Forster and Stockton's beach trip

jtp

This report is long overdue and just thought i'd combine 2 trips. One to stockton's beach and Forster. 

About a month ago went up to Stocktons for an overnight beach fishing session. Started in the late arvo, found a decent gutter and setup for the night. Unfortunately it was a pretty miserable night with both thunder and wind. Spent half the night in the car. Aiming for tailor and salmon on ganged pilchard and 2 rods out on paternoster rig and whole freshly caught squid for the elusive mulloway. Managed 4 tailor all around the 40-45cm mark and was plagued by stingrays for the rest of the night. Nothing was tempted by the squid except for pickers.

The Forster trip was about a few weeks ago. Normally camp but due to the rain i treated myself to a cabin. Spent a few days there with the hobie targeting blue swimmers with a crab trap and bream whiting and flathead with soft plastics. There were plenty of crabs around. With me quickly reaching the bag limit on both nights and using just a single trap. Most were around 8cm, so certainly not the largest ive gotten around lake wallis. Because of the wind i quickly gave up on the hobie and reaching my bag and possession limits for crabs i focused the rest of the trip on landbased/wading the shallows in knee depth water for bream whiting and flathead. I was using 6lb braid to 8lb mono and a simple prawn soft plastic. The first day I lost so many fish trying to get them into the bloody keeper bag because i had forgotten the lip grips. In the end managed a feed of bream around 30 -32cm, whiting between 32 - 38 and a few flathead between 42 - 46cm. So despite the weather, it was still an enjoyable trip.

Thanks

Joe

20170306_193647.jpg

20170307_140327.jpg

Edited by jtp
Forgot photos

19 hours ago, smc2010 said:

I'm heading stockton beach tomorrow for a night or two. Is there any area on the beach you would recommend,  just a general area??

Hi mate, i normally just drive along the beach until i find a good long and close gutter somewhere quiet and away from everyone else, which can be hard as it gets packed at times! Good luck.