First time carp/river fishing

omnimaqq

Being in the Southern Highlands over the weekend and recently picked up fishing, thought I'd give river fishing a go. Have never done river fishing before so headed down to the Wingecarribee River which supposedly is full of carp. There's a fishing platform near Oxley college near the railway which was perfect for a few flicks. 

Researched prior to that on fishraider on tips on catching carp so using a small hook and filling it with sweet corn, threw corn pellets and bread near the structure and flicked the line not very far. Let the hook sink to the bottom and waited for the line to drift on its own which meant the carp was hooked! First ever fish using the rod!! Then we caught about 6 more. 

Cooked these pests in the fry pan and it actually tasted very sweet (unlike the posts here that say it tastes like mud). Though there was a lot of small bones. 

received_10154355450900806.jpeg

received_10154356112625806.jpeg

Europeans love em. The owners of the wollondilly river station swear by them too. Caught my first carp there and gave it to them since I wasn't keen. Worth noting that the Wollondilly is a sandy/rocky river so very clean, not sure if the same applies to the Wingecarribee too. 

Good haul & first post. Welcome to the forums.

Welcome to Fishraider omnimaqq. I must admit to being quite interested in your report. Carp are bottom feeders and affected by the nature of the bottom of waterways which they suck up. Hence many taste very muddy whilst others don't. Well done on your successful research and subsequent application of learned information. They are great fun to catch, especially on fairly light tackle. Cheers, BN

4 hours ago, jdanger said:

Europeans love em. The owners of the wollondilly river station swear by them too. Caught my first carp there and gave it to them since I wasn't keen. Worth noting that the Wollondilly is a sandy/rocky river so very clean, not sure if the same applies to the Wingecarribee too. 

Good haul & first post. Welcome to the forums.

Thank you! I'm not sure about Wingecarribee either but apparently Berrima has annual carp fishing competitions and cook them up on the BBQ so I assumed it was ok. I feel fine today so far so that's a good sign?

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Welcome to Fishraider omnimaqq. I must admit to being quite interested in your report. Carp are bottom feeders and affected by the nature of the bottom of waterways which they suck up. Hence many taste very muddy whilst others don't. Well done on your successful research and subsequent application of learned information. They are great fun to catch, especially on fairly light tackle. Cheers, BN

The river we were at was definitely very muddy looking. Couldn't see the bottom at all. I suspect the size of the carp also indicates it hasn't been there for long which means less of a muddy taste. 

All thanks to this forum :) next up squidding

Those don't look like carp to me - either body shape or the red fins. They look like roach or rudd. 

On the other hand they do seem to have barbels.

not sure either way

ps. Many years ago in NZ we caught some fish we thought were carp and took them home and ate them. We learnt later they were goldfish. Lots of small bones.

photo of Rudd attached

IMG_1382.JPG

19 minutes ago, Volitan said:

Those don't look like carp to me - either body shape or the red fins. They look like roach or rudd. 

On the other hand they do seem to have barbels.

not sure either way

ps. Many years ago in NZ we caught some fish we thought were carp and took them home and ate them. We learnt later they were goldfish. Lots of small bones.

photo of Rudd attached

IMG_1382.JPG

OK now I'm not sure what I caught... The colour looks like Rudd but the body looks silver. 

mmexport1495963513697.jpg

Yep, I think the little whiskers (barbels) are found on carp and not roach/Rudd.

dorsal fin looks more carp-like too.

i'm not sure either - the body shape just seems wrong, and the red fins ...

are there any other Ciprinid species out there in Aus?

Edited by Volitan

2 hours ago, ARC H said:

cant believe they tasted nice have caught them but never tasted one as i wasnt  to keen by what if heard

cheers

Neither was I from the reports I've seen. Maybe it was the specific cross breed of carp or the river, but tasted very sweet almost sugar like. Heaps of spike though so takes a while to get through. 

1 minute ago, omnimaqq said:

Neither was I from the reports I've seen. Maybe it was the specific cross breed of carp or the river, but tasted very sweet almost sugar like. Heaps of spike though so takes a while to get through. 

yeah ok good onya for trying 

cheers ARC H

I know this was nearly a week ago but...  

Thats really cool to see some clean eating "common carp" caught, but they are still a noxious pest.  The silver with reddish fins is what we called "common" carp, and were pretty rare in the western rivers compares to the dirty great euro and mirror carp (damn they are ugly looking things).

Here's a page with pic's from QLD DPI with s similar looking image  https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/pest-fish/noxious-fish/carp

If these are the same species as the big yellow and black euros we get out west, then they must be staying alot smaller and cleaner in the eastern rocky rivers.

Typical euro's from an old article  http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/carp-the-australian-story

Exactly what Beejay says! They are Carp. This species comes in many forms from light silvery through golden to black. Their fins can be very pale through to bright red and golden, too. The distinctive feature is the barbels which they use to feel out food as they "vacuum the bottom". BN