Help with new to me 4.2 tinny purchase

Sea Ranger

Gday all

I have $9000 cash and  permission from the Mrs to buy a 4 - 5m fishing boat.

I fish mainly with my 16yo son (very capable) and sometimes would like the Mrs to come along too.

I fish the Hacking and Hawksbury mostly around Sydney.  Bread and butter species and some crabbing.

I'm currently looking at a

2017 Stacer Rampage 429 with 2017 Suzuki DT30  trailer NEW NEW NEW but nothing else $9k

2015 Savage Big Daddy with Etec 25hp power tilt trim,electric start 1 year warranty left. Bimini and lights but does not have all the safety gear.  Allegedly very low hours.   The boat looks like new. On consignment at a dealer $9k

2012 Brooker 410 Fisherman with 2017 Honda BF30 electric start power tilt trim 20hrs just serviced 6.5 years warranty.  sounder, bimini, rod holders, anchor etc  dealer owned (I think) $9k

2012 Anglapro 424 spec with 2012 Suzuki DT30 pull start with service records (yet to see) bimini, radio fm/am cd, rod holders, lights, sounder allegedly under 50hrs use.  looks good visually Private seller $8K

All of these are asking $9k give or take 10 dollars except the Anglapro which is at $8k   I am having a real hard time picking one to focus on more than another.  

The new rampage with nothing else has a 3mm floor and 1.6mm sides which seems kinda weak.

The Big Daddy and Anglapro both have 3mm floors, topsides, and transoms. and 100/120kgs heavier in dry weight than the Brooker

The Brooker has 3mm bottoms and 2mm sides I think.  I called Brooker and they changed to the beefier sides sometime in the mid 00's

I've all but wrote off the Stacer due to the thin topsides and no gear.

Motor wise I lean to and fro on the Honda vrs Evinrude,,  Though the DT30 has been around forever and simplistic/reliable

When except for the private seller we are talking the same amount of money (without bargaining yet) do any of these hulls or motors stand out or fall down?

I have googled to death just about everything and driven my poor friends mad with asking questions so well I thought I would ask here too lol

Anything major I'm missing?

Cheers Bear

With a big purchase like this, is easy to start second guessing yourself.

Maybe consider looking at the boat with the newest motor on the best trailer. These are the bits

that will cause you the most grief if they don't work so well. The other thing to consider is getting

the engine serviced. What does the shop that you'll be taking it to specialize in.I'm guessing that

with all the electronics in engines these days, that very few people service their own, so find some one you like. Maybe the other thing to consider is the longest boat. The Savage has an ETEC, and given its age, its probably not been serviced yet. They go three years or 300 hours for the first service and dealer can plug in and tell you exactly how long its been.

I like my ETEC so take that last bit with a bit of salt, I have a 5m FG boat. I like my dealer, and I don't service my outboard

Maybe one final thing, to look at how each hull rides, check out youtube, you'll probably a few people with their boats on it.

good luck

Edited by antonywardle

My vote- and thats without having looked at the boats would be the Brooker- you will love having electric start and trim and it sounds like a package ready to rock and roll. The motor will last forever=and without wanting to start a debate I wouldnt go near an ETEC with only 1 yr warranty left- especially if the previous owner has followed Evinrudes 300hr first service nonsense. Just check the trailer for excessive rust and get someone who is experienced to have a look at the trailer set up(90 % of hull cracks are caused by poor trailer set ups). On purchase replace the wheel bearings straight away - trust me on this- and youll be ready to go. As for the hull thickness- these are all small tinnies, they will flex and bounce in chop, dont drive them too hard and they will last just about forever

Guest Guest123456789

Have you considered the stacer 399 proline? 

http://www.stacer.com.au/Aluminium-Boat-Range1/399_Proline

You should be able to pick it up new with a Suzuki DT30 electric start for less than 9k. I think it's better than the rampage because the hull is 40% lighter (more speed).

I wouldn't worry about the strength of the hull because they come with 3 year warranty new anyway. Another reason I'd opt for new from a dealer vs used privately.

i own the DT30 electric on the rampage and the motor is awesome but a little underpowered for the size of the boat. On the proline it would fly along. I'll be repowering with a 40hp 4 stroke in a few years time. The other benefit of the proline is you can get a factory bow mount bracket (for when you want to add an electric motor later on). 

The rampage hull is VERY strong I've taken it out broken bay in 4 metre swell with lots of weight and put it through its paces (I wanted to really test it out while still under warranty). Bear in mind I have the extended sides decks (which cost $600) and these add significant strength to the hull. If budget allows get the extended side decks.

The dealers should let you test drive, you should definitely take this option up IMO.

8 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Have you considered the stacer 399

I have mate but I currently fish out of a 2.4 tender.  My son and I just fit lol.   I'm looking for as much space and stability as possible and not worried so much about speed. Anything faster than 2knots will be better than what we have lol. Though at least 10 knots would be good.

I bought my boat from the trailer boat show at Homebush Olympic park. It's normally in September and has some great deals.

it was more suited to my budget that the Sydney Boat Show.

Edit: just read the Trailer Boat Show is not on in 2017. Due to the Syd Boat show moving back to Darling Harbour.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Guest Guest123456789
14 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

I have mate but I currently fish out of a 2.4 tender.  My son and I just fit lol.   I'm looking for as much space and stability as possible and not worried so much about speed. Anything faster than 2knots will be better than what we have lol. Though at least 10 knots would be good.

The rampage with the Suzuki 30 does 20 knots WOT in good conditions so a lot quicker than currently in the tender. Good luck with the search.

On 7/30/2017 at 10:03 AM, PaddyT said:

without wanting to start a debate I wouldnt go near an ETEC with only 1 yr warranty left- especially if the previous owner has followed Evinrudes 300hr first service nonsense. 

Just curious why you think following manufactures recommendation is nonsense? You still have to put

the motor on the muffs after use.

The rest of your suggestions seemed pretty good apart from that

cheers

Edited by antonywardle

Will be my last comment on that Anthony-dont want to stir the pot- but whilst im sure that ETECs are good engines- leaving your gearcase oil in for 300hrs doesnt make sense to me- nor your impeller- especially if it has intermittant use- engines might have come ahead in leaps and bounds but i dont see many changes in oils /plastics/rubbers etc- no way in the world would i trust my life offshore to an engine that was last serviced 299 hours ago

3 hours ago, sydney south said:

After having a tiller steer tinny and having some bad experiences. I will only ever go forward steer or side console.

I'm surprised kayakers don't get run over with dills in their tiller steer tinys with that blind spot they have when not trimmed properly.Especially the idiots in them in places like the hacking on a nice day with their tinys noses way up in the air.

• 1 month later...

Did you look at the Big Daddy with the 25 etec??

I had an etec on my previous boat and it was sensational. But 25HP on the 4.2 hull.

Maybe a little underpowered (??)

I think I'll wander up to the dealer and have a look. Wonder what I could negotiate it down to. Currently $9k

Regarding Etecs I think impellers are more durable these days. Also it would be all over the internet if they were failing in less than 300 hrs and I haven't seen any reports. Also why would the gearbox oil need changing in less than 300 hrs? How often do you change the oil in your cars diff or transmission? I think the main problem with gearboxes on outboard is if the seal is broken eg due to damage from fishing line. But this could happen at any time so by all means do a regular inspection, but this can be done yourself.

PS: some tinnies will perform a lot better with an Etec compare to a 4 stroke due to the weight issue and the difference in torque and power delivery. 

10 hours ago, fRuItCaKe said:

Did you look at the Big Daddy with the 25 etec??

I had an etec on my previous boat and it was sensational. But 25HP on the 4.2 hull.

Maybe a little underpowered (??)

I think I'll wander up to the dealer and have a look. Wonder what I could negotiate it down to. Currently $9k

I looked at the boat and tried to wheel and deal a bit but they were not keen.  In fact I gave up because I was not getting called back when I was interested in purchasing.  However that was a while ago now so perhaps they are more interested in selling now.

It is a 2015 model not 16 and does not have power tilt and trim as listed also per Savage the min hp is 30hp.

Specifications:  Big Daddy

Length maximum 4.27 m

Length of hull 4.27m

Beam 1.96m

Depth 0.89m

Length on trailer 5.40m

Height on trailer 1.50m

Bottom sides 3.00mm

Top Sides 3.00mm

Transom material 3.00mm

Transom shaft length L/S

Weight (boat only) 210kg

Min. HP 30hp

Max HP 40hp

Main motor weight 120kg

Number of people (basic): 5

Number of people (level): N/A

Edited by Noo2OzFish
add stuff

1 hour ago, fRuItCaKe said:

Thanks, I thought it was a bit dodgy. I'll leave that one then.

Not sure if it is Dodgy but you can get the new model with a new 30hp for under 9k so I don't know why anyone would want to pay 9k for one 2 years old that has been used.

Mate I sent you a PM with the details for the new one

Edited by Noo2OzFish
add bits

Get a new one . All under warranty, and most new motors are brilliant these days. I would pay a couple of hundred more and get electric start for sure. I have just ordered a quintrex busta 4.2 with a yam 40 fourstroke. Rampages are from the same factory ( telwater) and are a great boat but the millenium hull on the Busta is awesome .this will be my 3 rd boat from this factory. Never had any probs. Plate sided boats havr to be thicker than a pressed side due to the design . Eg. Look at anglapro topsides at 3 mm vs Busta at 1.6. Anglapro is 70 kg heavier yet not necessarily stronger. Motor has to push more weight then .