Monster Bream still haunting the beach

RexSenior

Hi Raiders

As usual had to take my 30min drive past at least 10 beaches to find decent worms.

Finally got some beauties and headed for Blacksmiths Beach.

Only had a couple of hours to fish just after low tide, I'd love to see what the after dark high would have brought!

Ended up with a mixed bag, biggest bream going 43cm, threw half a dozen back to live another day :)

A tip for this beach is as follows: - In calm conditions, cast baits towards the sand bar even when very shallow (less than 30cm). Your bait will spend a lot of time doing nothing in shallow water however the decent fish seem to chase the waves onto the bar seeing looking for food that's been stirred up. The biggest bream had a gut full of crushed pippis.

Cheers, James.

IMG_4658.JPG

Worm.jpg

Edited by RexSenior
Tried to rotate image

A good feed there, some nice fish.

I have seen bream and whiting in shallow and fairly calm water before, hunting along the edge of a bank looking for food. Some people try to cast to New Zealand when the fish are close in to shore.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

A good feed there, some nice fish.

I have seen bream and whiting in shallow and fairly calm water before, hunting along the edge of a bank looking for food. Some people try to cast to New Zealand when the fish are close in to shore.

Spot on Yowie.

It's taken me way too long to realise this and so many trips could have been better.

As a kid if I wasn't fishing I was reading a fishing mag / book (hence the nickname Rex) and unfortunately most of them swear by fishing the deepest water on the beach. Great for some species however we need to be mindful of where their food is!

Another point which has given me more success is to cover as much ground as possible. cast sideways as well as long and short, sometimes you can find a honey-hole that will deliver time and time again!

2 hours ago, RexSenior said:

Spot on Yowie.

It's taken me way too long to realise this and so many trips could have been better.

As a kid if I wasn't fishing I was reading a fishing mag / book (hence the nickname Rex) and unfortunately most of them swear by fishing the deepest water on the beach. Great for some species however we need to be mindful of where their food is!

Another point which has given me more success is to cover as much ground as possible. cast sideways as well as long and short, sometimes you can find a honey-hole that will deliver time and time again!

I learnt as a kid fishing in Lake Illawarra when down there on holidays, that the whiting would be feeding in less than knee deep water on the run-up tide.

Wade about in the water, pump squirt worms, and catch a good feed of whiting, while those in the boats would catch a couple. I also fished out of a small rowboat for a good feed as well, but many would motor out past me in their boats, straight over the schools of whiting that were swimming near my feet.