Urangan Pier & Hervey Bay

sam bros

Hi Raiders,

I will be up that way for 2 days, really excited to be fishing in qld for the first time. I'll have one full day for fishing and I really dont want to waste it. 

I dont know how realistic it is for mid winter but I want to target GT and Mackerel. Just wanted to know any info or advice on how to fish these areas.

I will be landbased but may have access to a 4.5m runabout (I wouldn't venture out too far)

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks

If the wind stays away the pier is good fishing, very busy when the fish are there and standing room only even in winter.

Good luck with the wind, only one day will not give you much of an envelope for good weather.

Frank

my sister lives near there and I fish the jetty every time I go up..july is not much chop for mackies and such..but if you want a feed take cranka crabs or equivalent and fish off the end..sink to bottom and work extra SSLLOOWW.across the bottom..last time there.i cleaned up..in boat winter whiting are the go..red spots.easy to catch just look for the flotillas of boats.haha...if you get up the rivers there are large threadfin on lures trolling deep divers..rick

Rick is right the threadfin are a much better fish all round than the Barra, better fight they will jump if you hold the rod up high ( if that's what you like ) and in my opinion much better on the plate, just don't over cook them.

Frank