Hey guys,

I was just wondering what rods everyone could recommend for squid underneath $150. Preferably around a 3-6kg weight rating and a cast weight of around 25g as it will be used for other species as well (but mostly squid).

all recommendations appreciated.

• 4 months later...
On 13/06/2017 at 11:00 PM, Jocler said:

I would have a look at the Majorcraft Solpara range of egi rods. They would be a good start.

Secondly, do you get many squid down Eden way?

J

Sorry for taking so long to reply, yes we do get a fair few smallish squid landbased here during the autumn through to early winter then again in late spring and early summer but nothing huge unless you go at the merimbula wharf

14 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Egi rods seem like a bit of a con to me- any light spin stick does the job, just use "light" hands

Sort of, i dont own any “egi rods” but i do chase calamari alot.

all my squidding is done from the boat so im fine with my 7foot plastics rod 6-10lb.

however if i was landbased i would consider getting one of the egi rods due to its length.

main thing for me though above all else is to get a rod that has a really fast action (to make the jig dart properly) i like side to side jigs the best, harimitsu sumizoku range is my favourites and has Paddy says use light hands and fine drags.

i use fast rods with braided line, long leaders, light hands and fine drags.

works well.

Edited by Hooked-Up

I've done a fair bit of squidding and bought a purpose built rod for the task.  Like most fishing people have different ideas of what works.  A soft action squid rod is different from your blackfish rod.  Mine casts a jig very well and the action of the jig is good based on my take home numbers lol.  Since we are generally hooking squid in the tentacles they are soft.  A big squid though strong is not a fish and at least for me the squid rod handles those much better and does not rip off as many tentacles. The Japanese take egging to an art form and predominantly they use purpose built egging rods.  In Australia it wasn't all that long ago that squid were only thought of as bait, not a target species.   Like any fishing you can catch a lot on a general purpose rod and reel, but if you to maximize your target species catch you get purpose built gear.

On 13/06/2017 at 5:56 PM, lachie1325 said:

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what rods everyone could recommend for squid underneath $150. Preferably around a 3-6kg weight rating and a cast weight of around 25g as it will be used for other species as well (but mostly squid).

all recommendations appreciated.

I don’t bother with a dedicated squid rod. Using light hands to soak the squids lunges is the most important thing regardless of what rod you have. 

Seeing you said it will be used for other species as well then I definitely don’t recommend a “squid rod”.

I use a 7’6 Nitro and it is a very versatile rod. Out of your price range though. 

I use a dedicated squid rod. As i am land based. I found a having an 8’6” rod better for casting out further and also you dont find many 3-6kg flatty rods as parobolic as dedicated squid rods and with 2-4kg rods i found the lure rating too low as i use 3.5 squid jigs that weigh around the 20g mark

that justifies my reason for a dedicated squid rod

42 minutes ago, xerotao said:

I use a dedicated squid rod. As i am land based. I found a having an 8’6” rod better for casting out further and also you dont find many 3-6kg flatty rods as parobolic as dedicated squid rods and with 2-4kg rods i found the lure rating too low as i use 3.5 squid jigs that weigh around the 20g mark

that justifies my reason for a dedicated squid rod

Sounds justified to me!

my mate uses one that ive played with, it LAUNCHES the bigger jigs great.

i think its great for landbased casting and getting action into the jig but just Love the fight on my 2-4kg.

saying that its only one particular light rod i like to use, others are just too sloppy and slow to get a good cast and jigging action.

mainly use 3.0 jigs and it loves it (im sacraficing the cast distance, your sacraficing the fight)

landbased id be doing the same as you for sure.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:35 AM, PaddyT said:

Egi rods seem like a bit of a con to me- any light spin stick does the job, just use "light" hands

Yep, for squid a reel with very smooth drag and small increments to the setting at lower drag levels is far more important than the rod its sitting on.

For me these days, get a shimano sonic pro for under $50 and you've got a great little rod for squiding. You should be able to get one with a sienna real for about $60. I use these as my light weight set up for fun on pretty much everything from squid to dolphin fish. Great set ups and who cares if you eventually break it or such at that price. Just silly how good some of the cheaper gear is now.

Cheers

Rich

3 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Yep, for squid a reel with very smooth drag and small increments to the setting at lower drag levels is far more important than the rod its sitting on.

Smooth drag for sure.

I use 3.5 size jigs most often and the drag has to be fairly tight to work the jigs properly in the 4-5m deep water I fish. What I think is important is as soon I feel I have hooked on I immediately back the drag right off to almost nothing. Doing that and being light handed with the rod once hooked up is the most important in my eyes. 

Also, you need a stiff enough rod to punch out a good cast and work the jig. Soft tip and floppy rods may cushion a squids lunge but no good for everything else.