Port Hacking

Yowie

Before I headed out this morning, I threw out a line at my mum's place in Gunnamatta Bay for the bream. A dark coloured one at that. A few of them in Gunnamatta are also dark coloured, they must have spent some time inside the bay in the deep water and not moved over the shallow banks where the colour will turn a lighter shade of silver. (not too noticeable in the photo, but the skin and scales were a dark golden colour)

Started fishing early near the mouth of Yowie Bay. Pulled out the tailor and Watson's bonnie on fish strips, the legal sized reddies took a liking to squid strips, whereas the undersized reddies ate anything going.

The kingie grabbed a small strip of salted slimy, fished on the bottom with a 12 pound hand line. It took off slowly until I tightened the line, then it took off like a rocket. I suffered a burn mark into the skin on one finger, so had to swap the line to the other hand. The bugger swam around another line, so I had to retrieve around that line, then somehow a knot developed in the line about 15 metres up from the hook, so every time the kingie pulled the knotted line into the water, I had to reduce pressure so as not to snap the line at the knot. Took a little while longer than normal to land the fish with the knotted line.

fish.jpeg.104.pngHeaded to Salmon Haul Bay where I pulled out 2 average sized squid on a jig during the first few casts, but many casts after that for nothing, so headed home. Cleaned the fish, threw in the fish scraps and bones, and a few more bream turned up, again rather dark coloured.

Edited by Yowie

I see "Port Hacking" and think "Here we go, Yowie's at it again..." Lo and behold!

Great stuff mate, and a king on a handline! Well done.

You're right about that bream too, it is rather dark.

Cheers,
Wellzy

Thanks Wellzy,

Tried a different spot I have not fished for a while. A few legal reddies  (or pannies) in the deep water, but only just legal. Happy with the kingie, they fight hard on a hand line.

Great results as always Yowie. Kingy on a handline is definitely an achievement. 

Do the slimies come into the hacking or do u get them outside. 

Iv struggled to ever find slimies inside Sydney harbour and have wondered why they arent as common inside the harbour as opposed to other estuaries/bays

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great results as always Yowie. Kingy on a handline is definitely an achievement. 

Do the slimies come into the hacking or do u get them outside. 

Iv struggled to ever find slimies inside Sydney harbour and have wondered why they arent as common inside the harbour as opposed to other estuaries/bays

Do not catch very many slimies up river. The fillets  used were from one I caught outside last month while fishing for flatties.

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Another great mixed bag Yowie. Are you named after Yowie Bay, or is it named after you? BN

I first started fishing from the Yowie Bay wharf as a kid, so I thought Yowie would do as a name.

A few of us would head to the wharf after school and pull out a few fish. Very few boats would pull up at the wharf in those days (late 1950's into the 60's). No fancy lures like today, a metal Wonder Wobbler lure was the 'in' lure to own, and it caught many types of fish. No squid jigs like today - an old fisho showed me how to make my own out of a piece of cane, with a few small hooks tied to the bottom and some aluminium foil wrapped around and tied on with fishing line.

Many stories can be told about the wharf and people from those days.

7 hours ago, Yowie said:

I first started fishing from the Yowie Bay wharf as a kid, so I thought Yowie would do as a name.

A few of us would head to the wharf after school and pull out a few fish. Very few boats would pull up at the wharf in those days (late 1950's into the 60's). No fancy lures like today, a metal Wonder Wobbler lure was the 'in' lure to own, and it caught many types of fish. No squid jigs like today - an old fisho showed me how to make my own out of a piece of cane, with a few small hooks tied to the bottom and some aluminium foil wrapped around and tied on with fishing line.

Many stories can be told about the wharf and people from those days.

We should catch up and have a beer when I'm in Sydney next week, if you're anywhere near to Caringbah area. I see that Jim has posted a picture of the Wobbler, not unlike some of the slugs available today. Cheers, BN

2 hours ago, fragmeister said:

The Wonder Wobbler ... now there's a blast from the past!

Here's a pic for those too young to remember!

Image result for wonder wobbler

Cheers

Jim

I have a couple of rusty ones, and one that has never been near water.

From what I can remember catching with this lure - tailor, kingfish, salmon, trevally, bonito, Watson's bonito, frigates, small mack tuna, a small unidentified tuna, pike, snook, flathead, jewfish, trout, a couple of little reddies, a small whiting, squid, octopus, cuttlefish, a numb ray (a bit hard to remove the lure as the bastard kept giving me an electric shock, but it wasn't keeping my lure) and a blue swimmer crab (grabbed the lure in a nipper and would not let go until it hit the bottom of the boat) plus some other fish were unstoppable.

34 minutes ago, big Neil said:

We should catch up and have a beer when I'm in Sydney next week, if you're anywhere near to Caringbah area. I see that Jim has posted a picture of the Wobbler, not unlike some of the slugs available today. Cheers, BN

Send me a message when you are up this way, and I'll see what I'm doing.

G'day Yowie, I won't have access to a computer while I'm in Sydney (have a PC at home). My mobile is 0466853633 if you want to send me a text with your number. Be nice to have a few ales with any of the Shire Raiders one evening. Maybe you could see if anybody is interested. Will be in Sydney Thu 18th to Sun 21st May. Cheers, Neil

Guest Guest123456789

old school hand lining, love it Yowie :1punk:

Edited by Guest123456789
typo

Nice bag yowie ;)

I can never seem to get a legal red whenever I'm on the hacking but thats not to often. 

Nice king to mate!

Apart fron being great on the bbq I love the kings done sushimi style or also cured & part of a salad.

Its been ages since I've been to the port, might have to be my next trip 

39 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice bag yowie ;)

I can never seem to get a legal red whenever I'm on the hacking but thats not to often. 

Nice king to mate!

Apart fron being great on the bbq I love the kings done sushimi style or also cured & part of a salad.

Its been ages since I've been to the port, might have to be my next trip 

As you can see, there are a few legal reds here and there, but, there are a lot of undersized ones in between.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, fragmeister said:

The Wonder Wobbler ... now there's a blast from the past!

Here's a pic for those too young to remember!

Image result for wonder wobbler

Cheers

Jim

Ahhhhh the old wonder wobbler.

Caught many a good flathead and bream down Sussex Inlet on these little beauties.

20 hours ago, Yowie said:

As you can see, there are a few legal reds here and there, but, there are a lot of undersized ones in between.

Good report Yowie.I must be a magnet for those inbetween undersized ones.I can just see the little ones thinking....here comes that sucker to feed me all his bait.