Daiwa Caldia B

lachie1325

Has anyone had any experience using the daiwa Caldia B 2000. Been looking at getting one for a while now and just wondering if anyone has one and has anything to say about them and wether they're worth getting or not

Edited by lachie1325

hey lachie,

I can't speak for current Caldias but I've got an older one, a 2010 model Caldia 2000, and it's been really good. And I believe Daiwa have got better at making magseal reels since then.

The only point of comparison I have for it are Sedonas - what I used for years before running up against their limitations - and a 2000 Certate.

As you might expect, the Caldia was a massive improve on Sedonas. Muuuuch nicer to use and much more durable. I've put mine through a pretty hard time. Multiple dunkings, some of them in saltwater, and a lot of kayak induced salt spray in the last 18months - all with, until recently no internal maintenance required at all!

Compared to the Certate - I can't tell the difference. Actually, I think I marginally prefer the Caldia because I like its clicker noise more ....

One big thing to bear in mind before you take the plunge though is magseal. It's why I bought (got sold, really) a Caldia. It does seem to make  the reel excellently water resistant. But, with magseal you either have to stick with Daiwa servicing or go renegade on them and do unsupported (unsupported by Daiwa that is) maintenance yourself. This voids your warranty and can be a bit unnerving at first. I dunno if Shimano reels have a similar must be manufacturer serviced warranty condition ????

My reel went beyond warranty without needing any service, and I've now gone the do it myself route. So far it seems no probs. Once you get in there, it's not really any more complicated than any other reel.

Daiwa won't let anyone have the magseal oil (ferro fluid) they use but you can buy a by all accounts perfectly good alternative for $20 from a Qld speaker repair company. Applying it is not tricky - it only needs to go on one spot (and a bearing, but I've not touched that yet, no need). As far as I can tell the rest of the reel is regular lubes.

There's a FR thread that touches on magseal. And if you search you'll find some Alan Tani threads that go into more detail. NOTE: doing the maintenance is less scary than the threads make it sound. You can bet everyone jumps online looking for help and then, when they figure out what they're doing, most of them don't post ....

Edited by HenryR
too many reasons ....

7 hours ago, HenryR said:

hey lachie,

I can't speak for current Caldias but I've got an older one, a 2010 model Caldia 2000, and it's been really good. And I believe Daiwa have got better at making magseal reels since then.

The only point of comparison I have for it are Sedonas - what I used for years before running up against their limitations - and a 2000 Certate.

As you might expect, the Caldia was a massive improve on Sedonas. Muuuuch nicer to use and much more durable. I've put mine through a pretty hard time. Multiple dunkings, some of them in saltwater, and a lot of kayak induced salt spray in the last 18months - all with, until recently no internal maintenance required at all!

Compared to the Certate - I can't tell the difference. Actually, I think I marginally prefer the Caldia because I like its clicker noise more ....

One big thing to bear in mind before you take the plunge though is magseal. It's why I bought (got sold, really) a Caldia. It does seem to make  the reel excellently water resistant. But, with magseal you either have to stick with Daiwa servicing or go renegade on them and do unsupported (unsupported by Daiwa that is) maintenance yourself. This voids your warranty and can be a bit unnerving at first. I dunno if Shimano reels have a similar must be manufacturer serviced warranty condition ????

My reel went beyond warranty without needing any service, and I've now gone the do it myself route. So far it seems no probs. Once you get in there, it's not really any more complicated than any other reel.

Daiwa won't let anyone have the magseal oil (ferro fluid) they use but you can buy a by all accounts perfectly good alternative for $20 from a Qld speaker repair company. Applying it is not tricky - it only needs to go on one spot (and a bearing, but I've not touched that yet, no need). As far as I can tell the rest of the reel is regular lubes.

There's a FR thread that touches on magseal. And if you search you'll find some Alan Tani threads that go into more detail. NOTE: doing the maintenance is less scary than the threads make it sound. You can bet everyone jumps online looking for help and then, when they figure out what they're doing, most of them don't post ....

Thanks mate you've just given me more of a reason to splash the cash and finally get one. And thanks for the advice on the magseal maintenance

1 minute ago, xerotao said:

With the clearance sales on them they would be a good buy for the price.

But im not sure how you can compare a sedona to a caldia then to a certate

they are so different and are in different price ranges

The sales are the exact reason why I'm looking at getting one and even more so now that you get a cheeky $200 package of gear from tackleworld if you buy a reel over $100 from the Father's Day sale

2 hours ago, lachie1325 said:

The sales are the exact reason why I'm looking at getting one and even more so now that you get a cheeky $200 package of gear from tackleworld if you buy a reel over $100 from the Father's Day sale

Oh nice, i have not heard of this

On 19/08/2017 at 6:12 PM, xerotao said:

But im not sure how you can compare a sedona to a caldia then to a certate

xeratao, don't be too mean about the wacky comparisons I made :blush:. I did declare my cards when I said they were the only points of comparison I had. I'd love to be across more gear but I'm not, I was just being straight up about that

I actually think the Certate comparison is kind of interesting. The reels are in different price brackets, sure. But I've fished the two side by side for years: mostly bass, trout, carp, bream, eps, flatties, lots of light line salmon, jewies and last summer some mack tuna, bonito, etc. I use the two interchangeably, I swap them between rods and swap the spools between the reels.

And while I can't shake the thought that the Certate is a classier reel - and I really can't shake that thought. It's clear that when it comes to actual fishing, for me at least, there's no difference between the two. They are different colours, their clickers make different noises. But that is almost it.

Not once have I been somewhere, or tied into a fish and thought; damn! I wish I was using the other reel.

I've had both reels in pieces. There's a few bits that are plastic in the Caldia that are metal in the Certate but apart from that, to my inexpert eye, their innards looks very similar too.

Study: $90 wine tastes better than the same wine at $10

https://www.cnet.com/news/study-90-wine-tastes-better-than-the-same-wine-at-10/

Yay for the sales lachie ! I've bought all my reels on sale. Mostly they were last year's models. The Caldia even came with a free spare spool - a feature I think every reel should have  !!

Edited by HenryR
had to take out a comment about bail arm trip housing being different - because they aren't really ...

a qualifier to my almost rant above because I think it makes me sound even more clueless than I am and confuses the point.

I'm not suggesting that a Caldia and a Certate are the same reel. They are not. If I pay close attention to my reels, I can tell the difference. The point I was trying to make is that if you're a punter like me - keen and fish very regularly but still a punter. Then, my impression is, in practice there's very little if anything at all to separate the two reels. And the point, I think to be taken from that is not that reel makers are having a lend of at the pricier end of the market. The point is, that in making the step up from reels in the will-suffice price bracket to mid-range reels with 'nice' features, if you like your fishing and fish regularly, you actually gain some very significant ground for extra money spent.

Edited by HenryR

I have owned a lot of reels over the last 50 years, boy are they good today compared to 30 years ago.   Your all spoilt !!!!!!!!!!

I am now using a mix of Daiwa and Shimano.  The Aegis is superb, and so is the new Stradic hk ci4+.   They are $300 reels.  I find a big difference between these and the $200 , and a huge difference to the $100.    But a $ 600 reel is only a little better.   Depends on wether you want to feel good about using an expensive reel,and be aware of the difference, or forget it and  fish.    I swap between a $350 reel and an $89 reel each outing, and am not aware of the difference.   All I remember is how nice the both feel and the fish I catch. One of my favourite outfits is a 1 to 3 kg Shakespeare Slingshot 7 foot rod, with a Daiwa Revos MX 2000 reel.  Both rod and reel around $80 Each.  When I think about it the Aegis and Stradic do feel nice! And yes they will last longer.  Howard  .