Port Stephens

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Just a quick report. 

How good was the weather yesterday! 

Headed up past Broughton island with a mate and fellow raider jrcjamie at first light in search of a few decent snapper. Arrived at our spot and things looked promising as Jamie lands a nice one first drop! I'm casting sps and next minute bang, absolutely smoked by a horse that soon chews through the leader. We managed a few more pannies but things went quiet until the trag came on! Got our bag and had many a tussle with some solid Noah's! I managed a nice macky. Live bait was hard to come by for some reason. The day was a complete glass out. Water temp 23-24. Seen a marlin at the back of our boat that we were about to chuck a livie at, then realised a boat 100m from us was hooked up but he didn't know! Lol. Well it soon woke him up and after a few ariels spat the hook! Cool to see 20m from our boat! Decided to call stumps about 3pm and home early enough to cook dinner and watch the sunset! 

Awesome day and the fish were a bonus! 

cheers scratchie!!!IMG_0310.JPGIMG_0311.JPG

3 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

leavin bout 11 headin for broughton for overnighter ..lookin good weather wise  hope to get a few reds...are the beakies at gibber scratchie..rick

I think your right! Lol. There maybe a few kings at north rock too! :) 

good luck rick!!

Sensational work Scratchie!  Mate I think that's the only kind of seas that could get me out on a boat - unless you need an automatic burley machine hanging over the side!  Very nice pal - I'll be lurking about over the weekend hopefully they stay on the chew.

Glass and blue, dont get much better than that. Nice feed there Scratchie! You gotta get out of the habit of making fish look bigger in a photo, doesnt suit you..?

Edited by finin

58 minutes ago, finin said:

Glass and blue, dont get much better than that. Nice feed there Scratchie! You gotta get out of the habit of making fish look bigger in a photo, doesnt suit you..?

Lol....nah, I just have a small head! 

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Lovely conditions and a good haul of fish Scratchie. Don't think I've ever seen a Trag, are they good to eat? Neil

They are similar to a jewfish but smaller. Similar shape, mouth, colour and bloodline. They eat just as well. Generally school in big numbers so they aren't that difficult to catch once you find them. They bite rather softly and have softer mouths, so you either you circle hooks or don't strike intensely! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Great effort, Jeff!

That water looked magic! That's how I like it!

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow. I wanted to fish this Tuesday as the seas should be slight but my son is borrowing my car to go to Sydney, so no tow vehicle. Might have to fish the rocks. I think Wed will be a bit rough for outside or the rocks. I'm dying to try a few new spots and techniques. ?

Very Nice Scratchie!! Another note, anyone who gets sick or thinks they just get sick in a boat push through it!! When i started going it took me over five years to get used to it and not spew up!! Now i can down a carton the night before and feel as good as gold on the water the next day!!! despite the hangover! haha

10 hours ago, Scratchie said:

And they were still there this morning......

IMG_0340.JPGIMG_0343.JPG

Gave the sambo to a tourist and kept the bonnie to try sashimi. Not keen but I'll give it a try! 

Let me know how the bonito goes as sashimi. I'm planning to try making Thai fish cakes with mine, also try some in the smoker.

Edited by Berleyguts