Sydney bull shark fishing spots

Flattiefisher

sharking normally involves burleying heavy..i seem to recall hearing its illegal in estuaries.after hearing all the controversy in lake Macquarie with idiots targeting bulls and hammers then just dumping them..anyone know the legalities ????..rick

I'm not aware of any restrictions on fishing for them in harbours/estuaries....

I don't think there is any way you can choose a "small bull shark" fishing place over any other size bull shark fishing place.... They choose not you! There are loads of bulls in the harbour but don't hear of that many being caught even as bycatch. I've never heard of anyone going out intentionally to catch bulls - out of interest why do you want to do that?

Spend enough time fishing the surf beaches you will get plenty of bronze whalers, dusky whalers, gummies, rays, nurses, wobbies etc. might even come across a bull. I always target jew off the beach at night and get loads of sharks as bycatch, have landed up to 7ft nurse (protected species) and bronzies/duskies to 5ft (they go much harder).

If you do hook one, just take care when you are landing them and releasing - could easily lose a few fingers or end up with some arterial bleeding if you don't get it right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sydney is a seasonal place for bullies, only the large male and females migrate from Queensland and northern NSW to hunt. The bull sharks range from around 2.1 to 3.4 metres. there is no such thing as a small bull shark in Sydney. If you want small sharks head out towards the heads more and set lines targeting small bronze whalers, dusky sharks and other small species. just check the rules for the species your catch before you butcher one.

Good Luck

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

I have heard of guys targeting sharks at Gladesville / Huters Hill near Banjo Patersons.

youTube had a guy catching and eating the small bull sharks from a river in QLD.

I live in Drummoyne door step the Parramatta River there has been stories of them taking fisherman catchers in the river

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 10:48 PM, kingie chaser said:

Way upstream in the fresh is my guess where you would find small juvenile bulls, that's the nursery!

Once watched a doco on bulls in the Brisbane river, they were catching juvenile bulls 100kms upstream.

There are no juveniles in Sydney. 2.1 is minimum size. Read Research papers: Bull shark tagging Sydney harbour. DR Amy Smoothy.

13 hours ago, James Clain said:

There are no juveniles in Sydney. 2.1 is minimum size. Read Research papers: Bull shark tagging Sydney harbour. DR Amy Smoothy.

Met her on the water while she was tagging & getting information from the under water monitors, she told me there where quite a few in the system & one had traveled way up the parramatta river & back to Bradley’s head & had passed the the balls head monitor (where I was chatting to her) 3 times that day. And as you mentioned no juveniles

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

according to some researchers big female bull sharks give birth in the upper reach,s of rivers as the pups have no tolerance for salt water the pups slowly make their way down stream whilst building up tolerance to salt we have seen big bulls up in chipping Norton lake acting strange and have a feeling these are females having or just had pups

• 1 month later...