Tuesday 18/4/17

GoingFishing

Well conditions were near perfect today. The plan was to target my fav species the humble flathead as the last feed of fish was entirely consumed at family lunch on Sunday. Dad was pumped as he missed the last trip and we were on our way by 730 (gentlemans hours today)

We averaged 20-23 knots all the way from Rose Bay ramp to the new spot i had success at on friday just off Manly. The swell was averaging about 1m but with little chop on top and with wide spacing i was essentially able to drive straight over the top. Made for a comfortable smooth ride. Saw a bust up just off north head but by the time i pulled the metals out and tied them on they had dissappeared and didnt resurface.

Armed with leftovers we had a mixed bag of day old prawns and salted bonito strips which had more or less spent the day in the sun during the last outing.

the flatties were still around and on the chew and both of us had bagged out by 930. Found some better flatties today biggest going 52cm and most around the 40cm mark. 

Did a drift over queenscliff reef again for a single panny at 32cm and a rat king which was sent back on his way ! 

Did a little more exploration of the new spot and have determined that there is a reef to the west and some weedy/seagrassy grounds to the east with a patch of sand about 400m wide Inbetween them. Explains the unusually good concentration of flathead i guess ! 

Thanks for reading

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Well done!Great report.Looks like you've got the brain spiking down pat.

Cheers.

Thanks mate, those larger flathead cant give a pretty nasty spike so i tend to give them a quick spike through the centre of the skull. Quick death which is better than letting them die slow i must add ! 

1 hour ago, Rah said:

Well done. Great haul there. 

Cheers 

Tara

Thanks Tara

41 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Sounds like a great trip for yourself and your Dad. Lotsa good feeds there too. BN

Cheers BN, dad loves his flathead too and so does his best mate so he always gives some away ( after iv cleaned them of course ?

40 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:

That sounds like you are fishing my favorite flathead drift..... I was there on Saturday, pulled a couple of keepers and a bunch of just undersized along with a few trev's. :-)

Its a great location!! Really glad i found it, protected from the swell on most days and at a reasonable depth, the arms get a work out when we fish 40-60m deep and especially the old man gets buggered 

what boat do you have i might say hello next time :) 

On 18/04/2017 at 7:03 PM, GoingFishing said:

Its a great location!! Really glad i found it, protected from the swell on most days and at a reasonable depth, the arms get a work out when we fish 40-60m deep and especially the old man gets buggered 

what boat do you have i might say hello next time :) 

I have a small Quintrex runabout, 4.8m. White with a black and red flash on the side and a burgandy bimini. 60 Merc on the back. Often out on my own or with 1 other. Drop by and say Hi. :)

Edited by GordoRetired

On 26/04/2017 at 11:45 AM, GordoRetired said:

I have a small Quintrex runabout, 4.8m. White with a black and red flash on the side and a burgandy bimini. 60 Merc on the back. Often out on my own or with 1 other. Drop by and say Hi. :)

I am also in a quintrex runabout, black, no decal and no bimini !!! 75 evinrude 

will say hello next time ?