That stupid reverse switch on spinning reels

DerekD

Hi All,

I've been fishing for over 40 years and in all that time I have never understood the reason for the switch which changes the spinning reel from a single direction wind to being able to wind either direction. As an engineer I can usually work out why a piece of equipment has been designed a certain way but that didn't help me in this case. The best I could come up with was maybe to allow line to be pulled off as a fish moves off but flicking the bail arm or backing off the drag are better ways of achieving this. Within reason I have hated that switch as it is another thing which can go wrong and it is a potential point of ingress for contaminants. I was glad when I started hearing about manufacturers getting rid of that switch.

I decided to see if I could finally work out why the bloody thing was there. Fortunately living in this wonderful age of the internet my research was made a lot easier. I have finally found a reason which makes some sense (although I still think is a stupid system).

Turns out there is a method of fighting a fish referred to as back reeling and there were some people out there who were big advocates of it. When the fish was on the line and pulling away from you could slowly back reel and let line out and then pull line back in when the run had stopped. Some of these people didn't trust the drag back then so this was the alternate method they used. Apparently there were even reels out there without a drag. There are multiple reasons I think it is stupid method including potential over runs, how well it would work with the fast and powerful runs from fish such as a kingfish (think bruised knuckles), lack of consistency with your fighting pressure but it is an reason which I can accept.

A bit of midweek fishing trivia and if anyone can add a bit more about it then I would love to hear it.

Regards,

Derek

Found it annoying too them switches. Sometimes I would accidentally flip it over it'll basically free spool. What I learnt a number of years ago though was you'd only find those switches on the low end reels of a brand. Typically mid-range to high end wouldn't have them.

Guest Guest123456789

Planned obsolescence. Put simply, designed to break for commercial reasons. Look at Alvey, most durable reels   So no one bought many parts or replacements and they just went bust.

56 minutes ago, Rob81 said:

Found it annoying too them switches. Sometimes I would accidentally flip it over it'll basically free spool. What I learnt a number of years ago though was you'd only find those switches on the low end reels of a brand. Typically mid-range to high end wouldn't have them.

The switches are on high end reels as well. 

36 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nowadays they have one way bearings in the rotor so you cant wind backwards...rick

On reels with a one way bearing the switch disengages it, and it can then wind backwards. 

I have used the reverse switch to untangle my line that was wrapped around the rotor a few times before. I also find the switch handy when doing maintenance on the reel. 

I always thought the switch was an improvement ie spinning reel has evolved first you invent a spinning reel then improve it with anti reverse option. I have never found a use for it while a fish was on the line but i like the option to just loosen a bit for whatever reason

I do not find anti-reverse annoying  - quite opposite  - useful.

I do realize that it is another chance for potential reel problems under heavy use. 

Usually I use anti-reverse to adjust the distance from sinker or lure to the rod tip for better casting.  It can be tricky to adjust the heavy sinker distance by open bail arm at night in winter with frozen hands or without light.

I also use anti-reverse if I keep rigged rods with reels in the car - to remove  pressure on braid or graphite rod tip. 

8 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Planned obsolescence. Put simply, designed to break for commercial reasons. Look at Alvey, most durable reels   So no one bought many parts or replacements and they just went bust.

Most modern Alveys have Drag On/Off switch which can be used as anti-reverse.

10 minutes ago, savit said:

I do not find anti-reverse annoying  - quite opposite  - useful.

I do realize that it is another chance for potential reel problems under heavy use. 

Usually I use anti-reverse to adjust the distance from sinker or lure to the rod tip for better casting.  It can be tricky to adjust the heavy sinker distance by open bail arm at night in winter with frozen hands or without light.

I also use anti-reverse if I keep rigged rods with reels in the car - to remove  pressure on braid or graphite rod tip. 

Most modern Alveys have Drag On/Off switch which can be used as anti-reverse.

To adjust distance from sinker or lure to rod tip, I pull the line in front of the reel off the drag. Much quicker and easier than switching the reverse switch. 

Just now, Hateanchors said:

To adjust distance from sinker or lure to rod tip, I pull the line in front of the reel off the drag. Much quicker and easier than switching the reverse switch. 

May be. I find it easier to use anti-reverse rather than then pull the thin braid with bare hands under 3-5 kg drag.

For lures (with lighter drag) - it is just a habit..