Bellambi

recurve

Launched Wednesday at 5.30am and headed off to spot x. Was a very pleasant morning and was cold but not too cold. Things started very slow and I was worried. However as usually is the case things came in spits and starts. First up came the biggest Pike I have ever seen, and then in came a Barracuda....Ohhh Nooo!!! However after that I caught a 50cm Snapper and then one after the other they came on board. Largest was 58cm on 10lb gear. Screaming reels and racing hearts, great fun. 

In total we brought 9 snapper aboard. We have a rule that if it needs to be measured it goes back and none needed to be measured which was nice. 

Had a very pleasant session before work and was nice to only catch 11 fish of which 9 were snapper. I hear people are catching snapper in 30m of water at the moment, however we were in only 10m. So not sure where your best trying. I think success depends on your approach. A boat launched the same time as us and came back just after we did, they were fishing very close to us and got nothing so they claimed it was sh*t. They were packing pretty heavy gear. I think that if you go shallow you need to have really light gear and be able to present your baits or lures as naturally as possible, especially as the water is so clear at the moment. Shallow water and light gear does raise the risks of losing good fish but you would not be in with a chance if you didn't go light. If your fishing with broomsticks then I think your best going deeper or you will no doubt claim that the fishing is Sh*t and you would be wrong. It's just getting started. 

I'm going to have a go tomorrow as well and will be going shallow again but in a new spot. Will update if I land another good red. 

20170705_083006.jpg

very nice haul of snapper! me and my dad have been down to bellambi atleast 5 trips now and have only managed to catch a single snapper ... proving to be extremely hard finding where snapper congregate 

I went out but was overwhelmed by Baracuda. I landed three Snapper between 37 and 40cm. I attempted to foil the Cuda by putting a huge garfish on a strayline/bait runner and drift it out. Instead I had a big run and I thought i was on, turned out to be a monster squid which I landed! How good was that! Normally Squid avoid getting hooked. The next two attempts at stray lining saw me bitten off which was too much for me to take. i wrapped it up after that. 

Got very at about 8.30am. Weather forecasters don't seem to be on the ball this week.

Your quite right. Couta

Cape Snoek
Fish
Thyrsites atun, the snoek, is a long, thin species of snake mackerel found in the seas of the Southern Hemisphere. This fish can reach a length of 200 centimetres SL though most do not exceed 75 centimetres SL.Wikipedia

Congratulations on your catch recurve. What were you using for bait. Barracouta and pike make excellent bait for snapper. I've caught my biggest snapper on a piece of barracouta flesh. 

On 6 July 2017 at 9:14 PM, recurve said:

I think that if you go shallow you need to have really light gear and be able to present your baits or lures as naturally as possible, especially as the water is so clear at the moment.

Couldn't agree more Recurve!

Well done on your catch in tricky conditions. Calm seas are pleasant for the fisherman but often don't produce fish, especially with the water being gin clear.

Fil