up there just cruising around on the water beats work any day,

No dramas with the short session either Scratchie i just appreciate the fact you were willing to come out for a fish  and give me a few  tips as well, I will be sure to get in contact next time im up that way and see if your keen for another run.