First Jewfish

blaxland

Hi Raiders went for a fish this morning put in at Roseville about dawn. head out to look for some squid tried everywhere from mosman to southhead and only managed one as my elder daughter put in a request I had to keep it for the table. Wind was chilly so headed over to the north of the harbour and found some shelter, put out some california squid, one weighted and one floating and started flicking sp. The floating squid gets taken by some heavy slow swimmer that I cant make any ground on and I lose a hook, The weighted one gets picked to bits. Put out another squid a bit shallower and a pilly tail on the floater. Mean while I get a very good flathead only to lose that at the boat trying to lift it in without the net, berkly 4'minnow in watermelon pearl did the damage, cursing myself I tie another and start over then the  baitrunner starts running click it into gear and think im on to something good especially with a few good runsTo my amazement up comes a jewfish this time I use the net, measured 83cm weight about 4.5Kg = very happy fisherman

Mulloway.jpg

2 hours ago, blaxland said:

yep thats the one whole white squid frozen in a little block larger boxes also available. Now I will have to include them in my must have bait along with the humble pilly

Yeah it’s good stuff 

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work on the jew.

Memo to self - 'always use the net for a large flattie' - so many are lost on the final lift out of the water.

Yes just changed the leader back to 20lb mono but will still use the net