Anyone bought braid on Ebay

Volitan

I need to buy some braid. I was thinking that if I buy some 1000 or 2000 metre spools then I should have enough to charge my reels up when I need to without having knots midlength, or wasteage of partial spools.

Im thinking of getting one spool of 20lb and one of 40 lb. I'd like at least the 40lb spool to be the multicolour type, where colour changes every 10 meters.

so has anyone bought braid off eBay that they can recommend?

or anywhere else online. That quantity is just a bit too dear at the tackle shops.

i should point out that I don't do extreme fishing (I wish), so both the 20 and 40 lb will be overgunned for what I need. I guess I just don't want anything with soft spots, or maniacal tangling tendencies, or suspiciously short lifespans. it doesn't have to be top of the line name brand stuff, just something reliable.

I did a search and found Kastking recommended, but suppliers seem to be out of the multi-colour version, and mostly seem to have only the smaller spools.

so any other recommendations?

cheers

arron

Edited by Volitan
  • Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

I've used the kastking braid. It's ok stuff, the dye does fade very quickly though.

Result is I bought 1000m spools from 3 sources. The 20 lb is kastking. Also some 40lb which is 8 strand. I'll post what I think of them after I've used them for a few months. Cost varied from 18 to 30 bucks per 1000m spool.

thanks for the advice and the pm.

arron

• 2 weeks later...

The first of the braids arrived a few days ago. I thought I should post my impressions here in case anyone else is interested.

the first one is this one - the Spectra  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Colour-8-Strands-1000M-PE-Dyneema-Braid-Fishing-Line-10LB-300LB-Spectra-Big-Game/251754862866?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D75bc636487b74422948ba143e5f364ee%26pid%3D100102%26.

It must have taken just a week to get here from China.

i obviously can't evaluate how well it lasts over time, but in terms of what I see in front of me it's an excellent product. Super smooth and fine.

its advertised at .37mm thick, but using a micrometer I measure it at .34. It's hard to measure braid because it compresses but I fine tuned a methodology until I got the same measures off some locally sourced braid as was advertised.

using a uni knot, I lifted a 20kg weight off the ground. I didn't have any other items of known weight handy to bring it up to the 50lb advertised, so I will check that again later. In any case, 20kg is about 43 lb, so allowing for the uni knot Taking away a few percent of bs, then don't think there is an issue with rated strength.

$37 for 1000 meters makes it twice as expensive as the other 2 I purchased, but still good value.

ill post my impressions on the other two product when they arrive - if people are interested.

ps. Standard disclaimer -I have no connection with any of the vendors.

cheers

arron

Edited by Volitan
  • Thanks 1

ive had the thirty lb on a reel for four years and still goin strong..and eighty on my electric for three...the spectra is pretty good stuff  all up I have it on five reels and have two new spools I havnt touched...for the price you cant go wrong neil..rick

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

ive had the thirty lb on a reel for four years and still goin strong..and eighty on my electric for three...the spectra is pretty good stuff  all up I have it on five reels and have two new spools I havnt touched...for the price you cant go wrong neil..rick

Cheers Rick.BN

the second spool arrived a couple of days ago. It's the HugoHugh.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272600091852?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=571718555840&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

postage from china seems to be getting a lot quicker.

there is a noticeable difference between this one (4 strand) and the Sprectre mentioned above (8 strand). It doesn't have the silky smoothness of the spectra - it feels quite coarse. I imagine it would generate quite a bit of friction on a long cast. 

This one is also flat in profile, not round like the spectra. I imagine that would make it more prone to tangles.

measuring it using the same methodology, it's thin - about 0.31 mm - though it's 40 lb not 50 like the spectra. Strength is good - lifting 40 lbs on a uni knot.

so not a product I can easily recommend. At $19 delivered for 1000 meters, however, its about half the price of the spectra so you get what you pay for.

again, no connection to vendor.

Edited by Volitan
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK. the last spool arrived last week. It's the KastKing

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KastKing-1000M-Super-Strong-PE-Dyneema-Spectra-Braided-Fishing-Line-Braided-Line/191740774787?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=490760476609&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Generally, it looks like good stuff. It's round in cross section, and being 4 strand is somewhat gritty feeling ( which will increase friction when casting). One thing that did disappoint me is that it measures 0.28mm (using the same methodology as the previous spools) though is advertised at 0.22mm. Strength seems good, though I can't test that till later this week. I also note that it's very limp, so will loop easily (tangles are basically caused by looping).

Putting these three products side by side, and having already used the Hugohugh and Kastking for beachfishing several times, I'd rate the brand I reviewed first (the spectra) as the best by a significant margin - I guess it's the old 'you get what you pay for' thing. 

The other two brands represent good value for money.

cheers

• Thanks 2

Guest Guest123456789

Been down your path Volitan and ended up on the daiwa j braid x4 from the local tackle store.

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

Been down your path Volitan and ended up on the daiwa j braid x4 from the local tackle store.

haha nothing beats j braid i love the stuff you can buy cheap mono and spool a bit of your reel with that then put the braid on that's more cost effective and u know you can still have quality braid.

• 10 months later...
On 04/06/2017 at 1:57 PM, big Neil said:

Interesting Arron. Put a post on when you've done some long term testing of your purchase. BN

Having used these products for about a year now here goes...

Actually, they are all good. If there is a shortcoming with them, I can’t see it. Perhaps I’m just not catching large enough fish.

None seem to be prone to tangles, despite what I said in the posts above.

i can’t remember any unexpected break offs.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1