Northern Beaches Salmon

drc2076

A free afternoon and an over abundance of salted pilchards and preserved beach worms taking up far too much space in the family freezer was all the reason I needed to head out and fish the afternoon high tide on "Gone Fishing Day". Conditions on the northern beaches were overcast and choppy. Not a lot of visible structure but at least the onshore wind was fairly light so conditions were fishable, and after a 45 minute drive there was no way I wasn't going to be wetting a line.

Got started around 4pm with two hours remaining of the run in tide. Started with the beach worms, but even with a liberal coating of sax scent there were no takers. Was using a two hook rig so added pilchard to one of the hooks and suddenly started getting enquiries. After a few hits I'd bring the rig in to check and sure enough it was the pilchard that was getting the attention, with the worms untouched. Came to the view that these worms were very probably past their use by date. Tossed them into the drink and loaded up the rig with pillies.

As the sun started going down the bite started coming on. First fish landed for the day was a small Aussie Salmon running to about 35cm. Unless I ended up with an irresistible table fish, today was only going to be catch and release. So back he went. Next up was a small, just legal, flathead. I sent him back as well in the hopes of something bigger. Unfortunately, what came in over the next hour was another 3-4 small flatties, all well shy of legal. Next up a decent sized dart and then another couple of small flatties. All released.

It was getting near dark and I was starting to think about heading home. Had caught plenty of fish so I already considered the time well spent. By now the tide had started to run out. One last cast. Loaded up another couple of pillies and tossed them into what remained of the gutter I'd been fishing. The rig had barely had time to settle in the water when something hit it. The rod bent and line began to peel off the drag at a great rate. Earlier in the afternoon I'd been busted off in a random clump of kelp so I'd sized up my leader from 12lb to 20lb, and now I was thanking my stars for having done so. Took me a good ten minutes to get it under control. When I finally turned his head and beached him I'd landed a PB Aussie Salmon running just over 70cm. I couldn't help myself. I had to run down the beach and ask another fisho to come down and get a photo before I lost the light entirely. He kindly obliged. After the photos the fish was successfully released back into the surf and I headed home feeling pretty damn pleased with myself. Tight lines.

Salmon.JPG

Great report and an awesome photo of a beaut fish for the memory book. In my mind it is always worthwhile to take the extra couple of minutes to grab a happy snap or two.

Well done! Can't wait to hit the beach this summer. What length rod were you using?

On 16/10/2017 at 4:45 PM, Regan said:

awesome fish mate,

what type of rod do you use for the surf?

Hi Reagan, I was using my light surf outfit which comprises a Wilson live fibre RLF41/2 6kg rod matched to a Shimano Stradic ci4+ 4000 running 20lb braid. I have a heavier combo on standby for nighttime beach fishing when I chase my elusive surf jewfish. One day . . .

18 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Great report and an awesome photo of a beaut fish for the memory book. In my mind it is always worthwhile to take the extra couple of minutes to grab a happy snap or two.

Well done! Can't wait to hit the beach this summer. What length rod were you using?

Cheers. No way I was leaving that beach without photographic proof! Rod was a Wilson live fibre RLF41/2 6kg. Rod length 10ft 6ins.

32 minutes ago, drc2076 said:

Hi Reagan, I was using my light surf outfit which comprises a Wilson live fibre RLF41/2 6kg rod matched to a Shimano Stradic ci4+ 4000 running 20lb braid. I have a heavier combo on standby for nighttime beach fishing when I chase my elusive surf jewfish. One day . . .

ok thanks heaps

27 minutes ago, COASTIE 01 said:

nice salmon mate

Cheers Coastie. As the weather warms and the beach crowds in Sydney grow I'll be relocating my beach fishing to central coast beaches. Always enjoy the extra elbow room.

1 hour ago, drc2076 said:

Cheers Coastie. As the weather warms and the beach crowds in Sydney grow I'll be relocating my beach fishing to central coast beaches. Always enjoy the extra elbow room.

yes very true,

where do you fish up here, never really went beach fishing, more in the easturies

1 hour ago, COASTIE 01 said:

yes very true,

where do you fish up here, never really went beach fishing, more in the easturies

Grew up on the central coast so I get around a bit to a few old land based haunts when time and family visits permit. Love it all really. In the summer Wamberal and North Entrance would be my go to beaches. Putty and Tallow can also be good. In the cooler months I'd enjoy wash fishing for drummer at Norah Head and Avoca (though usually too crowded these days) or chasing luderick around the Entrance. I'll also happily wade the sand flats at the Entrance, Saratoga, Hardys Bay, Umina and Patonga in search of flatties. If I'm feeling lucky I've known the sailing club, the Gosford railway bridge and the Punt bridge at East Gosford to produce decent fish on occasion. Makes me feel a bit nostalgic! Being a bit time poor I don't get up as much as I'd like so the northern beaches and Pittwater are my more usual locations these days.