Alvey Reels closing down (NOT)

mrsswordfisherman

On 20/07/2017 at 7:21 PM, Volitan said:

Such a shame.

i do note though that they haven't taken the usual route of outsourcing the manufacturing to China and keeping just the head office,  marketing and distribution functions here in Aus. This indicates the primary problem is the design - people just don't want sidecasts outside of a few diehards and there is no easy path from manufacturing sidecasts to any other reel style.

still a shame. I feel like going out and buying one though I guess it's a bit late now.

Alvey blackfish reels are made in china

On 21/07/2017 at 4:48 PM, Captain Spanner said:

I have been thinking of getting one to add to my kit, specifically for jewies off the beach, rocks and break walls. Can people please offer opinions on the best models please. Probably to be fished with 40lb tortue or up to 50lb. I would prefer one with drag but am open to suggestions.

Opinons on fixed handles vs spindle handles and stainless plate vs graphite. Has anyone had any experience with the Elite range,

Does the anodised metal ding on the rocks and cause sharp bits for line to catch, scuff on?

Also can someone please tell me if the pink 600B XLTP reel has a drag system or just a tension knob that adjusts the tension both winding in and drag out.

Thanks guys

650CS is what you are looking for stainless backplate. 

IMG_0362.JPG

On 7/21/2017 at 4:48 PM, Captain Spanner said:

I have been thinking of getting one to add to my kit, specifically for jewies off the beach, rocks and break walls. Can people please offer opinions on the best models please. Probably to be fished with 40lb tortue or up to 50lb. I would prefer one with drag but am open to suggestions.

Opinons on fixed handles vs spindle handles and stainless plate vs graphite. Has anyone had any experience with the Elite range,

Does the anodised metal ding on the rocks and cause sharp bits for line to catch, scuff on?

Also can someone please tell me if the pink 600B XLTP reel has a drag system or just a tension knob that adjusts the tension both winding in and drag out.

Thanks guys

Captain, have a look here:

http://alvey.com.au/products/600bxltp/

40/50lb might be too heavy fo Alveys.

non-drag/direct wind models: fixed handles is the only option.

drag models : fixed handles and non-fixed(spindle?) handles. Fixed handles allowe to override the drag if required and/or dead lift the heavy fish on rocks. So, these are more popular among rockfishers. Non-fixed handles helps  when the fish strikes hard while you wind the line. I prefer non-fixed handles.

Stainless plate design is stronger however heavier, while its fish alert and drag switch are more heavy-duty design. Graphite backplate is lighter however it is quite strong as well . There is a youtube video showing ute driving over  Alveys graphite backplate without any damage. I prefer graphite backplate for larger diameter reels e.g. 650 and metal for smaller reels e.g 500 as large Alvey reels are quite heavy.

There are also models with non-fixed handles with different handle distance which allow to retrieve the line with different speeds (+30% for smaller handle) however the line tends to 'catch' that handle plate if there is some twist and not enough tension on the line.

In my opinion Elite series are more designed for collectors rather than every-day use. They are expensive, heavy and spools are made in China (which does not make collectors happy).

If you are new to Alvey fishing  - make sure you understand the common line twist issue and how to deal with it (e.g. quality swivel(s), and have an idea how to spool the reel corectly with line as spool might crack under too much pressure.  And don't use braid on Alvey (Kiwi yakkers have different  opinion) if you value your fingers.

Also, It is much easier to cast/use Alvey reels with rods designed for Alvey reels. These rods have low reel mount , oversized  first guide in the middle of the rod and sometimes an open runner.

Thanks Cossie and savit. I'll take that into account. Do you know how applicable the rapid retrieve model would be to bait fishing for jewies? Or can the standard model wind fast enough when they run at you for the sake of $30 and simplicity. I am assuming I'll get at least 400m of 40lb on the 650 and not need a 700

I am really saddened to hear of this news. I had to double check on Google to make sure no one here was pulling my chain on this one.

That really sucks. I guess when the reels are out of production, the rods with the low mount will be soon too. Better get myself a nice beach rod and stock up on a few of the basic reel models before they disappear forever. :(

Currently I have a 6 inch beach reel and the blackfish reel. I have thrashed the blackie reel but haven't had much use out of the beach reel as of yet.

Cheers for the info here too guys, always helpful.

They (Alvey) are still exploring the options per their recent  FB post, so it is not the dead end yet.

I visited Belrose's a shop last weekend and many Alvey models were actually sold out. If Alvey do find the solution, ebay and gumtree may be flooded with unused reels a few months later.

4 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

Thanks Cossie and savit. I'll take that into account. Do you know how applicable the rapid retrieve model would be to bait fishing for jewies? Or can the standard model wind fast enough when they run at you for the sake of $30 and simplicity. I am assuming I'll get at least 400m of 40lb on the 650 and not need a 700

This is just my opinion (there are plenty of fishos with decades of  alvey fishing experience on the forum) : I presume you would target jewies at night, for that reason I would suggest simple metal 650C5 or a similar size a bit lighter graphite backplate reel. The chance that line  will be caught in rapid retrieve handles at night will be higher than usual  e.g when no enough tension on the line and some twist on the line and darkness. I love rapid retrieve reels for day time beach/rock fishing, though I usually use 'faster' handle just to bring the rig quickly back rather than to fight a fish.

Alvey rates 650m/9kg for 650 reel size. if  you really need so much heavy 40lb line  - consider 651C5 shark reel which has wider spool.     

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Short said:

No worries I get temporary amnesia after I buy fishing gear. Most prevalent around the Mrs. Sometimes I even say others have bought it.

Strange phenomenon.

The best story I've heard is buying some expensive gear and getting the shop to phone up when the Mrs is home saying you have won the lucky door prize come and collect it.

1 hour ago, Welster said:

The best story I've heard is buying some expensive gear and getting the shop to phone up when the Mrs is home saying you have won the lucky door prize come and collect it.

Thats Frank from busted tackle

On 22/07/2017 at 5:02 PM, cossie said:

650CS is what you are looking for stainless backplate. 

IMG_0362.JPG

Thanks Cossie and Savit, I ended up speaking with Alvey and I ended up ordering the 700C5 Rapid Retrieve as some of the spots i fish require a quick retrieve for the last bit to avoid snags at your feet. The only different parts are the drag star and the double paddle handle. I also ordered some smaller models for my and my mates' little people so it doesn't matter as much when they are inevitably used as shovels and swords during the learn to beach fish years.

On Tuesday, August 08, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Captain Spanner said:

Thanks Cossie and Savit, I ended up speaking with Alvey and I ended up ordering the 700C5 Rapid Retrieve as some of the spots i fish require a quick retrieve for the last bit to avoid snags at your feet. The only different parts are the drag star and the double paddle handle. I also ordered some smaller models for my and my mates' little people so it doesn't matter as much when they are inevitably used as shovels and swords during the learn to beach fish years.

Congrats with purchase.  Do you have already rod for it? If you find 700c5 a bit slow, have a look at 820bcv. ;)

My old Alvey 500 A1 had it as long as I can remember and works 100% perfect.

Sad to see them go.I fished for many years with this reel up until 6 months ago and updated to a new Alvey Blackfish reel.  :au:

IMG_20170812_154914_edited.jpg

IMG_20170812_154927 1_edited.jpg

IMG_20170812_154935_edited.jpg

Edited by DMG