Port Stephens- Family Whiting Fun

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Well with both the wife's and my holidays drawing to a close, we decided to head out in the bay with the younger ones and pick up a feed of whiting! 

The wind was blowing a little bit harder than I would have liked but we still managed to find a few spots to get our fix! The whiting were coming thick and fast right from the go and the kids had a ball. 

A quick drop off to the takeaway shop for hot chips for lunch and back on the boat to collect a few more. It was a great day out on the water with the family! 

Tight lines all,

cheers scratchie!!! IMG_0961.JPGIMG_0978.JPG

54 minutes ago, DaveTheBoy said:

Good on you mate!!

Cheers

19 minutes ago, Gutamouth said:

Gotta be happy with that Jeff nice feed there. Were you just using bait or did you get the poppers out? Your posts make me miss living in the bay a lot! Lol 

Cheers. Yep just using prawn! I use the poppers in the summer months when the water is warmer! 

was fishing under the bridge at hawksnest on that exact day, caught a heap of whiting but threw them all back didnt even know about trumpeter whiting until later haha, ah well will keep enough for a feed next time! will have the yak tho aswell will try and upgrade a couple into big flatties ;)

1 hour ago, tomcat8819 said:

was fishing under the bridge at hawksnest on that exact day, caught a heap of whiting but threw them all back didnt even know about trumpeter whiting until later haha, ah well will keep enough for a feed next time! will have the yak tho aswell will try and upgrade a couple into big flatties ;)

They are in the bay in massive numbers. They taste exactly the same as sand whiting imo! 

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

They are in the bay in massive numbers. They taste exactly the same as sand whiting imo! 

yeh my mate who lives up there said they are nearly in plague proportion makes sense with the no size limit just the bag limit. was being lazy and catching them on nippers gonna pull out the sugapen next time, do you think the 90mm would be too big for these little guys or they will just wolf it down still?

5 minutes ago, tomcat8819 said:

yeh my mate who lives up there said they are nearly in plague proportion makes sense with the no size limit just the bag limit. was being lazy and catching them on nippers gonna pull out the sugapen next time, do you think the 90mm would be too big for these little guys or they will just wolf it down still?

I target sand whiting on poppers in the warmer months. That size is definitely to big. I use between 45-55. 

On 10/11/2017 at 7:14 PM, Scratchie said:

I target sand whiting on poppers in the warmer months. That size is definitely to big. I use between 45-55. 

have seen blokes on youtube using longer topwater lures but thought it was a tad longer than preferred. i still havent grabbed anything off topwater might have to put it higher up on the to do list, wouldve probs been ideal that morning was a steady 20kmh breeze from all accounts a bit of wind fires them up. good excuse to go back, great area ended up jagging a couple luderick of the esplanade waiting for hot chips to get cooked at the takeaway