Lure to line: Direct or Snaps/Swivels?

HaydenO

I'm starting to get sick of cutting my leader just so I can change my lure. I hate changing the leader after it gets too short so I'm considering starting to use a snap swivel but I'm not sure, what are your thoughts and opinions from experience?

Edited by HaydenO

Yep, getting sick of it myself. So last weekend I changed it to Leader -> Swivel -> Split ring -> Lure

Was also hoping that the swivel would reduce line twist as well.

Results didn't seem too bad but will need to test it out for a bit longer before I decide its a far better option.

Currently only use the snap swivels on Squid Jigs, not soo much on stickbaits & poppers.

im just trying out using small snaps only  no swivel  less weight and they don't detract from lure action..im using two brands of small oval shaped snaps that lock two separate ways [crossed over clips]  they are tiny but rated at 70lbs...better than choppin trace and replacing all the time..rick

Lately I've been tying a swivel at the end of my main and using a snap on the end of a FC leader. Snap attaches to the swivel and I tie on the lure. I have about 5 leaders ready at a given time and once tied to a lure they can stay paired for a session or even a few sessions. Lets me change lures quickly without cutting line. 

I re-tie the main swivel occasionally just in case. If a leader starts to look dodgy I can re-tie or even replace it with a spare and either re-tie it later or bin it if it's worn. 

59 minutes ago, HaydenO said:

Those little twisty snap things? Just curious, what makes them better than a snap or a swivel?

Generally smaller and no moveable parts. The ratings are also stronger from memory and just as easy to use! In saying that, I'm happy to tie all lures straight to leader. I only use them whilst bass fishing! 

im only trying them on bass as I tend to change lures often as where we fish changes so much from pool to pool   .the decoy egg snaps seem to be the pick of them at moment .strength for size is excellent..for cod I prefer to tie direct with loop..same for flatties with large sps...rick

I don't use them, I have to re-ty my lures regularly because of abrasion from snags which is going to happen snap or no snap. Practice your loop knots to use minimal leader and you can end up getting quite a lot of reties out of one leader

15 hours ago, Rob81 said:

Yep, getting sick of it myself. So last weekend I changed it to Leader -> Swivel -> Split ring -> Lure

Was also hoping that the swivel would reduce line twist as well.

Results didn't seem too bad but will need to test it out for a bit longer before I decide its a far better option.

Currently only use the snap swivels on Squid Jigs, not soo much on stickbaits & poppers.

Let me know how you go, that's what I was planning to do

Guest Guest123456789
16 hours ago, HaydenO said:

I'm starting to get sick of cutting my leader just so I can change my lure. I hate changing the leader after it gets too short so I'm considering starting to use a snap swivel but I'm not sure, what are your thoughts and opinions from experience?

Definitely sympathesise with your annoyance at often re-tying lures.

A left field solution is to go all mono. Two of my lightest set ups on 1000 and 3000 reels I've spooled up with .21mm and .27mm stiff mono in part because I get sick of replacing leader. The other reason is that I troll in the estuary and ribbon weed fouls up around the leader knot. I also like to use floater baits in the current and I like the extra buoyancy of mono opposed to braid. Still use braid though for spinning and for larger species with 20lbs. Or for fishing for luderick and off the beach as the lower diameter of braid is needed.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

9 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Swordie and I will be going bass fishing in a few weeks and pretty sure we will use Norman speed clips - very handy indeed. 

I like the Norman speed clips.  Have to buy some more! I like to change lures a lot.  The Normans don't interfere too much with the action, or catch up on the lure, unlike snap swivels.