Float fishing for tailor

arthur06

Hey guys, just wondering how to catch tailor in the estuary with a float as thats where I have seen they like to hang out. I do have access to live and fresh caught yakkas caught on location plus frozen salted pillies. Is it better to use gangs or circles/suicides? The tailor like to rip up the yellowtail but I'm but looking for a second opinion.

Thanks fellas

Circles dont work as well on "slash and grab " merchants like tailor , strips of yakka or pillie fillets under a small bobby cork work fine-gang of two light gauge hooks and a nice strip bait. Takes me back to my teen years when the only place my parents would drive to was Balmoral and I caught thousands off the "island" doing just that-bloody long time ago

• Like 1

PaddyT nailed the float setup for tailor.

An alternative is to set up a burley trail of whatever you're using as bait (cubes of yakkas or pillies are good) and throw out yakka fillets or whole pilchards on ganged hooks, unweighted. 

Cheers,

Wellzy

Ok thanks guys, strip baits, gangs and two hook rigs are definately options. But a two hook rig would be prone to cut offs from tailor right? I think gangs are the way to go. Thanks guys for your help.

If you are looking at other options other than bait fishing, you can try a metal lure. You wont need to catch bait or setup bait on hook. Last dozen Taylors I got was with a metal lure, haven't caught anything else metals as I've only been using them for a few months. 

Guest Guest123456789

IMO an unweighted pillie on a 4 hook gang, very slowly retrieved on dusk or just after sundown is the way to get your bag limit. The 4th hook as a stinger on a small pillie is ok. A green glow stick 1 metre from the hook on the trace is awesome! Nothing better than seeing your glow stick flying towards you then bang! Hook set. It's good also as you can vary your depth, tailor often hold near the surface but sometimes they're under the bait.

personally I hate dicking around with floats unless its love baiting or fishing for pigs

Guest Guest123456789
5 hours ago, arthur06 said:

Ok thanks guys, strip baits, gangs and two hook rigs are definately options. But a two hook rig would be prone to cut offs from tailor right? I think gangs are the way to go. Thanks guys for your help.

30lbs trace no worries 

• 1 month later...