Braid self tie Knot

blaxland

Some how my braid tied a loop in its self. Its at a length from the hook of a good cast. I cant untie it and have tested it it seems solid my question is should I just trim off the loop and keep fishing or cut it out and use a double uni  to rejoin or replace the line as I dont think there is enough left to just cut off and retie leader any suggestions?

I'd try my absolute best to undo the knot first. Maybe try pull it apart with pliers, use a sewing needle to send the end of the line back through the knot. There have been a lot of knots I haven't been able to untie by hand, but both of those tricks have worked for me.

hmmmm .... this is a frequent problem in offshore fishing....and one that is compounded when you're trolling with 30-50m out and a hooked wayward misbehaving kingfish decides to go dart across and tangle the lines, or a newbie at the helm turns the corner just a tad to sharp.... what to do when all 4  braid lines are knotted with about 30-50m still behind the boat !!!

Cut and rejoin is the only solution that I have found.

Double uni has not failed me...but generally offshore we are fishing heavier braid.

Cheers

Zoran

When trolling l would best recommend using mono for that reason plus you have a better chance of landing more fish when trolling.

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

hmmmm .... this is a frequent problem in offshore fishing....and one that is compounded when you're trolling with 30-50m out and a hooked wayward misbehaving kingfish decides to go dart across and tangle the lines, or a newbie at the helm turns the corner just a tad to sharp.... what to do when all 4  braid lines are knotted with about 30-50m still behind the boat !!!

Cut and rejoin is the only solution that I have found.

Double uni has not failed me...but generally offshore we are fishing heavier braid.

Cheers

Zoran

When trolling l would best recommend using mono for that reason plus you have a better chance of landing more fish when trolling.

19 hours ago, Psycho fisho said:

Cut and use the fg knot way better  then the Uni to Uni 

Not sure FG works braid to braid

On 9/7/2017 at 5:44 PM, Regan said:

i would just tie a new knot to be on the safe side of things

yep I guess just writing the post sorted it out in my mind Ive tied the knot and now have 150mtres of new 10lb braid for the future.

On 9/9/2017 at 5:37 PM, big Neil said:

Very helpful Squid Inc, thank you. BN

On 9/9/2017 at 9:20 PM, blaxland said:

Thanks squid inc Ill put a chapstick in the tackle box

No problem, I've tried it a few times with mixed results. Some tangles are worse than others.