Finally

kiwibrown

Hi,

Went out in the Kayak from Tunks Park on Saturday morning, quite a long paddle to my spot but well worth it.

First pilchard tail down and massive strike, i knew it was decent and after about 10 minutes i had my first kingfish flapping around in the kayak. A couple of photos and back he went. I berleyed hard with bread and had about 5 kings under my kayak, they were even eating crusts off the surface, i threw a few pilchard cubes in and they got nailed straight away. As soon as i stuck a hook in one they wouldnt go near it. However this bonito(i think) came charging in from nowhere and gulped down my hooked piece. As i was trying to get him in the kings were having a real go at it. After that came a trevally on the sabiki (amazing what you get on those). Got a lot of smaller stuff also. I ended up using my last pilchards to feed the kingfish and took a video.

Annoyingly this time i couldn't get and livies to try. Next time i'll give it a go with a jig perhaps. Anyway what a crazy brilliant little session, made the paddle back a bit easier.

cheers

Neil

IMG_20170429_081238.jpg

" As soon as i stuck a hook in one they wouldn't go near it"

I know what you mean. It can be tricky particularly up near the surface where visibility if optimum.

I have have better success on , (for example Kings in the burley trail) by completely hiding the hook in an unweighted bait. A fluorocarbon leader is best for this for minimum visibility. Sometimes you will need to let it sink down of sight. It wont always work but it is increases the chances somewhat.

Cheers

JIm

cheers guys,

yeah i took the beads off (got the king with them on but down on the bottom) and tried to disguise the hook but no good. You're right Frag, i needed some fluro carbon and probably lighter too

Well done on your first king Neil! Hope it's the first of many!

Interested in how you located the kings. Were they busting on the surface or did you see some arches on the sounder?

cheers undy,

nothing that sophisticated on my kayak unfortunately....yet. I've found a spot where i've seen them each time i've been there just by berleying or literally swimming under my kayak (never busting up). Almost seems as though they are resident there. Its a nice calm deep spot. they all seem about in that 60-70cm range but i guess there are bigger ones lurking.

Sometimes you can fool the kings by hiding the hook inside a mangled bait, that is, a fillet that is a bit chopped up. A perfect bait is sometimes too perfect for the smart arses.

Another technique is to bounce a bait on the surface, a hungry king will sometimes grab it on the surface, though this usually only works with the rat size kings. By the time they have reached legal size, they have wised up to a few of the tricks used.

Mate that is a beautiful king you have managed. I still haven't got one since summer.

Interesting about the finicky behaviour. Be happy with one!

Second fish is a mac tuna or a leaping bonito? Can someone verify?

Great stuff, awesome report!

thanks Yowie, i'll definitely give that a go not only as its come from the guru but they were actively on the surface taking bread

blaxland- no i dont think its anywhere near the wreck....assuming that is close to the ramp on the left hand side? I paddle quite a way from the ramp past figtree point. Its good exercise and clears and Friday night shenanigans from the system