Chasing Flathead with Daiwa Double Clutch

drc2076

Undertook my first serious attempt to catch flathead on hardbody lures this afternoon. Thought I spied a break in the weather and decided to hit the sand flats at the southern end of Pittwater. My weapon of choice was a 90mm Daiwa double clutch. Overall it turned out to be a productive session. Started quite slowly, mainly pulling in weed. Hard bodies do seem more prone to weed collection than SPs. Soon I was getting amongst baby snapper. No keepers but fun to hook up and know that I wasn't on a donut for the trip. My weather forecasting skills proved to be rubbish and soon the heavens opened. It seemed to bring the fish on. A big hit near my feet (dropped) followed by a 37cm and a 49cm flathead over the next 30mins. Released the little one and kept the big one for dinner. With no end in sight to the rain decided to clean the fish (happy pelicans) and head home. A good little session. Can recommend the lure. My one criticism would be that the trebles are a little on the weak side. I had read this and it proved to be true with the larger flattie bending the hooks a little. Will replace them in due course with some owner trebles I have stored away someplace. Tight lines.

I also got one after watching some clips from Sand Flats fishing on Youtube. I agree on the trebles, my hooks snapped after the first session but it's a great lure. I've got salmon, tailor and bream on it. Yet to get my intended species (flattie) on it though.

Hi Damos, 

Great to heat you had a cracking arvo with the hardbody. I own a couple of double clutches, never had an issue with the trebles but then being said I haven’t caught any decent sized flatties on them as of yet. What was the water depth you were fishing out of interest? 

Cheers!

Changed out the trebles this morning. There's got to be an easier way! Between fat thumbs and old eyes it was quite the ordeal. Finally got the last treble replaced and felt like running around the house looking for someone to high five. No takers. ? Might just go to a tackle shop in future and ask them to do it. Happy to pay. Life's too short to experience that degree of frustration on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, Short said:

Hey mate grab a cheapo pair of split ring pliers from the tackle shop. Will make those tasks much easier.

The split ring is too small for regular split ring pliers. Need some sort of micro tool. Does such a thing exist?

Hi DRC:

Do not let the rain put you off fishing in that area.

South of Rowland Reserve can fish really well after heavy rain.

I have caught good fish up in there when you think you should be using a shovel!!:lol:

Flathead and bream mostly.

Have caught large bream in there which were full of garden snails so who knows how far up the creek alongside the High School they went.

Probably near into Mona Vale shopping centre!!

Lures are a bit of a lottery.

Have caught fish on Gold ,bright  blue and silver and poddy mullet colour.

A lot of success also on a nauseus bright pink with either black bars or dots on it.

Maybe it frightened them or something but it looked like nothing you would see naturally in the water!:o

SO give it a go in the wet and anything weird or wonderful in the box chuck it in and gice it a go.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

OR get one hell of a shock!!:lol:

Good Hunting.

Cheers.

Roger.

16 hours ago, drc2076 said:

The split ring is too small for regular split ring pliers. Need some sort of micro tool. Does such a thing exist?

Yes, there is a wonderful little split ring tool from Smith (Smith Split Ring Pincette).  It is priceless for small hard bodies and changing hooks.  I highly recommend checking them out, I have owned a couple for many years and they have made life sooo much easier.  Pretty available from most tackle stores both shop and online.

Cheers

Windy

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes, there is a wonderful little split ring tool from Smith (Smith Split Ring Pincette).  It is priceless for small hard bodies and changing hooks.  I highly recommend checking them out, I have owned a couple for many years and they have made life sooo much easier.  Pretty available from most tackle stores both shop and online.

Cheers

Windy

Fantastic. You've just single handedly saved my eyesight and sanity. Many thanks!

17 minutes ago, Pafisho08 said:

HI 

Smith Split Ring Pincette are the best for small split rings .Have used them for some years now . Excellent quality.

I would recommend Owner Trebles size 10 .

Regds Bob

Great advice. Sourced and ordered. Many thanks.

On 13/12/2017 at 6:51 AM, Adsy91 said:

Slightly off topic but my summer holiday mission is to get a metrey on a swimbait on the shallows. Those new zerek live mullet look like a good place to start.

Will post reports when i get out there ?

Best of luck! I've certainly had more success with plastics than with hard bodies but nothing in the 1m range! I'm liking hard bodies at the moment as they cast like a bullet and it gives me the opportunity to wade sand flat shallows on a run out tide which is a pretty relaxing and enjoyable way to fish.

• 2 months later...

Had a nice session this morning with these in Lake Cathie. Me and a mate got a dozen keeper flatties between us and 10 of those on the 95mm double clutch. Used to fish with the 75mm but they just swallowed them. Went to the 95mm and they still swallow them. Absolute bitch to get out with 3 trebles so I take middle one out and replace front and back with Owners. The hooks they come with ok for whiting but your first decent flattie will totally wreck them!

IMG_1726.JPG

• Like 1