Overnight anchoring with 2 anchors

back cruncher

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

lay your anchor out and hang back..go back 15/20 mtrs further drop second anchor and move back forward so you are sitting between the two...simple..rick

Back when I was a young fella, I used to fish with an old "gun" fisherman in the Georges for bream and jewies and also for blackfish at Laurieton. He use to rig both his anchors on one long rope that ran under the thwarts. We would anchor across current by lowering the stern anchor first, set it, motoring up and across current just the right way to lower the bow anchor, then setting that and pulling back on the rope to centre the boat between the two anchors. We always got perfect positioning and we could fish 2 or 3 lines each without tangles. I used the same system on my first boat, a punt. It was easy to anchor solo. Not so easy in a bigger boat where you can't run one long line under the thwarts. ? I imagine I could jerry rig a system with some type of clamp on rings on the rails of my Outlaw but I rarely fish this way nowadays.

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Back when I was a young fella, I used to fish with an old "gun" fisherman in the Georges for bream and jewies and also for blackfish at Laurieton. He use to rig both his anchors on one long rope that ran under the thwarts. We would anchor across current by lowering the stern anchor first, set it, motoring up and across current just the right way to lower the bow anchor, then setting that and pulling back on the rope to centre the boat between the two anchors. We always got perfect positioning and we could fish 2 or 3 lines each without tangles. I used the same system on my first boat, a punt. It was easy to anchor solo. Not so easy in a bigger boat where you can't run one long line under the thwarts. ? I imagine I could jerry rig a system with some type of clamp on rings on the rails of my Outlaw but I rarely fish this way nowadays.

I would of thought just bridle anchoring your boat would achieve the same thing if you want to fish cross current.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

I would of thought just bridle anchoring your boat would achieve the same thing if you want to fish cross current.

Yes, bridle anchoring was one of the options I was exploring in the back of my mind. The beauty of the "one long rope under the thwarts", though, was that, when the tide changed, we just turned around on the thwarts and fished the other side of the boat. It was perfect for feeding our baits down current on long traces before sending the pickers doom sinkers down the line. We'd also use the same anchoring technique when fishing close to a bank for blackfish - place one anchor on the rocky shore, then motor or row out across current, drop the other anchor, then pull back on the rope until the position was right and adjust as required as the tide rose or fell. These days, I mostly fish solo, so a little bit of movement is not a great concern and I hardly ever anchor anyway (no crew to pull it up!) - I use spot lock on the Minn Kota. ?

Edited by Berleyguts

8 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Yes, bridle anchoring was one of the options I was exploring in the back of my mind. The beauty of the "one long rope under the thwarts", though, was that, when the tide changed, we just turned around on the thwarts and fished the other side of the boat. It was perfect for feeding our baits down current on long traces before sending the pickers doom sinkers down the line. We'd also use the same anchoring technique when fishing close to a bank for blackfish - place one anchor on the rocky shore, then motor or row out across current, drop the other anchor, then pull back on the rope until the position was right and adjust as required as the tide rose or fell. These days, I mostly fish solo, so a little bit of movement is not a great concern and I hardly ever anchor anyway (no crew to pull it up!) - I use spot lock on the Minn Kota. ?

Ok,fair enough.Those Minn Kota electrics have turned anchors into boat ornaments almost.

In regards to pulling up Anchors there's going to be a epidemic of overweight boaties.

I find it a great grip,forearm,bicep,shoulder and back excercise,not to mention the cardio I get from it.

I must be mentally insane as I look fwd to it.

I now know why they call me Popeye at work.

5 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Ok,fair enough.Those Minn Kota electrics have turned anchors into boat ornaments almost.

In regards to pulling up Anchors there's going to be a epidemic of overweight boaties.

I find it a great grip,forearm,bicep,shoulder and back excercise,not to mention the cardio I get from it.

?????

10 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Fabian YOU HAVE ISSUES

No one but YOU like the job of anchor man. LOL

JD

I find it funny how people avoid all kinds of things that require effort than rush off to the gym.  We have guys like that at work that go hard in the gym but can't lift anything useful on site.

I usually pull up the anchor on my boat too.   Nothing gets damaged and it's ready to go for the next drop.

12 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Hey Fabian,

I find  Minn Kota's with  the spot lock great for casting lures but not so crash hot for soaking baits.

The lock is not that accurate so the boats does move a fair amount particularly in a strong run or a reasonable breeze... 5 metres off the set spot is not unusual -- it always comes back to the same spot but it moves far enough of the spot that a set bait goes slack or gets pulled along until the motor re-positions the boat only to end up a slack line when the spot lock re-positions

Depending on the wind and current that can mean that the bow might end up anywhere in relation to the original position and you baits can be under the boat or crossed over.

That's my experience anyway.

Cheers

Jim

2 hours ago, JohnDory said:

Fabian YOU HAVE ISSUES

No one but YOU like the job of anchor man. LOL

JD

I'm being honest,it really doesn't bother me at all.I drive the boat,deploy and retrieve the anchor solo all the time without a second thought.Sometimes I do this 3,4 times when I go out.

2 hours ago, Welster said:

I find it funny how people avoid all kinds of things that require effort than rush off to the gym.  We have guys like that at work that go hard in the gym but can't lift anything useful on site.

I usually pull up the anchor on my boat too.   Nothing gets damaged and it's ready to go for the next drop.

I'm used to hard work mate.Some of these young blokes wouldn't know what it even means.I have my own home gym that I train with 4 times a week b4 work then go to work and lift,push,pull,carry for 8-12hr days 5-6days a week.Then do a heap of work at home.I enjoy it all even though I must admit I do Get a little sore and tired now I'm getting a bit older.

38 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

Hey Fabian,

I find  Minn Kota's with  the spot lock great for casting lures but not so crash hot for soaking baits.

The lock is not that accurate so the boats does move a fair amount particularly in a strong run or a reasonable breeze... 5 metres off the set spot is not unusual -- it always comes back to the same spot but it moves far enough of the spot that a set bait goes slack or gets pulled along until the motor re-positions the boat only to end up a slack line when the spot lock re-positions

Depending on the wind and current that can mean that the bow might end up anywhere in relation to the original position and you baits can be under the boat or crossed over.

That's my experience anyway.

Cheers

Jim

I heard that from people.I think everything has a use,I just don't need an electric as 1,I don't get out nearly enough,and 2 We like to either drift or anchor up with bait.

If we are lucky enough to catch a feed it's great.If not we always appreciate our day out.

Lifes to short to be sour I say.

Hi all...not to sure I could trust a min Kota while I slept at nite in the boat,or even if the battery would last long enough,lol....

rickmarlin,how do you go in a crowded bay with 2 anchors and a wind change arrives and other boats on one anchor rope ?..I know coal shaft bay gets crowded at times.i never stay in esmerelda.

coal shaft is basically shallow  so you don't need extremely long ropes out...I go in close drop large sand anchor just before the start of boulders then motor out twenty mtrs drop mooloolaba pik with heavy chain onto some decent looking rock and weed then pull back into the middle of both...even if wind swings during night you are sittin with both holding..i generally anchor well inside of larger boats that way if they are hanging off single rode they wont end up near me..coal shaft has heaps of room and also the next part of bay to the east is ok as well..rick

Edited by rickmarlin62
left out detail

Ive yet to have my sarca anchor drag, these anchors seem to hold on anything.

Anchoring overnight recently around Lady Musgrave as I camped onshore I had full confidence in the sarca. I did also have a reef pick out with 60m of rope  incase the sarca anchor rope chafed on reef or coral. 

Personally I never anchor from the back and never attempt to pull an anchor from the back either. If the front anchor was to break free the wind tide and wave action will be hitting you from behind just like putting the engine in reverse only you also have a downward pull from the anchor line. In calm conditions chances are this wouldn't be a problem but imagine if a few sharp chop waves started coming over the back while you were asleep in the cab.

this thread is about anchoring in a sheltered bay at broughton..ITS SHALLOW..ITS PROTECTED..TWO ANCHORS FRONT AN BACK IN MY MIND ARE COMPULSARY WHILE SLEEPING,, forget your spot lock forget hangin off one  really good anchor use two anchors and sleep peacefully...end of conversation for me..rick

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

this thread is about anchoring in a sheltered bay at broughton..ITS SHALLOW..ITS PROTECTED..TWO ANCHORS FRONT AN BACK IN MY MIND ARE COMPULSARY WHILE SLEEPING,, forget your spot lock forget hangin off one  really good anchor use two anchors and sleep peacefully...end of conversation for me..rick

I'm planning a trip to Broughton also, when I checked the parks and wildlife info they claim it can become quite exposed in certain conditions.

Having just returned from Lady Musgrave, even though we were in the protection of the lagoon the water does get quite choppy, we had to pull the pin early ahead of 35knt winds.

if noreaster blowing  use coalshaft..if southerly blowing use eastern corner of long beach on north west side of island..when you go in go right up into corner past the mooring bouy and you can put anchor on reef front and back..its shaped like a cove..rick