The estuary trifecta

GreasePit

G'day raiders,
Dusted up the last few days of my uni break with 3 trips over the course of a couple days targeting the 3 notable fish of the estuary. 

First day started off with some seriously windy conditions. After a fair few useless attempts, the wind played ball and dropped off half an hour after the tide change. Managed an 80cm jew in that small window. 
Caught on a 5 inch paddle tail.

20623344_10209821280757684_1849419585_o.jpg20624468_10209821277717608_1904207293_n.jpg

20623419_10209821251596955_769414160_o.jpg

Second day, decided to whip out the snow gear and brave a rainy day of fishing (would much rather torrential rain than wind any day of the week).
Managed a nice 70cm flathead. 
Caught on a 130mm soft vibe.
20629006_10209821245956814_1412683921_o.jpg

20624199_10209821245356799_336718874_n (1).jpg20630096_10209821247916863_1964748531_o.jpg

After that bit of rain, the next day cleared up nicely. Went and had a flick around some structure for bream with some small blades.
Best for the day went 35 odd cm. Love those blue lips on them in winter.
20622984_10209821244436776_215889056_o.jpg20623268_10209821245196795_80524780_o.jpg

Couple of days well spent, all fish were caught and released.
I'll attach a video of the release of the jewy below.

P.S. Does anyone have any tips for taking solo pictures of fish? (held in hand, not just on the brag mat)
My methodology at the moment is to set my phone up on the perspex of my console, put it on video and hold the fish and move it around to make sure it gets in frame, only problem is the quality when i later take the screenshots. 

Cheers
-Chris

Edited by GreasePit

Well Chris you certainly didn't waste the last few days of your Uni break, did you? Have to admire your persistence and the results were certainly rewarding. Good that you released them all too, to grow a bit bigger.

The only suggestion which I could offer with your photography problem would be a camera with timer mounted in a suitable position for the pictures. It wouldn't be too difficult to do and the cameras are fairly inexpensive these days. Good luck with your studies mate. BN

I use a cheap selfie stick as an adjustable holder and lean it against something in the boat. 

You can get photo apps with adjustable timers so you can set it at something like 30 shots with 5 second intervals for example. Then you just pose and move around and later go back and choose what picture you like. 

13 hours ago, GreasePit said:

Does anyone have any tips for taking solo pictures of fish? (held in hand, not just on the brag mat)
My methodology at the moment is to set my phone up on the perspex of my console, put it on video and hold the fish and move it around to make sure it gets in frame, only problem is the quality when i later take the screenshots. 

I'm facing the same problem. It sounds like a stupid issue, but it's just nice to have a photo with me and the fish to remember... and maybe show off just a little bit.

Edited by Aardvarking

Another trick if your own an iphone is to plug in the earphone. You can use the volume button to snap your shot. If you're on an android, you can hold your hand up and a circle should appear to time a shot in about 2-3 seconds. Hand should be opened and the camera will pick up your hand image to do your shot.

Best you secure the phone on a mount though.

PS, I do the video thing too since my shots are far from phone but if I did closer shots would be as mentioned above.

On 8/4/2017 at 7:55 AM, big Neil said:

Well Chris you certainly didn't waste the last few days of your Uni break, did you? Have to admire your persistence and the results were certainly rewarding. Good that you released them all too, to grow a bit bigger.

The only suggestion which I could offer with your photography problem would be a camera with timer mounted in a suitable position for the pictures. It wouldn't be too difficult to do and the cameras are fairly inexpensive these days. Good luck with your studies mate. BN

Yeah always that last minute cram to feed the addiction.
I've actually got a waterproof digital camera lying around somewhere, might have to blow the dust off it.

On 8/4/2017 at 9:10 AM, Rah said:

Some great fish there mate. 

Got to make the most of uni breaks. :)

Cheers

Rah

100%
The fish always seem to fire on the back end of it too, just my luck eh.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:38 AM, nutsaboutfishing said:

You sure know how to make a guy jealous. Congratulations on the fine catches and well done on the persistence. With the selfies, if  you've got an iphone there's an app called Gocam i think would help.

cheers

richard

Cheers mate, i'll check it out.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:44 AM, sam bros said:

Nice work mate 

Some impressive catches

which estuary were you fishing?

The old humble Hawkesbury.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:49 AM, Wellzy94 said:

Some cracker fish mate, well done!

Cheers,

Wellzy

Cheers Wellzy

On 8/4/2017 at 11:12 AM, Roylo said:

I use a cheap selfie stick as an adjustable holder and lean it against something in the boat. 

You can get photo apps with adjustable timers so you can set it at something like 30 shots with 5 second intervals for example. Then you just pose and move around and later go back and choose what picture you like. 

Yeah that might be the go, i'll see if i can find an app which maybe takes them every couple of seconds until stopped. 
Cheers mate

On 8/4/2017 at 1:27 PM, Aardvarking said:

I'm facing the same problem. It sounds like a stupid issue, but it's just nice to have a photo with me and the fish to remember... and maybe show off just a little bit.

Definitely second you on that last bit.

On 8/4/2017 at 3:35 PM, Rob81 said:

Another trick if your own an iphone is to plug in the earphone. You can use the volume button to snap your shot. If you're on an android, you can hold your hand up and a circle should appear to time a shot in about 2-3 seconds. Hand should be opened and the camera will pick up your hand image to do your shot.

Best you secure the phone on a mount though.

PS, I do the video thing too since my shots are far from phone but if I did closer shots would be as mentioned above.

Not a bad tip, might have to use the toe to nab the pics... fish held in one hand probably aren't worth a pic ;) 

On 8/4/2017 at 4:24 PM, ARC H said:

What a good use of time bud

welldone

Cheers mate

21 hours ago, Regan said:

nice catch there greasepit

love the pics and video of the release,

you wouldnt even know you took the pics yourself

Cheers regan

21 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Cracking Trifecta....which system if you don't mind me asking:)

The hawkesbury mate.

2 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

How big is that jig head mate? Definately invest in a tripod for your phone they are reasonably priced. Good to mix it up with your photos 

IMG_2850.JPG

1/2 oz 

Would usually use 1/4 or 3/8th but upsized so I could keep contact with the lure with all the wind about.

Looks like we caught two siblings mate??

34 minutes ago, GreasePit said:

1/2 oz 

Would usually use 1/4 or 3/8th but upsized so I could keep contact with the lure with all the wind about.

Looks like we caught two siblings mate??

Yeah that wind was horrible all late last week/ weekend you did well to get one. Wind makes it very difficult. I fish the Hawksbury every now and then what boat are you in mate?

3 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Yeah that wind was horrible all late last week/ weekend you did well to get one. Wind makes it very difficult. I fish the Hawksbury every now and then what boat are you in mate?

429 stacer nomad mate